main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Home In Time for Supper--Wraith Squadron/OCs >>Update! 1/6<<

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Xaara, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    wonderful post, darling...the devolping relationship between between Face and Alahna, apart from being deep and meaningful, is also very sweet... and mush is good! *hint* :p :D and looks like Jax, aka Nascha's first experiment, has a ready-made job courtesy of Nascha..who's *giggle* qualified to heal flimsi cuts! yay!

don't mind me and my sugar-induced insanity...and i won't mind yours...j/k

-JSD

2. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Hehehe...I wonder if Face will join her in the Mynock.

I'm re-reading Iron Fist again now. It always takes me a long time to do so, because I HATE reading about Ton's death. In fact, the first time I read it, I put it down after Ton died and didn't pick it up again for over two years!

3. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not worrying, _RogueFire_, or at least not yet... ;) As for the dedication, well, I always appreciate courageous lurkers who come and post. *bows* Thank you!

Despite the fact that Ton dies in Iron Fist (or perhaps because he dies in it) that particular book has always held a special place in my heart. I read somewhere that Allston originally intended for Ton to die in Wraith Squadron, but eventually ended up killing him off in Iron Fist instead. I'm glad that worked out the way it did, because it allowed for Face's character to develop along with Ton's.

I'm just glad to know you're reading, TKeira. Keep on stopping by!

Jaina_Solo_Durron: Mush? You see mush somewhere? *pulls out a shotgun* Mush, have you been sneaking onto my thread again? :D

But seriously, thank you! I love the way Jax and Nascha get along, because their relationship is so easy and effortless. (Don't you wish the real world was like that?)

Geez, Guinastasia...and I thought I was upset when Ton died! (Actually, I think that's why I like writing him so much. I'm still in the stage of denial.) Thank you for reading!

4. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    If you like Ton, then I'm going to do a little shameless plugging:

I've Got You Under My Skin. It's a story set after Vision of the Future-it's AU-Ton didn't die after he crashed, he was just forced to retire. So he went back to medicine.

5. _RogueFire_

_RogueFire_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2003
    You know Xaara I also heard that Allston was suppose to kill Ton in Wraith Squadron. I agree it was a good thing that he didn?t so that the impact of his death on Face was more real and deep.

Iron Fist has had a special place in my heart too. That was the book where I first met the Wraith?s just like Bacta War was where I first met the Rogue?s. As you can see I didn?t read the series in the order I was suppose to.

It?s been so long since I read Iron fist. I think I?m going to read to again now?you inspired me. ;)

6. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks for the heads-up, Giun. I'll head over there right away.

I know all about reading the X-wing books in the wrong order, _RogueFire_--I started with Wraith Squadron because that was the only SW book left in our tiny bookstore. Later, I wanted to get Iron Fist because I liked the Wraiths, but it turned out that the only book I could find then was Wedge's Gamble... And so on and so forth. :p By all means, read it again! I go through my entire collection of X-wing books at least once a month. :)

7. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    i personally prefer the wraith squadron books to the other x-wing ones, with the possible exclusion of starfighters of adumar cos it was so damned FUNNY, which is the same reason i like the wraiths - they're light-hearted and joking around adn torturing each other with pranks in the middle of a war instead of sitting around moping like certain rogues do...and the extra wes-ness is always good :p

UP!

mush is still good :p :D

-JSD

8. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I know what you mean, JSD. The Wraiths are often introspective while still remaining generally optimistic, unlike certain *cough*Corran*cough* people who can't get it together enough to actually make up their minds about, well, anything.

Besides the fact that SoA was a highly entertaining book, I liked it because it focused a great deal on Wedge, instead of on a squadron per se. (Of course, as I'm typing this, I'm remembering Wes' flatscreen cloak and grinning despite myself, so I can't rule out the funny end of things.) :)

9. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    Wes-ness is good...it's probably the world's fastest acting, least-side-effects and most effective antidepressant, no?

lol...flatscreen cloaks, blastswords and hero worship...SoA was definitely fantastic...the lack of Corran-ness didn't hurt, either...

please don't kill us, Corran-fans!

