main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Home Is Where the Heart Is. OC Challenge 9 entry

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lola64, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Title: Home Is Where the Heart Is.
    Author: Lola64
    Characters: Halle, Major Kemma,
    Timeframe: NJO
    Summary: After four years in Vong captivity a lost soul will find her home, though it's not where she used to live.
    Notes: For the OC Dueling Challenge, where a character has to be sent on an unplanned trip home and finds out the meaning of the phrase: You can?t go home again.

Walking outside, around the medical building was the only thing the young woman enjoyed about being summoned. One of the aides would come and take her from the hospital ward and slowly go towards an isolated building. She took joy in being in the sunlight, although for a short period of time, and enjoyed the fresh breeze blowing across her weary face.

Unfortunately they would eventually come to the building, to the room that was not very pleasant. You?d think that after her long imprisonment and the lengthy recovery they would conduct their inquisition in more pleasant surroundings.

As she was led inside the tall man pointed to the metal chair against the wall. Each time she would walk right by and take a seat on the floor in the corner, her knees brought up against her chest with her arms wrapping around to keep herself still.

The man, a Major, smiled and pulled the metal chair in front of her and sat down.

?Ready??

His gentle voice and kind smile made her feel at ease so she nodded yes.

A group of questions would always follow. The first of course would be the one that caused her the most distress.

?Can you tell me your name??

For the life of her she couldn?t remember. When she regained consciousness she was asked that question which she couldn?t answer. The doctors told her not to worry. The pieces of coral imbedded in her face and head had been removed but the length of time she was under their control caused temporary memory loss. They just never figured after six months of bacta and mental therapy that it would still have not returned.

She thought hard about it and had to tell them she still didn?t remember.

Usually, ?Can you tell me where you are from?? would be next. To her surprise the Major motioned for his staff to turn down the lights and begin.

?You?re going to see a series of star systems there.? He pointed to the back wall. ?If you see anything that looks even remotely familiar I?d like for you to tell me, ok??

She could. So the screening began. Image after image the different star systems were displayed, just as he said. They went slow enough that she could get a really good look. If she didn?t see anything the projections would probably keep playing until the Major thought she had watched enough.

Major Kamme watched, not the projections, but his guest. He mentally counted the number of systems passing by, cataloguing them as either possibilities or not, in his mind. Suddenly he put his hand up, freezing the current system on the wall.

Maybe what he saw in her eyes was just weariness settling in, but Kamme had to check the possibility that it was actually recognition of what she was seeing.

?Have you ever been here??

The young woman wasn?t sure. Major Kamme had an idea so he asked her to come with him. He could see she wasn?t sure so extended his hand. ?I?ll help you.?

The patient finally took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet and assist her in getting next to the display.

?I want you to touch it.? She looked confused so he elaborated. ?I?d like you to trace everything in this system, any planet, any moon. Anything that seems right, keep your hand over.?

It didn?t make sense but she was willing to try it. Slowly she moved her hand over. To her surprise her fingers, without even being directed, stopped at the fourth moon where they lingered.

Everyone in the room began to talk at once, scaring her. This was something significant, she was sure. However, she had no idea what that significance was.

?What was it?? She asked.

Major Kamme asked her to take a seat on the chair, for just a minut

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was SO beautiful! Wow! I loved it! =D=

3. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    That was a beautiful story, Lola64!!! I loved it!

4. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Vaderlvr64: That was SO beautiful! Wow! I loved it!

Thank you very much.

RP: That was a beautiful story, Lola64!!! I loved it!

Thanks too.

It was so nice of both of you to R&R. I appreciate it.

5. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I feel mushy inside.
    That was a beautiful story. I'm so glad you entered it.

Incredible work!

6. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    oqidaun: I feel mushy inside. That was a beautiful story. I'm so glad you entered it.

I felt mushy too. I fell in love with them as a couple at the end. Hopefully the next challenge will give me a chance to push them together.

Incredible work!

Thank you. That was too kind.

7. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Great work! I couldn't wait to find out who she was!
    I'd love to see more of these two. They fit well together.

8. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    wOW, that was WONDERFUL! =D=

9. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    I likey.

I enjoyed this story, the reactions felt very real - how she started getting sick as she saw what the Vong had done to her former home. And Major Kamme is a wise one. Exactly what she needed.

=D= =D= =D=

10. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Jennifer_Lyn: Great work! I couldn't wait to find out who she was!
    I'd love to see more of these two. They fit well together.

Thank you.

You'll be seeing Major Kamme and Halle again. I love them as a couple. And I already have plans no matter what the next OC challenge is.

Meredith: wOW, that was WONDERFUL!

Thank you.

