main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Home school v. Private school v. Public school

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by solojones, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have friends who are involved in all kinds of schooling... I think each has it's ups and downs... what are your opinions on each?

Does it seem like home schooled kids are stuck up? Don't fit it?

Does it seem like private schools are too strict?

Does it seem like public schools don't offer good education? Are too harsh of an enviroment?

Discuss.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    This is a topic that I almost posted a short while ago.

As a professor, I have found that students who are homeschooled have the tendency to be more disruptive in the classroom and have poor social skills.

As for public school, the quality of education that a student obtains seems to be sub par to that of a private schooled child.

As a father of three, my wife and I are already considering what to do concerning our children's education. Homeschooling is most definitely not an option.

There is private school in my town that begins teaching French in first grade and by second, half of the day students are lectured in it. They also study Latin and ancient history in the lower grades.

Public schools have become too bloated, their teachers too underpaid all the while administrators bring home salaries in the upper $80s. (My mother has been teaching at the same school district for 23 years, and makes a little under $40,000 a year).

3. Lieutenant Tschel

Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 1999
    Well in my experience home schooling produces a lot of students that are overly clingy to their parents and less inclined to be driven to succeed as they depend on their parents for everyhting and aren't required to see other kids or ever leave the home.

Now I am perfectly willing to acknowledge that the blame for this should not lie with home schooling but rather that the kind of people who choose to home school their children are the kind who think the world is evil and that everyone else is an idiotic moron. So of course these people would be over protective and shielding of their children. In addition, let me say that not ALL parents who choose to home school would be like that, but people who are like that would be more likely to want to home school than "normal" parents. Understand what I'm trying to say?

As for Public vs. Private I'm biased as I went to Private School (Catholic) for K-12. The public schools around here really stink anyway, their test scores are far lower than the local private schools or for other area's public schools for that matter. Generally speaking (and yes there are exceptions, one of them from a local public high school will be going to Harvard this Fall) the private schools produce a much higher quality of student than the publics. Now this can only apply to my immediate vicinity as I understand the quality of public education varies greatly from place to place.

4. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Although I always have and will continue to be public schooled, I honestly think that a combination of all three is the best way to go.

The best possible combination?
    Grades K-5: Public
    Grades 6-8: Home
    Grades 9-12: Private

In public school, children will learn basic skills and how to deal with social situations. If they homeschool after that, then they can avoid the tortue that is middle school ( :p) and also gain an advantage when going into high school. Entering a private high school will give them a more focused schedule and better preparation for college.

Of course, this would be difficult to pull off :p and it really depends on the individual schools.

5. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Those are pretty broad generalization that don't really fit. Every situtation is unique. Although I'm sure there will be some that fit that description, a lot will not.

Does it seem like home schooled kids are stuck up? Don't fit it?

The majority of homeschooled students don't seem stuck-up to me. In fact, I know none that are. Most of the homeschoolers also seem to fit in fine. They're well liked and outgoing enough albeit I will admit they are slightly "different" somewhow.
    I've been homeschooled myself and have come across a number of homeschooled student in non-homeschool situations.

Does it seem like private schools are too strict?

I attended private school before being homeschooled and it didn't seem to strict to me. Friends of mine who were in provate school didn't seem to think it stict either, although some of them did have to wear uniforms.

Does it seem like public schools don't offer good education? Are too harsh of an enviroment?

Some public schools in some areas do provide a worse education than other alternatives in the area. I would not say that the environment is too harsh, but I would say that it seems harder and less disciplined. I live in an area where the public school are not good (hence my parents decision to homeschool). The friends that I do have that went to public school, always seemed harsher and more rebellious. But maybe that's because they came from harsher homes and their parents could not afford to send them to private schools.

I like the example Terr_Mys gave on when to send kids where. Where you send your kids depends on a lot of factors; the local school environment, what you're able to afford, what your child is like, what you are like, etc. More than anything, I think the active involvement of the parents is one of the deciding factors as to how well the student does.

6. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I went to public school through 8th grade. I was really miserable though. The kids and teachers at my school were just plain nasty. When we moved, I begged my parents to homeschool me for high school, and they agreed.

Anyway, I think the quality of a public education varies from district to district. I think whether homeschooling is good or not depends on the situation. I don't think it's good if parents are trying to shield their kids from the world. But sometimes, the kid needs it. It's been great for me. It allowed me a chance to recover from the stress I felt in middle school, which was basically hell. I'm prepared to go to college in a year, and I think I'll do fine.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have many friends who are homeschooled, and honestly, only one of the families kids actually have realistic views of the world. They socialize, watch movies with me, etc. and there's never any problem. My very best friend who I've known all my life is homeschooled, and honestly she is stuck up. There's not too many things I am confident about myself, but I know that I'm a statistical genius. It's not something I can help, but it's what I am. She somehow thinks that she's smarter than me just because she gets one on one time so she's further ahead in school. Ridiculous. Then there are my homeschooled friends who are totally sheltered, are shocked by everything... that's sad.