-JSD

10. _RogueFire_

Mar 24, 2003
    Xaara I know what you mean about the only book left in the book store. I read Iron fist second because the book store was having a sale for 3 books for $10 (that?s Australian!!) How cheap. So I bought it cause I read Bacta War before that and it was good.

I use to read my books all the time. They are so battered and worn. But after a while my last year of high school kicked in and I no longer had time...

Jaina_Solo_Durron I loved Starfighters of Adumar too. I couldn?t stop laughing. You just named the reason why I love the Wraith?s. While I don?t really prefer the Wraith book (since I love them all) my favourite book is actually Solo Command. I personally don?t think it was as well written as Iron Fist, but I just love it for some reason.

Hey you guys don't get me started on SoA funny moments!! :D

Hey I know my post is long enough but I have to ask?Am I the only one who thinks that the X-Wing series doesn?t really focus on Wedge that much. I mean when I heard that Lucas intended the X-Wing series to be all about Wedge I was shocked. The Rogue books are more about Corran. It was not until SoA that we really saw Wedge.

11. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    true, true...and everyone knows wedge is more interesting than corran :p in my opinion anyway...somehow corran ended up brooding and predictable, while Wedge was driven slowly insane by the rogues, wraiths and Wes in particular...

_RogueFire_, are you Australian?

cos if you are, that's about five people i know on the JCF who are...

-JSD

12. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    JSD: Wes-ness is good...it's probably the world's fastest acting, least-side-effects and most effective antidepressant, no? Well, I don't know about the least-side-effects part... :D Wedge is my all-time favorite male SW character (though Han comes in a close second, and Wes, Tycho, Hobbie, Ton, Face, and the rest of the Wraiths and Rogues are pretty much all in there, too).

_RogueFire_: My copy of Wraith Squadron is practically falling apart, and my copies (yes, two--my grandmother sent me one :) ) of Iron Fist aren't in much better shape. I won't even go into the conditions of all the rest of my SW books. I never really interpreted the X-wingers as being about Wedge--speaking in general terms, the Rogues are about Corran, the Wraiths are initially about Kell and then about Face, and Isard's Revenge is about...do I have any takers here? ;)

P.S: I'm working on the final stages of a post right now, so it should be up tonight. (Which, I suppose I should add, is afternoon board time.)

13. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    General Cracken was not a happy man, at least not judging by the expression on his face as he talked to Wedge from across the pilot's desk. I was so close, Wedge thought wistfully. Two minutes later and I would have been gone on the mission, and he would have had to draft this into a message and send it. It was not that he particularly resented having to listen to Cracken or particularly wanted to leave for Noráshi, but more that Wedge did not feel a deep desire to do either. Although the animosity between the two men had lessened greatly with a good night's sleep and a chance to think the problem over, Wedge still entertained a vague sense of annoyance at the older man for allowing a dangerous criminal through Intel.

His brain sifted through the report Cracken was reading from his datapad, automatically storing the pertinent information?of which there was precious little?and discarding personal commentary, meaningless statistics, and other unnecessary details.

"What that all boils down to," Cracken said finally, "is that we don't know exactly what happened to your pilot.

"At first, we thought she had been hit by a weapon discharged from the Inescapable, currently orbiting Coruscant. After due consideration, we abandoned that theory as highly unlikely, and took up the theory that you and Lieutenant Janson seemed to support; namely, that it was a case of deliberate sabotage. This suggestion was reviewed by a team of our best Intel analysts, who scrutinized the records of hangar activity around the destroyed X-wing."

