main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes I know this is a kids show, then again dreamworks has a gay character in the "how to train your dragon" films (though it is very subtle).

Although it hasn't appeared in the Films (and no R2D2 and C3PO do not count), homosexuality has made small appearances in the old EU.

So should there be any trace of it in Rebels?

I'm not asking on whether or not there should be gay romance in the show, because I think we already know the answer to that (for certain reasons, especially when it comes to their audience, I don't think Disney would show that, at least not now),

however......

I think there is a possibility (though still small), that there could be an implication that one of the characters is attracted to the same (or both) sex as him/her self.

What do you think when it comes to this matter?

2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Well...in Good Luck Charlie this girl had two moms They even stated it, really by having the parents get confused about the name of the mom. And then they were like "Oh two moms! Okay, come right in. Do you want something to drink" So, yeah Disney pulled that off recently. It was well played. But it would be nice to see more diversity in their shows.

3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I don't really mind, either way. It's understandable if they don't - it is a controversial topic - and it's cool if they do. The only thing that would bother me would be if they "played it up" for publicity.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, why not?

Just write it better than the heterosexual attractions we've gotten in Star Wars.

And no over-the-top writing. IOW don't write the character in such a way that we "have to" believe that the character is Teh Ultimate Awesomeness in Star Wars and anyone who does not like the character is accused of being homophobic.

Example that I've mentioned before: Leia was a well-written female character and was revolutionary for her time, but we did not get a lot of "look at how awesome Leia is!" in the OT. She was just shown to be awesome. More recent female Star Wars characters are written more "in-your-face" and anyone who dislikes them is accused of "disliking strong women."

Just make the character's attraction to the same sex part of who he or she is, not the definition of who he or she is. And don't give us a "Look at this awesome GAY character! Look at all he or she can do despite being GAY!" in every episode.

More along the lines of this:

Ezra: "Hera? Did you know that Sabine has a crush on Arise?"

Hera: "Really? Hopefully they can keep in touch after we leave this planet. Want some jawa juice?"

5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Exactly. It does not have to be over played. Just make it a part of who they are but not the main reason for the way they act etc. Personalities and actions should stand out more then who someone has a crush on.

6. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    No, I really don't think it should be included. Unlike things such as race or gender, sexuality is something that has to be actively given attention to show that it is there, which would take away from the story, IMO. I tend to hate romances in stories anyways, why add something that is only accomplished in a romance/relationship?

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    In the sense that I would prefer no romance at all, I agree with that.

8. Nilbon

Nilbon Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2014
    Their best bet would be to either do nothing or be extremely subtle, it might not be a kid's kid show but kids are still going to be a major part of their audience so they would probably struggle with maintaining the sensitivity required to explain it to kids without the whole "samurai wizards in space" thing getting in the way and confusing them, goodness knows there are enough adults that are confused by it.

Canyon D and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This reminds me of David S. Goyer's idiotic comments about removing Constantine's bisexuality in the upcoming show because of "issues" with showing Constantine in bed with another man, whatever that means. But sex or outward romance isn't the only way to cover sexual diversity. Nor does it require a character screaming "I LIKE BOTH" or something along those lines. Subtlety is possible. A slight nod here and there can be done tastefully and in a mature manner. I would like for them to add in sexually diverse characters, but in a way that is done to serve the characters and the story.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a prude by any means but I don't think we need screaming-outspoken sexuality in any character, straight or gay.

11. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I think it would be cool, it is just like a hetero romance, only with different characters. If they include it, cool. If not, alright. It would be interesting to see Ezra played out like this, to me anyway. I think it would be more realistic to show an LGBT character every once in a while, so I will say it would be cool to see. Love is love, anyway.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Agreed. All that does is come off as blatant political correctness wankery that pleases few and ticks off many. If someone wants a gay character that bad, then they can use their imagination and head canon to 'fill in the blanks' as far as that character's personal life goes. I like characters that never had (or will have children) so they can do the same.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It won't surprise me at all if it happens but it holds zero appeal for me.