Public school teachers are so underpaid. I know because my mom is one. I have always gone to public school, and it's something I hate. Those teachers deserve more. Fortunately for me, I attend probably the best school district in my state. If you want a good education, you can get it. You can take lots of college level courses that are taught very well at my school. But I know that's not always the case.

Private schooling can give you a good education. That's true. But there are lots of people who stick their problem kids in them (especially religious schools) because they think they're going to be fixed. Very sad. I just would never want to go to one because all the strict codes of dress, etc. would really hinder my learning. And actually, many private schools around here don't have near as many choices for courses as the public schools do.

Edit: Flaming Sword, those questions weren't really representing my opinions, just ones I have heard. Sorry I didn't make that clear :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    You'll do fine, Rebecca191.

I was homeschooled from 5th-12th grade and am a college Junior. I will admit there was some adjustment at first but I'm doing very well now. A few of my friends that were homeschooled and are in college are doing well as well.

My brother (who was homeschooled as well) is starting college in the fall. I hope he does well as well as you :)

Edit: solojones, I should probably have realized that since I've heard them plenty. Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I took Driver's Ed this year and I did fine in a classroom setting. My problem when I was younger was that I was very sensitive to everything, and I felt really miserable at school. The stupid school district thought I needed special ed. I just needed teachers who weren't even bullies, and who did nothing about the fact I was picked on. I'm more mature and confident now, so I'd probably be fine if I went back to school, but honestly, I don't want to until college.

10. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I was homeschooled from 3rd grade until 9th, when I went back to school to be in a public high school. I was well above my peers in all subjects, and I grew extremely frustrated with their inability to pay attention and learn things. They were always disrupting class and were always doing stupid things (throwing stuff at teachers, making fartin noises (in high school!!) etc.) I think that after my first few months I adjusted pretty well socially. I met my wife in high school, so I was doing something right, I guess. I'm in the Air Force now because the career field I'm in requires experience to get a good job, (I work with computers and computer networks) and I am getting college education for free.

I think that I did pretty well. My sister did even better; she was homeschooled all her life, and she was a head cheerleader for a private school, in lots of plays, active in her church, and now has a full scholarship to Harding University.

I think that if you're going to homeschool you need to have an active social life, and it helps to have an external support structure, but those are pretty easy to find nowadays. And move to Texas, their homeschooling laws and support groups are the best in the country.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know a kid who is 16 and was homeschooled, and finished high school, but now he's too young to really go to college so he's stuck for at least a year :(

I also hear my friends who are homeschooled (most of them) talk about how "bad" public school is, in terms of swearing and "weird" people. Give me a break! I am way more tolerant of people that look different but are actually nice than they are. Sure, I don't always agree with those people who are "weird" but I can at least not freak out and stare when they are around.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Public school has always been the bane of my existence. There was this cool little gifted private school near my house that I wanted to go to, but my parents couldn't afford it. My friend Julia went and over the years I wished more and more that I could have gone there. She was studying To Kill A Mockingbird when my public school class was watching Disney movies because the teacher was too tired to teach class that day. I went through hell in middle school getting teased and persuaded to go to parties and sleep around while Julia skipped two grades and got accepted to Tufts University.

I think that gifted children, at the very least, should go to private school or be home-schooled. With kids like me that learned better going at their own pace, a classroom setting is not always the best idea. And the interaction with other students is overrated IMO. Kids that wouldn't do well in public school don't get much positive interaction in school anyway.

13. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I had positive interaction in school when I was younger. Let's face it, 6 year olds are waaaay more tolerant than preteens. I had some friends in school when I was young. Once I got to middle school, I didn't have any. So I wouldn't have gotten any more positive interaction out of that group of people.

I've always gotten along better with adults and younger kids than people my own age. I just get frustrated with the way teenagers can be... sigh. At least they get better as they get older.

14. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    I agree, sj. I'm public schooled, and I admit that I am above my peers in most subjects...and I also admit that there are many 'weird' people in public schools. But there certainly are plenty of 'weird' homeschooled kids too. And I myself am very intolerant of profanity and reckless behavior, but it's something I have to deal with. Homeschooled children without the proper social activity can sometimes learn to be very intolerant, but that's somewhat of a generalization. Regardless of what kind of schooling a child receives, it's important that they are open to social situations and aren't influenced solely by their parents, who can often put biased thoughts in their heads.