Grimacing, Cracken said, "What we found was highly disturbing. There was no unexplained activity around the ship; rather, there was an unexplained absence of activity. For roughly fifteen minutes of our recorded time, there is absolutely no one in the section of the hangar covered by camera twelve, the camera which showed Wraith Two's X-wing. We haven't determined yet whether that absence of activity was sliced into the system, but if we assume that it was, we can take that a step further and guess that your saboteur is either a very good slicer or has a friend helping him."

The news hit Wedge like a blow to the stomach. He sat back in his seat, took a deep breath to ease the tightness in his chest, and let his mind go mercifully blank. A minute passed before he asked, "Does the crew of the Inescapable know anything about it?"

Cracken frowned again. "Captain Ertil Garrec assures us that his defection is sincere and that he is innocent of any wrongdoing. We've been questioning him and some of the members of his crew for quite some time now, and none of them has slipped and revealed anything about the incident that is not common knowledge. Either they actually don't know who did it, or they are extraordinarily well-trained."

An uncomfortable silence lagged in the conversation. After a moment, Wedge glanced rather indiscreetly at his wrist chrono, heaved a sigh, and stood. "I'm sorry to cut this short, General, but I have to go the hangar. We're due to take off in roughly ten minutes."

"We'll continue to look into it."

"Thank you for your time, General. I'd appreciate notification if anything new comes up."

"Consider it done."

The two men?one weathered by constant stress and fatigue, the other younger but no less subject to the pain of his chosen career?stared at each other for a long moment before Wedge hazarded the tiniest of smiles. Though Cracken did not smile back, the miniscule crinkling around his eyes indicated that he understood, and Wedge breathed an internal sigh of relief. An exchange of salutes later and each exited the office, walking purposefully in opposite directions.

Wedge arrived in the hanger a short time later, his practical cloth duffel bag slung over one shoulder. When he saw Admiral Ackbar waiting at the blast doors that marked the entrance, he hurriedly moved the bag to his left hand to salute with his right. "Sir."

The admiral returned the gesture. "Good luck, Commander." He extended a datac

14. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    oh, goodness...that was spectacular enough to be a novel in itself - you could be a great x-wing author, Xaara, why you waste your considerable talents on us is unknown...

He's the one sitting over there trying to pretend he doesn't know those of you who are taking bets on how soon I'll push Loran and Phanan out the airlock.

Lieutenant Arii will take the position of Wraith Two for this mission. He may or may not be a permanent addition to the squadron. Introduce yourselves. Don't frighten him away. Try to be careful with his sanity.

heeheehee

-JSD

15. _RogueFire_

Mar 24, 2003
    Wow Xaara!! Great post. As always? :D

That?s what I?ve been saying! The Rogues books are about Corran and the first Wraith book is about Kell, then Iron fist is about Face and finally Solo Command is about Myn.

Jaina_Solo_Durron ? I?m not going to say I was born here, but I did grow up here and Australia is the only home I remember. :)

The reason why you only know only about 5 people that are Australians on the boards is because SW is not really big here. I mean when we studied SW at school this year nobody knew the difference between Luke and Han!!

16. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    "Make her proud."

*sniff* :(

I started with The Bacta War which really kind of screwed up the spoilers, naturally. Speaking of, I wish Stackpole would try and do some stories about Tycho instead of Corran all the time. Tycho is so much cooler (though I do love Corran-he's pretty funny!) and I love him and Winter-they're my favorite EU couple.

17. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    Isn't the new banner neat? The colors are a lot easier on my eyes now that they've done away with the yellows--it's a lot more like when I first came to the boards and they were almost exclusively grey.

[face_blush] Thanks, JSD. I've always looked at posting here as sort of a hobby--though lately it's become almost a part-time job. (Not that that's a bad thing: writing is fun no matter what the reward, and reviews are reward enough for me.) Since I figure that I'll never get to write SW professionally, why not do it here?