RexExLiberi and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  14. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    If there are any characters in Rebels that are homosexual, I hope they don't make a big deal out of it. I want the characters to come off as normally as possible and not "play it up" like most shows do.

Master_Rebado and Lady_Misty like this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Though I'm not at all a fan of the idea of making SW an overt platform for social issues (as I just don't see that as being a part of Star Wars doing what it does best), I see no reason why any homosexual relationship in SW which is portrayed in a similar fashion as any SW hetero one shouldn't be included in the new stories.

Sure, why not? This is especially true of any new characters.

In fact, my only sort of stipulation, really, is that it always get me when I hear folks talk about taking a character already clearly established as obviously attracted to the opposite sex, and then casually quipping, "Oh, make Luke, or Ahsoka, or Obi-Wan gay. That would be cool." And all I can think is, "What, are we just supposed to pretend as if we never saw Skywalker's obvious attraction for Leia (okay, we know how that ended up weird, but still), Tano's pretty clear interest in Lux or Kenobi's relationship with and feelings for Satine?"

You know what I mean?

I just don't like the idea of taking something (anything) already established about a character like that, and then turning that characterization on its ear, when there's never been any hint of supporting evidence for such a move, and then just doing it 'for the lulz.'

But if the creators of Rebels wanted to make, for example, Zeb or Sabine, Kanan or Hera* gay? More power to them.

*I was going to mention Ezra, but we've already learned that he has an attraction to Sabine.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm still bitter over Game of Thrones' horrendous reliance on tired and false stereotypes to portray its gay characters that I'd almost say it's be better for Rebels to steer clear; they'll probably make it incredibly offensive.

And, StarWarsFan91: don't I remember you being unable to type the word 'gay' without an asterix in the past? Now you're making threads about it; good for you!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do don't remember doing that all the time, then again you may be right and it's my brain failing me.

18. Jamie1001

Jamie1001 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2014
    Its something I would like to see. Im sure Filoni and his team could do it well.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    No. Its unfortunate and Disney and Marvel have been trying ram Far Leftist politics down peoples throats and make political statements through their media to subvert the traditional family, accepted morality and natural law. They should just stay neutral but instead there is an obvious Marxist direction with their product that is offensive to people and promotes amorality. Old Walt would be rolling over in his grave if knew what has become of his company. I dont want my nieces and nephews or future children exposed to homosexuality or bestiality anymore than I would. As the late great Charlton Heston once, said., 'Political correctness is tyranny with manners.'

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And here...we...go.

Well folks, it was nice to have a civil thread while it lasted. Good job StarWarsFan91 . And reiterating what Jack said; cool that you were able to go from posting "g*y" to starting this thread. :)

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    anakinfansince1983 having too much fun to bother now, hopefully some people take care of it before I do. [face_cowboy]

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    A New Dawn has Kanan flirting with Hera, and also a female Imperial officer, from what previews I've read. I've also heard that Ezra's Gamble hints that Hera returns Kanan's feelings. And, like you said, Ezra's attracted to Sabine.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of the characters you listed, Revanfan1 , I think Sabine is the most likely choice, and that's just based on the old speculation about Kanan and Hera.

Of course Zeb is a potential one as well. Depending on how old he is, I could see him in a scenario as depicted in the Leonardo DiCaprio "J.Edgar" movie. I thought that relationship was well done. It was not flagrant/over-the-top/in-your-face at all, which is what we've all said we were trying to avoid in either a homosexual or heterosexual romance.

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    anakinfansince1983

That would be interesting. I've never seen that movie though, but I have heard a bit about it. Sometimes subtly hinting at any romance, heterosexual or homosexual works better in the long run. It's better to build a relationship up, maybe not showing romance every second of the episodes. But enough to keep people interested and wanting more gradually.

I also agree with Sabine being the most likely choice as well.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    39 (Human Equivalent).