main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh those guys. Right. I could see it. Though I'd much prefer the Inquisitor and Kallus as a couple.

Hmm. Maybe though. I might go back and watch it again. Thanks for the heads up. :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Can we PLEASE just enjoy the show without all the checklists of "diversity" items and "representation" figures?

Can a show just be a good show?

Maker, you people suck all the joy right out of everything...

deathraygun and JediFan215 like this.
  3. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Right. Because wanting to have diversity is a bad thing. People are people. There is no reason why there shouldn't be any LGBT representation in any show. By your logic, I suppose we shouldn't have Hera and Kanan as a couple or Ezra and Sabine on there because that is diversity as well. There is no difference.

It is a good show. But this would make it even better. It would make more kids feel like they are not different for having two moms, or two dads or even being gay themselves. It would push all that pain away they get from bullies.

No, we bring joy to people who want to be accepted and now have a good place to talk about homosexuality in Rebels.

4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    *looks back at the past few pages in this thread*

I don't think we've been sucking the joy out of anything. We've actually been having a lot of fun.

5. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree. We don't need to make Star Wars politically correct.

MODified: I took out the hate-slang for ya.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm just going to hope that was sarcastic and that I'm being Sheldon today.

7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Excuse me?

So, then I suppose we should take away Sabine and Ezra for having different colored skin. And Kanan and Hera for being an inter species couple. Oh, and Zeb for being a different race of a person. I'm sorry, I fail to see where your coming from. Because it sounds to me like you're being homophobic.

What is wrong with having a female character as a lead? Sabine and Hera are lead characters?

8. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't say any of that. There's nothing wrong with the female character in the lead. I'm just saying they've already done that for diversity. There's nothing wrong with the racial diversity, but I don't want homosexuality in Star Wars

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's the key word right there. Gay or straight, there is no difference. People are people. Human beings. Why should one have an advantage over another because of their sexuality. It would show kids with two moms, two dads or being gay themselves that it is okay to be different. That you shouldn't be afraid of who you are. It would also help ease the pain of bullying. So again, there is nothing wrong with gay people. This isn't an issue at all, so please stop trying to make it one.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I erased the phrase so erase the discussion about it before I erase your ability to post.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Of course. Let's get back on track shall we?

12. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Edit: yah lets just get back on track. It's good that most of us here don't treat diversity like a checklist to be burdened with, but instead as an opening of possibility.

13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Let's just ease up a bit guys, before this thread get's shut down okay?

Anyway, did anyone want to bring a new and civil topic to the table about this?

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Looks like a few folks don't like change very much. As for a new and civil topic, I've got nothing yet.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's okay. :)

Quick, everyone brainstorm!

16. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    I'm not sure Disney wants the type of attention that introducing a gay character on a children's tv show would generate. Right before they re-energize the entire GFFA with EPVII. Kind of a gamble. And while negative publicity, is still generating interest in the franchise, I would suspect that would not be seen as putting their best foot forward. Then again, the Mouse loves gay pride during June so....

I'd prefer relationships be kept to a minimum(non-existent) unless it's critical to the story. In other words, I'm not even sure I like the Kanan / Hera dynamic.

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    If you read A New Dawn, you can kind of understand the Hera/Kanan dynamic a bit more. But I'm not sure if you've read that or not.

You know, Disney actually had Two moms for this one little girl in Good Luck Charlie a while back.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was opposed to romance in Rebels but I think Kanan/Hera is well done.

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    They really seem to fit well together.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree. You can tell that they are together without being over the top obvious about it.

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I love it when she calls Kanan 'love'. It's kind of adorable.

22. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    TheSilentInfluence I haven't read it, maybe get around to it, but I've read enough excerpts to realize they're a thing. And while they did it on whatever Good Luck Charlie is, I think SW is a much wider audience, with a much more rabid fan base. In its current form, it seems to be Kanan (dad), Kera (mom), Sabine (older sister), Ezra (son), Zeb (weird uncle from out of town), and Chopper ( family pet). I don't think we'll see Ezra and Sabine hooking up, and for that I'm glad. It already seems she's not really interested.

Even though I don't agree/nor want to see it, Sabine running into an "old friend" is something I could see happening down the road.

23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    It's a kids show that aired on Disney Channel. But the series had already ended before they showed that. I agree on the Ghost Team being more like a family though. And I really don't want to see Ezra and Sabine happen either.

Hey, don't worry about it. At least your being civil towards us about it. But yeah, same here. It would be interesting at least. It could be on the scale of what Kanan and Hera have right now. Sometimes, subtly is the best option.

24. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Not sure if you've ever played Mass Effect, but they handled well with the Asari I thought, and one of the other characters later on, maybe the ensign, I can't remember who she was as it's been awhile.

25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Was it Samantha Traynor?

But yeah, I have played it. I really liked them. And the way they handled Liara was amazing. She's was such an interesting character, and they didn't let her sexuality define her.

deathraygun likes this.