Nobody knew the difference between Luke and Han, _RogueFire_? Isn't that vaguely sacreligious? :) And you got to study SW at school? That's really neat--all my teachers except my English teacher (who loves that I write as much as I do regardless of the fact that it's here on the boards) think SW is a huge waste of my time. It would be neat to look at any kind of Sci-Fi in school. Thank you for reading!

Tycho was always one of my favorites, Guin, mostly because he's the different one. I have a few stories about him in various states of planning/completion sitting around on my hard drive. Maybe I'll dust them off and take another hack at them sometime in the near future.

18. _RogueFire_

Mar 24, 2003
    Believe me Xaara I was as surprised as I know you would been when one of my classmates asked "Hah? What?s going on? Which one?s Luke again?" Most of them haven?t even seen any of the Trilogy before we had to watch ?A New Hope? at school let alone know the characters?

Ye we studied Change as a theme for English and ?A New Hope? was the main source we looked into along with a few others. You should have seen me when I heard that SW was going to be our prescribed text! I had to choke down a cheer. :D

I will always read your stuff Xaara. Your a promising writer. Alahna?s recent revelations was deep and heart wrenching. That girl is as unpredictable as a character can get. I like that. She never fails to surprise me. And since you wrote her like that the credit for her is all yours. By any chance are you thinking of writing professionally? You got what it takes I think.

Guinastasia ? I started with the same book and it reunited all the suspense for all the books that came before. That?s why the spy in Rogue Squadron was not a unbelievable secret and ether was Corran?s Jedi thing. I regret reading that book first, but Oh well I still love Bacta War.

Oh and people I have nothing against Corran. He is actually one of my top four favourite characters. I just think that for once Stackpole can have him sit in the back seat and have someone drive for a while.

19. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I wouldn't even bother with the choking down a cheer, _RogueFire_. I'd be cheering for a week! :) Is your teacher a SW fan? (My sixth grade teacher was a huge fan--it was so much fun to talk to her.)

I don't know if I'm thinking about writing professionally. I might be interested in journalism, as I've written several articles for the local paper and found it a great deal of fun. Thanks!

As for Corran, he just didn't give a good first impression. In the first Rogue book I read, Wedge's Gamble he was too angsty and introspective for me. I actually prefer the way some of the people here on the boards write him. :)

20. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    WOOOO! the boards-are-bloody-well-back-UP!

for those who didn't know, the JCF was down from about 11 to 1.30 board time...so it's back now!

as for the SW class study thing, i'd have it finished within a week...my law&commerce teacher last year was a fan, but there's not much SW you can do with law or commerce, unless its suing people...

UP! more soon please Xaara darlin'?

-JSD

21. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    Sorry, no time for replying now, but thanks for the reviews, everyone!

This is not going to work, Myn thought for the billionth time. There is no way I'm going to be able to sleep on this ship. He lay curled up on his right side, a sleeping pad under him and a soft foam pillow over his face, but the raucous sounds of a lively card game a few meters away penetrated the pathetic insulation. Groaning, he sat up and buried his face in his hands. This is not fair.

The new pilot came to sit beside him. "Having a rough day?"

Myn looked up, surprised, and then nodded. "Understatement of the century." He held out a hand. "Myn Donos, Wraith Nine."

Lucio shook the proffered appendage. "Glad to know there's someone around here who's reasonably normal."

"I wouldn't know."

Grinning ruefully, Lucio said, "Well, at least you're not like that one." He pointed at Wes. "He introduced himself as Lieutenant Kettch?said something about Ewoks and growing up on Endor."

"That would be Lieutenant Wes Janson. He thinks he can get away with anything just because he's older than everyone except for the Commander."

Lucio's expression turned contemplative. "Prankster?"

"Another understatement. He's more a squadron plague, especially when other pilots are trying to sleep." Myn gestured at the pad and pillow. "He wasn't here for a week before he started trouble. Although I heard he's even worse when paired up with his friend from Rogue Squadron."

"Well, he's never run up against Special Ops training before."

