main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Home school v. Private school v. Public school

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by solojones, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    Well said, Lieutenant Tschel. It sounds like our experiences were pretty similar.

2. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    From what I've heard, Catholics schools are veyr good schools. They have a good curriculum, they are less expensive than other private schools, don't overdo it on the religion.

That's what I heard from my non-Catholic friends who went to Catholic schools. And I'm seeing it confirmed here :)

3. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I could choose to go to a Catholic school near me (and I am Catholic), but...they don't have janitors, and the students are required to pick up after themselves. Can you believe that?!? :p :D

4. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Sounds quite feasible to me. I go to a - supposedly - elite private school based around the Anglican ethos (although you wouldn't guess it on the surface). A lack of appreciation for people such as janitors breeds an arrogance of "Someone is paid to pick that up for me". Sounds character building more than anything else.

5. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Stryker, I'm not sure who that was directed at but I don't see how it's relevant to the conversation, or even where it came from.

I'm not sure what post you're referring to, but all of them have been talking about homeschooling, so I don't know why it wouldn't be relevant or why it would be 'out of left field', as it were.

Anyway... I am not basing my opinions on what anyone else has said. I personally know over a dozen kids who are homeschooled, and almost all are socially inept. Granted, not all of them, but the majority. They don't know how to be polite and accepting of other people most the time.

Perhaps your standards for social adeptness are a little too high? For example:

A girl showed me and my homeschooled friend a picture of a guy she thought was cute, and even though I didn't really think so I just smiled and nodded. My friend who's always been homeschooled just goes, "No, he's fat. He's ugly." I love her as a friend and all, but she's certainly got some problems that stem from not having to constantly be with and learn with kids of all backgrounds and abilities, etc.

I have known many people who were like this, and none of them were homeschooled. They just say it like it is. That's not social ineptness, as far as I am concerned, it's simply being yourself. Maybe the problem is that you are too sensitive? I'm not trying to attack you, I'm simply trying to get you to think out of the box. You've already decided that these people are the way they are because they were homeschooled, when there are probably a lot of other explanations that would make as much if not more sense.

Like I have said, it's obvious that people here have judged homeschool without truly understanding it. It's not a perfect system; there isn't one out there. But it's not as bad as many of you are implying, and if done properly it can help the kids who go through excell in ways that public school couldn't dream of.

6. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Stryker

This is how your second-to-last post read.

This is probably because democrats have no problem with taking more money from those who work hard.

<sigh> Well, public school sure has made you all more open minded.

Only people who a) don't understand homeschooling or b) are basing their opinions off of one two people can say things like this.
    -----signature-----

No One Comes Close
    Valyns Dozen 7
    "We wage a war to save civilization itself. We did not seek it, but we must fight it - and we will prevail."
    _____
    http://www.madmanlymichaelson.com/sw/jedistryker

I added your signature so that you would see that it was indeed your post. This is what SJ is referring too. For everyone else, the first part (about democrats) is from a post Stryker made in the Death Peanlty thread regarding one of my statements. How it got here, I do not know.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't been judging homeschoolers without understanding. I even went to my friend's house one day to see what her homeschooling was like. We just sat there and read and did work. Sure, you can accell in school that way which is good. But I simply think there are other places where you can have just as good of an education (certainly Catholic schools, and many public and other private schools) without the negative side effects. Maybe not all of the problems I have viewed in homeschoolers are due to their schooling, but certainly at least some of them are.

One big problem I see in homeschoolers is that they aren't able to take notes very well. They've never just had a professor start talking on a subject and have to write down the pertinent information quickly. This is something you really need in college.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I added your signature so that you would see that it was indeed your post. This is what SJ is referring too. For everyone else, the first part (about democrats) is from a post Stryker made in the Death Peanlty thread regarding one of my statements. How it got here, I do not know.

Thanks for pointing that out, Mav. I don't know how the heck that happened, I was replying to another post in here. I guess ignore that post since I can't edit it now. :p

One big problem I see in homeschoolers is that they aren't able to take notes very well.

Let me be clear here: do you mean all homeschoolers? Or just the ones you've known?

Also, I would like to know how many homeschoolers you have known?