LadyLaurel: I likey. I enjoyed this story, the reactions felt very real - how she started getting sick as she saw what the Vong had done to her former home. And Major Kamme is a wise one. Exactly what she needed.

Thanks. The challenge screamed Vong and what better world that was destroyed than Yavin IV. And Major Kamme? I think I'm in love with him. He won't be drop dead gorgeous but just his way makes me want to wish he was real.

11. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    =D= Very nice. I really felt for Halle's turmoil. The Major is great, so determined to help her.

And I loved the comment that home was where the heart was. So sweet and mushy. :) Would be nice to see the Major and Halle again. Great job answering the challenge!

12. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    PadawanKayla Very nice. I really felt for Halle's turmoil. The Major is great, so determined to help her.

Thank you.

And I loved the comment that home was where the heart was. So sweet and mushy. Would be nice to see the Major and Halle again. Great job answering the challenge!

Thank you. You'll definitely see the Major and Halle again. I'm looking forward to expanding on their new found friendship.

13. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    That was very touching Lola64.
    I'm one of the fans in the minority who actually likes the NJO, and thought your portrayal of Vong post-trauma was dead-on. Loved the fact that she was a jedi too. Question though, is Halle a full-fledged Jedi knight, a padawan, or an adolescent student? Of course, if your going to flush out those details later, then please, ignore me.

=D=

14. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Thanks correllian_ale for reading.

I'm one of the fans in the minority who actually likes the NJO, and thought your portrayal of Vong post-trauma was dead-on. Loved the fact that she was a jedi too.

Thanks. I loved the NJO.

There were so many worlds that were destroyed that my characters can't really not call home anymore.

Being you were so kind to respond I will answer your question.

Halle was an adolescent student, about the ages of the Solo twins, maybe a year older. I can tell you that she was captured early in the war, making her time with the Vong important to what will be happening to her in the near future.

She's looking forward to Challenge 10, as am I.

Thanks again. :D

15. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    =D= LOLA! =D=

I never thought that OCs could be that kewl! ;)

Great job w/ this! Keep it up! ;)

~CS

16. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Yep...I'm hooked.

Funny thing for me is that I thought the NJO started off brilliantly with Vector Prime and the first few books, but then it just seemed to drag on and on...but I really like this vignette. Your writing style is impressive. Now I am off to read the rest.

17. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    courtney: I never thought that OCs could be that kewl!

Yes, very kewl. Thanks.

Thank you very much. I've never 'hooked' someone before.:) Not that I know of anyway.

18. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Lola!

What an incredible story you have going on here. You are inspiring me, you know, to start doing challenges again. To make the time.

Oh. And you "hooked" me a long time ago..;)

19. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey Z

What an incredible story you have going on here.

Thanks.

You are inspiring me, you know, to start doing challenges again. To make the time.

I hope you do. Twich's Twisted Sisters has missed you. Those J/K sentences kind of never finished. Still interested to know what happened. (not that anything will of course until you write it, but you get what I'm saying)

Oh. And you "hooked" me a long time ago..

It's that whole birds of a feather thing. :)

20. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    The vegetation had been altered to fit their needs of growing their coral skippers, the rocklike fighters they attacked the galaxy with. Whatever was indigenous to this world had been destroyed, and the Vong forms grew atop.

:(

He explained, ?Home is where the heart is. It?s not a planet, a city, or even a house. It?s what you take with you everywhere, here.? He pointed to his chest.

That was beautiful, Lola :)

Very well done and enjoyable :D Loved the way you tied in the Yuuzhan Vong coral implants to her memory lost and was impressed with the character development of two OC's in such a short piece. You definitely got the feeling that Kamme was a kind doctor who genuinely wanted to help Halle, and how lost she felt really came through as well.

Was impressed with the way you tied this into the challenge, I never would have thought of anything this good.

Great work, Lola :)

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was quite delightful Lola.

22. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Brilliant Padawan! =D=

It made me feel all mushy inside. [face_love]

23. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    YodaKenobi: I can't tell you how surprised I was to see you here.

Very well done and enjoyable Loved the way you tied in the Yuuzhan Vong coral implants to her memory lost and was impressed with the character development of two OC's in such a short piece. You definitely got the feeling that Kamme was a kind doctor who genuinely wanted to help Halle, and how lost she felt really came through as well.

Thank you.

Was impressed with the way you tied this into the challenge, I never would have thought of anything this good.

Yeah right. You'd have thought of something much better, I'm sure.

Great work, Lola

I still can't get over that you reviewed one of my things. Thanks. It means a lot. :)

Leona:That was quite delightful Lola.

Thank you very much.

mouse2: Brilliant Padawan!

Oooh. Thanks.

It made me feel all mushy inside.

That's one thing about Lola. She's all about the mush. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.