"Don't underestimate Wes' ability to do something to anyone. If you're tough to get, it just makes it a little more of a challenge." Leaning back against a bulkhead, Myn said, "So why did they pick you? For the squadron, I mean."

"I'm the best," Lucio said simply. "Not necessarily at flying," he amended, "but at infiltration and extraction, I have an almost perfect record. Twenty-six missions, three casualties."

Myn felt his stomach turn. And I have one mission, eleven casualties. He forced a feeble smile. "Must be pretty difficult."

Lucio shrugged. "I've been doing it all my life. I used to sneak in and out of my parents' house all the time as a kid, and I was never caught. I guess I just developed an eye for situations."

"Then you're here as an expert on threat assessment. You didn't screw up royally on something or other?"

The puzzled look on Lucio's face flashed for a moment and was gone. "Not on anything that I know of. Why?"

"We're all supposed to be screwups. Screwups, washouts, people who can't get in anywhere else. You mean to tell me that you're actually here because Antilles wanted you?"

"I think he cut some sort of deal with Gars, my CO. One day I'm a spook with Boreas Squadron and the next day I'm flying out with Wraith Squadron, commanded by Wedge Antilles. As for screwing up, I can tell you that once I slipped on a wet spot on a museum floor and knocked down a bust of Mon Mothma, but that's pretty much it. How about you?"

That's none of your business. "I had some trouble with my first squadron command," Myn said vaguely, hoping Lucio would question him no further. His hopes were futile.

"What squadron?" Lucio asked, seemingly out of genuine curiosity.

Myn took a deep breath. I don't have to share this with someone I met three minutes ago. Exhaling, he said, "Talon."

"Talon Squadron? Wasn't that the one?oh." Lucio closed his mouth abruptly, evidently realizing the implications of Myn's words. Though there was not exactly a silence, the conversation stopped. "I was sorry to hear about that," Lucio said at length. "Regardless of what you might think, it's not a reflection on your command skills. If anything, it was Intel's fault."

The same way the infrequency of your losses isn't a credit to your command skills? Sell it to someone who's buying, Arii. "Thanks," Myn grated out. Again, the conversation dropped off, and again, Lucio reinitiated it.

"So how d

22. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jul 3, 2002
    ooooooooooooooh....loved that posty!

will reply more later...must go to school now...

-JSD

23. _RogueFire_

Mar 24, 2003
    Wow!! That was too good!! And Myn is in it. I just love him. Throughout the Wraith Squadron books I just wanted to jump in the book and give him a big hug.

And as for my teacher being a fan?no not really. She know the difference between Luke and Han so I guess that?s a plus. But she was not the one who picked the movie for us to study. We have this Board of Studies here in Australia who tells us what to study. They had a list of movies and other texts for us to pick from and my school picked SW.

24. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    JSD: I noticed a large gap in the times of the posts, but I didn't really think about it. Law and commerce? My law and commerce teacher is a crazy and wonderful old guy who believes that JFK was shot as part of an attempt to cover up the Roswell Incident. *rolls eyes* Star Wars is right up his alley. Thanks! :)

_RogueFire_: Myn is a wonderful character, and an example of how people can be beaten by life and not turn "dark." Yes, he has his dark moments, but he gets over it. What's school like in Australia? Here we have a stupid block schedule, with alternating "A" and "B" days. That means, of course, that one week we have three "A" days and the next week we have three "B" days, unless of course there's a holiday or something... :) But four more days and I won't have to worry about any of that any more!

ANNOUNCEMENT: I'll be leaving for vacation on the 13th or 14th, and returning in roughly three weeks. Then, a month after that, I'll be moving back to the US. Sorry if my posts become a little erratic during that period, but I'll do my best to write ahead so I don't have to go for too long without writing anything. Thanks for understanding. :)

25. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Wow-great! Face and Ton are the best!

Oh, and you still have to pop into the Face and Ton association when you get a chance!

PIRATES!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.