main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Homeworld- A Post-Ep III Padme Vignette- Thoughts of giving up Luke

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sache8, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Short but sweet. As Beru is a character very close to my heart, it led me in a roundabout way to this vig bunny, which would be Padme's remembrances of Beru when... well, you'll see ;)

For Jadey- just because ;)

*~*~*~*~*~

Homeworld

?Tatooine?? Padmé asked, incredulous. ?You want to take him to?Tatooine?? Her tearstained eyes were wide and incredulous. When Obi-Wan did not immediately reply she paused, considering. ?You?re taking him to the homestead,? she concluded. ?Anakin?s stepbrother, Owen.?

Obi-Wan nodded. ?And his wife, Beru.?

Padmé turned to regard the stars outside the viewport. Her children had been born in space above Alderaan. As of yet no planet in this universe could lay claim to them. But Tatooine?

She looked down at the sleeping child in her arms. Her son, Luke, whose father had somehow been lost, and whose mother still could not understand why. She was distraught, fatigued, and weary. Weary of running, weary of hiding.

Tatooine was Anakin?s home. Was that barren desert land to be Luke?s as well? A solitary tear welled in her eye and fell silently into the baby?s hair. She?d been there twice, and neither experience had endeared it to her.

Padmé knew, however, that her dismay would be equal no matter what planet Obi-Wan had chosen. More than anything her thoughts were consumed with having to let him go. She would not get to hear him speak, or see his eyes light up with new discoveries. She would not be there for his first step. She would not be there to hold him when he cried.

Her thoughts now turned to Beru. Beru, a young woman she?d met once. Padmé strained her memory, trying to remember everything she could from their brief encounter. She remembered?a young woman who had never been off her homeworld, who was soft-spoken and gentle, serving and kind, and who was content to lead a simple life. Padmé felt a twinge of longing. Part of her had always craved that kind of simplicity, the closeness of home and family.

The mists of the future swirled in her mind?s eye, and it seemed that she saw two paths set before her. In one, Luke was raised by his mother and father, with his sister as his playmate. They were a happy family. There were always traveling the stars, seeing things, having lighthearted adventures.

Padmé turned her face away bitterly. This future could never be. Even were Anakin still with them, the tumult of the galaxy would never permit it.

In the other future she saw Luke on the moisture farms of Tatooine. Hard work and need were his teachers. The dry desert sands scoured him, and made him tough and strong. The values of a simple life and simple people were his daily guide. She could understand that.

Though her own pain was not lessened, at least she could take comfort in having seen the place Luke would grow up, and having met the people who would raise him. And he would be able to identify with his father; that was important.

But me? What will he remember of me? Padmé Naberrie did not think she wanted to know the answer to that question. And though she cried no more, every fiber of her being was nonetheless in deepest mourning.

*~*~*~*~

Thoughts?

~Saché

2. JadeSaber

JadeSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2002
    Awwwwww... *sniffle* How heartbreakingly sweet Sache!!

What a beautiful piece!!

3. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    That was very touching, and so sad too... :_| Imagine having to leave your own son. Such a true description of Beru as well, I really loved it!

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Beautiful and sad.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    That was lovely Sache8- wonderfully contemplative, sad, but stoic- much like the Padme of old.

Good job.

6. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    *sniff* Poor Paddie... :( At least she can be sure of leaving Luke in good hands with Beru.

Those of you who don't know what I mean will be quick to find out [plug]if you read Saché's "Heart of a Mother."[/plug] ;)

Lovely piece of work as always, Sach.

7. ChinchillaFairy

ChinchillaFairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    Lovley but sad. Padme just has nothing going for her.

8. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Jadey Yes, yes. Bring on the angst ;)

Bellyup It does seem like the most terrible thing in the world. You might enjoy the Beru story, if you're up to it. By the way, thanks for the nice feedback on Dance With the Stars. Maybe sometime DRL will give me a chance to reply properly to it all. Don't worry, I shall :)

RebelMom: Thanks so much. :) I do try ;) :p

PadmeLeiaJaina: Thanks. What exactly constitues the "Padme of old" anyhow? I don't pretend to be a Padme expert. lol Although I do try to be a proponent of all things Naboo, so maybe I should brush up ;)

Sebby: Hehe... thanks for the plug, buddy. And the compliments, as always :)

Chinchilla: You're right. "He said her life was a sad story" [/Frodo]... whoops, wrong Universe ;) :p

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Sache-

I think of Padme in 2 ways- old, stoic Padme- pre-falling in love w/ Anakin, and fiesty, happy Padme when she finally decided to declare her love to him.

I believe she'll be more lively and like Leia until Anakin's "dead" then she'll return to her old stoic self again.

10. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Bittersweet but lovely.

Superb job!

Maeve

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Beautiful, of course, Sache. I think you did a marvelous job of capturing Padme's feelings about the whole prospect. I'd agree that she'd take some small measure of comfort from having seen Tatooine and met Owen and Beru, but it still had to be terribly difficult. The part where she wonders about what Luke would or would not remember of her is just heartrending. Very eloquently done. :)

12. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    It's so sad isn't it? At least she does know they future guardians of Luke and she knows they are good, kind people.

13. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    ~ Saché

This was an exceptional vignette?.

~Lelila~

14. Jedi_Walker

Jedi_Walker Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2003
    nice story hope you can keep it up job well done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.