Oh, what do I know! I've never been homeschooled before! :p

So...jealous... :p

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm a gifted student, and my parents considered sending me to a gifted school when I was young, but decided not to. And I'm so glad they did. As much as I hate people who don't want to learn, being in public school has given me the opportunity to meet others who aren't like me and also to learn to get along with people who are somewaht slow. You're going to have to deal with them in the real world, so I think you shouldn't shield yourself like that. Besides, for core classes that matter there are honors classes, where you CAN actually learn with others who want to learn as much as you do.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    When I was homeschooled, I was finished by lunch and my other homeschooled friends and I would get together and play football or just hang out.

When I was in public school, I had this little devil-worshipper attack me with a knife.

And I was in what was considered one of the nicer of the Arizona high schools.

Most of my high school years were okay, but if I'd stayed in home school there is nothing save my wife (which is a huge deal, don't get me wrong) that I would have missed out on. I would still be in the Air Force, I would still be working with computers, I simply would have had a less stressful and more productive school life. I still would have gone to dances and still gotten my license and still had a good time.

17. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Well, last year, I was given the option to choose between a private school and a public school. And what did I choose? A public school.

When asked why, my excuse was basically because I wanted to be with my friends...but in all honesty, I haven't had a close friend since I moved from my hometown, where I attended elementary school. Granted, I do have many 'friends' now...but none of them really know the true me, and they make fun of me all the time. I just put up with it, because otherwise I'd be an outcast. But still, I don't want to be in an environment of just rich kids. In public school, there are two groups of kids that I hang around with. The first group is the good kids. Who, in reality, are just bad kids who don't get caught. And they are rather mean to me as well...but then there's the second group. I don't hang around with them as much. They're much more intelligent, yet their behavior is not very good. But they are nicer to me...

I don't know. I'm really confused right now. :(

Basically my choices are:
    1) Kids who pose as good kids and are average students, yet still make fun of me
    2) Kids who are, in reality, very intelligent but choose not to use thier intelligence and goof around instead
    3) A bunch of rich snobs

Not very fair, is it? :( My only close friend(s) live far away...

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The problem is that lots of homeschooled kids I know DO participate in activities, but either with other homeschooled kids or other Christians (which me and most my friends are). It's all well and good to do that, but then they are blind to the world and shocked far too easily.

-sj loves kevin spacey

19. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Dealing with people that were somewhat slow is one thing. Dealing with moronic people who spread rumors that you're pregnant every time you gain a couple pounds is very different. Public school kids can be very very cruel And since there's so many of them together who really don't give a crap about learning, it makes it much easier for them to affect you.

Honestly, look at how many school shootings have happened in public school compared to how many have happened in private school.

20. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Well, I can't really make a judgement about that gwaernardel...it seems like girls have it harder in public school than boys do.

21. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    It's all well and good to do that, but then they are blind to the world and shocked far too easily.

Yes, I'd hate for people to come out of school not already jaded. [face_plain]

Seriously, I have never met a homeschooler who was truly not already aware of the world. It seems odd to me that there would be people like that, and I have to wonder what kind of environment they lived in. We were always encouraged to pay attention to what was happening in the world, so that we would be well-equipped to deal with it later on. I have been politically active since I was eight. I have had my moral and political ideals fixed since I was ten. I and every single other homeschooler I met understood what was out there, we simply weren't immersed in it eight hours out of every day.

22. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    You had your moral and political ideals fixed since you were ten? I don't mean to sound harsh, but don't you think one should have some major social experience before setting their beliefs in stone?

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm not jaded, I can just ignore it though. It's not that I like being picked on or cussed at or being hit on, but I am able to deal with it. Honestly, I understand that kids are cruel, but they are EVERYWHERE. One of the meanest people I know is homeschooled, mostly because she's so blunt because she doesn't know how to deal with people.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    You had your moral and political ideals fixed since you were ten? I don't mean to sound harsh, but don't you think one should have some major social experience before setting their beliefs in stone?

Well what makes you think that I hadn't, aside from the fact that I was homeschooled? Even now, after everything that I have been through, I find that my original ideas both morally and politically are sound. I had been in situations where my ideals were tested all the time in homeschool (debates, essay competitions, etc.), so I don't know what else you would be looking for.

I'm not jaded, I can just ignore it though. It's not that I like being picked on or cussed at or being hit on, but I am able to deal with it.

Well, so are most of the homeschoolers that I know.

Honestly, I understand that kids are cruel, but they are EVERYWHERE. One of the meanest people I know is homeschooled, mostly because she's so blunt because she doesn't know how to deal with people.

How do you know that she is not simply a blunt person? The bluntest, rudest, least socially adjusted people I have met in life I met in high school.

25. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes, cruel people exist everywhere, but in the adult world you have a choice, at least to some degree, about which people you choose to deal with. In school you really don't. You can't just decide, "Well, since I really hate this place and these people, I'll quit," like you can with a job. You have to deal with it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.