main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Homeward Bound--An Anakin/Obi-Wan post-Outbound Flight vignette--Vignette 19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    There were many things that Obi-Wan preferred to leave unsaid. They were usually things that he, even in his brutal self-criticism, would not like to acknowledge.

This piece of news, however, brought out another one of those phrases: "What do you mean all of them?"

Mace had caught him off-guard at dinnertime, when Anakin was tucking into a plateful of tubers and khafish. At his Master's sudden outburst, he froze in midbite and Obi-Wan could feel the chill of his stare on him.

This was no conversation for the ears of a fourteen-year-old, but it would be even more cruel to withhold such information from his Padawan. So, instead of taking the converation into a more discreet location, he gestured expansively to the interior of the apartment and Mace moved silently in.

"Please be seated," Obi-Wan said, lowering his voice as he closed the door.

"I can't stay long," Mace retorted grimly, "but a full four days ago, we lost track of the homing signals for Outbound Flight. One of our outlying border patrols went to the source of their signal and found nothing but battle debris."

"From our side?" Anakin asked immediately.

"From both sides," Mace corrected.

"Of course," Anakin said. "Lorana wouldn't have gone down without a fight."

It was a strange trait of the Chosen One that he tended to find consolation in his friends who fell in fighting. Perhaps it was a result of his initiation into the Order, when he had faced death head-on.

Perhaps Obi-Wan had replaced the familial attachments with ones of his own that were dangerous. Certainly, it was one of Anakin's habits.

He personally didn't think he'd ever get quite used to death.

"No," Obi-Wan agreed, "none of them would have."

"There is, however, the concern of who directed that battle," Mace reminded.

The Council had heard of their concerns, of the Judgment Circle that should have been convened against Jorus C'Baoth. They knew why the passengers had reason to resent their guardians.

For that, the Council had reason to wonder if it their deaths had not been for the best.

"They would not have betrayed the mission," Anakin said firmly, with all the conviction of someone twice his age.

"I would like to believe that," Mace said, barely sparing him a glance, "but we have no proof that anyone but C'baoth was commanding."

"No," Obi-Wan conceded, "but we know one thing about Knight Jinzler."

Anakin looked as if he wasn't sure which one to pick, so Obi-Wan sent him a reassuring smile. "Her heart was set at opposition to her Master," he explained. "For once, that was a supremely redeeming feature."

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Heh. Glad OF gave you some good ideas, Ish. Poor Anakin and Obi-Wan. I heard C'baoth was a nutter before clone madness, too.

3. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    It's a strange thing to say about the creator of a character but I actually thought Zahn dropped the ball on C'boath on Outbound Flight by making him such a nutter.

That aside... :D I think this story was pretty cool. I like the way Anakin's attention went straight to his friend. :D

On the other hand - I thought the fate of the Outbound Flight was unknown to the Republic? ;)

4. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Nice vig :)
    I like your characterization of Anakin.

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Yup, as usual I don't know the context but the relationship between Obi-wan and Anakin was very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.