main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not worried about the fan base being rabid. I've been on these boards for almost 14 years and there are a lot fewer people who are anti-gay now than there were in the PT days. I'm going to guess that's because society has changed and we're circling the wagons now.

Definitely agree that all pairings should be as subtle as Kanan and Hera's pairing is. I'm a lot more invested/interested in them because they are subtle. My reaction to anything over the top is "Shut up already."

2. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    anakinfansince1983

I think that's the main reason I love watching Kanan and Hera so much is their relationship isn't dwelled on or focused on or over the top. It's just something that's a part of who they are and that's all it needs to be. They act just like almost every couple I know in my own life, gay or straight, and how I often think I act with my own mate in public too. That's what makes it enjoyable to watch, because it's believable.

If there were to be a gay character or gay relationship in the show, as long as it was depicted in the same casual sort of way, that would be perfect.

3. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    There is a HUGE difference and you know it.

EVERY show I've seen where "diversity" (esp homosexuality) became a big deal has ultimately failed. The Ellen Degeneres show, for example. Watched it. Loved it. She came out of the closet and it was "all lesbian, all the time". Enjoyment factor plummeted. Not only because of material considered offensive by a large segment of the population, but because it no longer talked about anything else.

If I want to watch a polemic about the alleged wonderfulness of being gay, I'll turn the channel to PBS.

If I want to watch Star Wars, I want to watch Star Wars.

The two do not belong together.

And those of us who don't want to see Star Wars turned into another chunk of "diversity" propaganda can just sit on it...is that what you are saying?

4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Alright, use Ellen DeGeneres as an example of how homosexuality can't connect with mainstream audiences. :rolleyes:[face_laugh]

It's a new millennium.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  5. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Not all change is good. Not all "lifestyle choices" should be encouraged.

What some people choose to do voluntarily in the privacy of their own rooms is their business. It's their existence physically and morally that they put at risk.

But there's nothing that says that society must positively promote those things as good.

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
  7. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Kev Snowmane

Edit: There's no point in fighting with you.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    TheSilentInfluence

Don't bother arguing with him. That last post pretty much screams "I am a raging homophobe."

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    All right, I'll just edit my post then.

I just got carried away.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought of something else, a mix-up between Kallus and some of the characters in the Empire comics:

Instead of Kallus and the Inquisitor, which was funny as hell to speculate on, but they probably wouldn't be a good couple...what about a secret relationship between a couple of Academy-level Imperials? Secret because the Empire, well, frowns upon fraternization. ;) Kallus finds out and has to make a choice about being a hypocrite by turning the Academy cadet into the Empire, then going home to his partner.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh god. [face_laugh]

That would be perfect. Maybe if he doesn't turn him in he and the Inquisitor can become mentors to the younger couple.

What if Rae Slaone likes women? I could see it.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She'd be a good one to pull in. Her wife could be a scientist at a university now run by the Empire.

13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That would be awesome. :) I could see that for sure.

And she sends poetry to her wife every night because she loves her that much. And it's the fancy romantic kind.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

15. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

...That would be adorable.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi Kev Snowmane. I said around the time that this thread was created to keep RL politics out of discussions here. As you can see, everyone else is capable of doing so- I suggest you do the same. [face_peace]

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    You wanna know something amusing? I can see Minister Maketh Tua giving Rae a look like that everytime she does something that is cute and amusing.

18. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    Tua keeps popping up places too. She was in the little section of Edge of the Galaxy that I read so far.

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Is that a book?

Maybe Rae and her are working more because they want to buy a home on Dantooine with a white picket fence. :p

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  20. ifleninwasawizard

Jun 2, 2014
    Edge of the Galaxy is the first part of the Servants of the Empire series. It focuses on Zare a year before Breaking Ranks.

The three other parts have yet to come out.

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Oh right.

I really want to get that book. Thanks. :)

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I bet if anyone in this show is gay/lesbian it will only be a minor character.

23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe.

You never know though.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just though of something could a clone of a straight person be gay.

25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I guess they could. I've never really thought about that before. It's possible, at any rate.