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, of the over a dozen homeschoolers I have known, and countless others I have met... all the ones I've seen taking notes just doodle and write like, one or two things down. They've even admitted that they're not good at taking notes.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    For the record, I haven't really had to take all that many notes in college so far. In classes where notes were important, the professors either made copies of their lecture available on the internet or I went to study groups where everyone put their notes together and studied them. Also, there were a lot of classes and workshops at my school about better note-taking. Besides, note-taking in college varies a lot from high school note-taking, I've noticed. I don't think homescoolers are at all that much of a disadvantage in that area.

11. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Most colleges recommend that students bring laptops to take notes.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    gwaer- your college must be unusal, becasue every college prof. I've ever talked to, and every HS prof. also, has said you HAVE to know how to take notes because it's basically all you do in college.

Our Middle School teachers didn't even make copies of notes. We were required to write them down, some from pages, but some from verbal lectures.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    *is homeschooled*

*detests taking notes, but doesn't really need to because his books already have everything written down*

*is not a prick or grossly socially inept*

*is hungry*

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    StarFire- so how will you feel about taking notes when you go to college, where you have to take notes? And I'm glad that you're not socially inept, I'm just saying that I would say more homeschoolers are than kids who go to other types of schools.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    My students complain that I talk to quickly and can't take notes fast enough. I have yet to see a student who can type notes as fast as someone who writes them down. I always missed important material when I tried that.

I remember taking 15 pages of notes per class in my Modern England class my senior year in college. One of the underclassmen in the class raised his hand once and asked the professor if he could slow down. To which the professor said "No."

16. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I type a lot faster than I write.

17. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I doubt I'll have a real problem taking notes when I go to college. I hate taking notes now because it's completely redundant work--the only purpose it would serve is to help me remember, which it doesn't do well enough to warrant the work. I'm sure there will be an adjustment, but I don't think it will be a problem.

I'm sorry some of you guys have had bad experiences with homeschoolers.

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    your college must be unusal, becasue every college prof. I've ever talked to, and every HS prof. also, has said you HAVE to know how to take notes because it's basically all you do in college.

It depends on your major.

For example, I am studying Computer Engineering. I rarely take notes in class, why? Because for math and science, doing the homework covers the material fairly thoroughly. Writing programs covers the necessary topics far more efficiently than reading over notes can.

For social sciences and other libral arts, though, notes are a much more important part of your studies. It all depends.

Kimball Kinnison

19. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    I went to public school and had a serious problem taking notes. It really didnt affect me in college because some students dont learn as well from lectures as they do from reading th ematerial on theie own. This was always the case with me.

20. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I was homeschooled and am great at taking notes in college. This is not jsut my opinion, but also the opinion of other students (who ask to copy my notes), and teachers.

So either I'm the exception, or you can't judge one method of schooling by one student.

But I simply think there are other places where you can have just as good of an education (certainly Catholic schools, and many public and other private schools) without the negative side effects.

I completely agree, solojones. There are many places to get a great education. Homeschooling can be one of them.

21. The_Dork_Side

The_Dork_Side Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    I went to a private school for pre-k thru 6th grade. The lower level education was good, but I also had amazing teachers. When I got to 6th my parents and I had already decided that would be my last year there and I then attended the local public middle school for the rest of middle.

I'm "gifted" and was lucky enough to have gifted classes and I excelled in all subjects except math because my private school is notoriously bad for math.

Most of the the kids I left in 6th grade came to my high school this part year and I had noticed that many were very immature (especially the boys) and the girls were very popish and meaner than the rest, they seemed to feel eletist.

If I could re-do my education I'd do private elementaty but I would have headed straight to public middle. I don't know much about mainstream public but if you're gifted in public I think you should turn out ok. In HS I'm IB (yeah, more or less gifted but with perks, like no gym) and doing very well.

As for homeschoolers, I know a few. Some do have social interaction issues, but about the same as my friends who remained private. One kid told me her mom began to homeschool her becuase she was literally afraid some of her classmates would bring a gun to school and blow her away. But now she's going to the public high school. Her mom just got tired of teaching her I think. They also drive eachother NUTS.

