main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Home school v. Private school v. Public school

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by solojones, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have one brother, who's three years older than me, and not very social. I think it's just a matter of personality and personal maturity.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The point I was more trying to make is that between a student that talks to adults mostly in a social setting is a lot more likely to be comfortable around adults than a person that has teachers that treat you like a child, make you raise your hand to speak or ask permission to urinate, and give you detention for swearing or chewing gum. I'm not saying all teachers are like this, of course. It's just that kids tend to rebel against those authority figures that do nothing to earn their respect. Homeschooled kids are a lot less likely to have this problem.

3. Lieutenant Tschel

Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 1999
    I actually *preferred* talking to teachers rather than people my own age. In many ways I considered my teachers to be better friends than a lot of my nominal friends.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I do think teachers should enforce the rules while not looking down on kids at the same time. There are rules everywhere, and authority figures, too. Every kid should have some sort of rules and authority figures to follow or else they will be too unruly as adults.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Lieutenant Tschel

Nov 7, 1999
    I've only had a few high school teachers that treated their students like children. Most of the time they simply treated us as subordinates (which we were), but not stupid or foolish.

6. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I had teachers that fell asleep in class and showed the same video over and over because they were too lazy to teach.

And if you don't learn at home about respect and obeying rules, going to a structured school is not going to help any.

7. Lieutenant Tschel

Nov 7, 1999
    " had teachers that fell asleep in class and showed the same video over and over because they were too lazy to teach. "

And they kept their jobs?!?

But yeah, I agree that the Home is where the kid's attitude is primarily formed. No outside influence, save maybe enlisting in the Marines, would change that.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's usually the case, but sometimes not. I have a real problem with having a short temper and yelling a lot (partly due to being hypoglycemic and needing food) at home, but at school I almost completely control it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I'm not the only child, I'm the baby. But right now, I'm the only kid left at home. Both of my older siblings moved out and got their own apartments. They both went to public school from K-12. My sister has an easy time making friends. My brother has a harder time. So yeah, personality types, anyone?

10. GeistDesFritz

GeistDesFritz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I was public schooled k-12, though I was in PIB in middle school and IB for high school. Basically, I have this to say about public school: I don't mind it, but I hate the concept of it. Public school strikes me as very restrictive; you learn what they have enough budget to teach you and what the teachers want you to learn. The student and the parents have very little control over what subjects are taught. I hate that. A drawback I found is that in school, the student's life tends to revolve around the school instead of the student's community, which I think is more important. When I was in school, every activity I did was some how related to school and I knew pretty much everyone from school. Which means when I was away from school for long periods of time, I didn't know too many people.

Private schools: I think these can be a cut above the rest, though the private schools in my area do tend to be for the richer kids and they always seem to have more 'scandalous behavior there...but that is probably just in my area ;) At least with these schools, the parents have to be more concerned: they're paying out of pocket and want their money's worth.

Religious schools: these schools (such as catholic schools) tend to be pretty good because the curriculum is set and the students there tend to at least have one thing in common: their religion or an interest in religion. Also, the parents were obviously more involved in picking this school.

Home School: I think that this is really one of the better options out there, depending on the willingness of the student to learn and the parent to teach. I like the fact that it offers so much flexibilty. There are so many things I would have loved to learn in school (such as grammar and more foreign languages) but was never offered the chance. Also, home schooling means the kids are forced out into the community to be active and meet kids from all over the area, not just their school. Also, the kids tend to grow up with more confidence and knowledge, not having been subjected to taunting and time wasting by teachers and peers.
    Also, I love the idea of learning about a country and just being able to pick up and go there and learn about it first hand. Not very likely, but it's a lot more likely in home school than it is in a formal school setting. :)

11. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I go to a Public High School, and I love it. (For a school ;) ). For some reason, I would never really want Home Schooled or go to a Prive School. I wouldn't know half of my friends, or be doing as much socially. :)

Cheers,
    Shinjo

12. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    " had teachers that fell asleep in class and showed the same video over and over because they were too lazy to teach. "

And they kept their jobs?!?

With the teacher shortages we have? A sleeping body is better than no-body and an overcrowded classroom to the administration any day.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Maveric, that's sad but true in some cases. I am very fortunate to go to a school district which is very good, and actually has more people wanting to teach there than we have room for :) If I had lived in a different school district, I would have almost certainly gone to private school, a magnet or something.

My parents couldn't have homeschooled, because they both work (my dad's a salesmen and my mom's a HS teacher).

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I know several extroverted homeschoolers.

15. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I know several extroverted homeschoolers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.