I once did a head count in chapel at private school and out of maybe 250 students 6 or 7 were black and 2 were of Latin decent. This included the preschool. That was the make up of that school and some kids are not not used to the social differences in public like I am. My middle school was in the middle of the black community so that was the majority of my school, it was not a problem for me. But I do know if some priv. kids went there they would have a culture shock because of all the differences.

(As for notes, I had 2 basically lecture classes this past year and doodled 1/2 the time and still got A's in the class but I still took all the notes. I'm just a multi tasker. Also I can type as fast as someone can write so I'm looking foward to the prospect of lap tops in college.)

22. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I went to a private school from Kindergarten through high school. I loved it. I had a nice time in elementary school (I mean, how great a time can you have?).

Junior high was infinitely better than it could have been. I had good friends, I was on the cheerleading squad (not a popularity contest) and I had a lunch group who I ate with. I never got picked on, nor did anyone else, I was never excluded.

High school rocked. There was no "popular" and "unpopular" group. Even the "stupid people" in our grade were very smart and fun to talk to. I was in 4 AP classes, theater, and cheerleading. I had a wide range of friends -- some artsy, sporty, brilliant, druggies, drinkers, partiers, bookworms.

It was not ruled by the "snobby rich kids." There were no contests about clothes because we all wore uniforms -- crappy as they were. But they made us creative. We had to express ourselves through our socks, belts, shoes, earrings, etc.

There were only 8-20 people in each class (not grade -- that was about 85, class) and so the teachers were all very helpful and got to know you personally. Some of them became my very very good friends. I knew everyone in my grade, most people in the grades directly below and above me, and some in the other classes.

The worst part about our school was their recruiting of people not really qualified to come to our school for sports -- and then basically giving them a free ride, not making them work. But the teachers hated this and started failing (justifiably -- these people never did their work!) them.

I got a wonderful education. 3 people in my grade are going to Harvard, 1 to Yale, 1 to Columbia, 2 to Welselley, 1 to NYU, 2 to Wake Forest (me!!), 3 to Washington University, 1 to Smith, 3 to Duke, 2 to Vanderbilt, and we had 100% college bound. (well, actually -- all but one. J Mack decided to go to Hollywood to become a famous singer. ::snort::)

I can't say much about public schools or homeschooling, but my private school experience was very very positive.

BTW, DarthLothi -- my school was named "Country Day." :p

23. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    One big problem I see in homeschoolers is that they aren't able to take notes very well. They've never just had a professor start talking on a subject and have to write down the pertinent information quickly. This is something you really need in college.

I haven't had that happen very much and I go to public school.

gwaer- your college must be unusal, becasue every college prof. I've ever talked to, and every HS prof. also, has said you HAVE to know how to take notes because it's basically all you do in college.

My brother said basically the same thing...he rarely takes notes in college. And Kimball is right, my brother is a Comp Sci majors so it makes since that he had a similar experience to Kimball.

I have yet to see a student who can type notes as fast as someone who writes them down. I always missed important material when I tried that.

Yeah but it might be individual...I mean I know for a fact that I type a lot faster than I handwrite. However I have a friend who can handwrite faster than I can type.

As to home schoolers being socially inept...I know some public schoolers who are to. I am of course not one of them...now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go play my MUDs and hide myself away from society ;)

24. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I was never good at taking notes because I'm a really slow writer. I couldn't keep up because I handwrite really slow, while I am able to type quite fast. If I can use a laptop in college, I'll be fine.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I suppose some tracks in college don't require note taking, but the majority would. I, for instance, want to be a doctor and I know I'll have to take tons of notes. Granted, I do write (and type) faster than pretty much anyone I know, but even the slow writers I know have learned how to take notes in school.

My public school view is probably somewhat skewed because my school is really unique. I live in suburbia, yet my school has many black kids and lots of kids of middle eastern decent. The rich kids in town go to the other school, so I don't have to deal with them too much. Even with what would be considered the "lower classes", we have a great IB (advanced) program in our school which many kids are involved in.

A qualm I have with some private schools is that they don't offer enough varied courses. They don't have as many kids, so they don't have as many classes or levels of the same course. I had a friend who was homeschooled 3-7 grade, then in 8th grade she went to a private school and had to take all 9th grade classes. Also, she didn't like being in the class with other kids much, so she went right back to homeschooling after that.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.