main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah. Definitely a candidate then.

2. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Uh oh, Vorax figured us out. It wasn't supposed to get out that Marxists took over Disney a while ago. I'm sure everyone is going to be at a panic at the next Communist Global Domination (M-L) meeting I go to next week. [face_nail_biting]

Though in all seriousness, homosexuality is just one of many traits a person can have. The reason it should be included somewhere in the canon isn't to right some social injustice. Instead, it should be included because homosexuality is one of many ways an author can make their character distinct. SW is going to have a growing number of characters who will all need little distinguishing characteristics. Just as an author might make the character tall, or give them red hair, an author might make a character homosexual to give them a detail that adds another small dimension.

Authors should take advantage of humanities diversity. 19th century values shouldn't limit the types of characters we can see.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'll presume that you're from the United States, like the majority here, Vorax. In the USA, around 4% of the population - some 13 million or so - openly identify as part of the LGBT community. That says nothing of the myriad others who simply are too afraid of bigotry, too afraid to live their lives as they want. 13 million people is a huge number - for me, that is over half of the population of my homeland. I fail to see how 13+ million people's lives are "Far Leftist", Marxist politics.

The close-minded cling to "traditional family, accepted morality and natural law" promotes discontentment and unhappiness in the LGBT crowd; I know - I am a member. The feeling of inadequacy, that you're not "right" will only continue if media forms don't portray homosexual characters. Moreover, to not do so is a sham; it doesn't reflect reality. (And "natural law" as an argument is downright offensive, but that's another matter).

Who knows, perhaps one of your nieces, nephews, or your future children may turn out to be homosexual!

Okay, and back to Rebels: I would be thrilled if a gay character was included. However, I would be less thrilled if the show relied on tired stereotypes instead of character building to tell its story. I was unaware about the gay character in How To Train Your Dragon until this week (I never saw either one); that is a really cool, positive, and harmless step in the right direction. Moreover, I want diversity beyond sexual orientation: the old SWEU had an horrendous track record in terms of diversity, and I would like to see that path not taken this time. We need more women. We need more people of different ethnic background than white European. We need more aliens.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said.

Nothing to add to this other than the way that women are portrayed in old-school Disney movies is atrocious. Princess needs a man so she can live happily ever after. "Someday my prince will come." [face_sick] I'm glad modern Disney films have moved away from this ****, as it promotes a mentality that ranges from stupid to dangerous.

I'm glad Rebels is including a woman pilot and ship owner. I'm glad it is including a character who appears Latino and one who appears Asian, as well as an alien character. I would be very happy if it also included a character attracted to the same sex.

5. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Elsa didn't need a man.

Yeah, here's hoping right? At the very least they could just hint at a character being homosexual for example.

Ezra motions his head to a rebel candidate: Huh, I never knew that she was that pretty.
    Sabine: I did. Have you been living under a rock?

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Without using Google, do you actually know what Marxism is?

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    See, I knew other people would handle that better than I would. Now I just have to wait and see if Vorax accepts that not every LGBT person is a Marxist. [face_clown]

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dammit Tarkas. I just Googled whether Marx was gay or not. (He wasn't.)

But yeah...Log Cabin Republicans. That is all.

9. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Sure, why not. I mean an advanced space faring series with inter species relationships would be over the point of sexuality right?

10. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007

I don't want to see homosexuality in Star Wars either. Why risk alienating people that are not accepting of homosexuality?
    I don't think it is something Homosexuals are clamouring for anyway. "Chopper must be gay, chopper must be gay!" lol

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Somebody better change Hera's character. Can't risk alienating people who aren't accepting of the idea that women can fly spaceships.

Somebody needs to rewrite Mace's character in TCW as well. I'm sure the KKK is really pissed off right about now.

There is an alternative to being offended by post-1960 depictions in cartoons. It's called "entering the 21st century." You'll find it's lots of fun, just like newer cartoons.

Bor Mullet, Frank T., Samnz and 10 others like this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_rofl]

A visual answer to the question "Why risk alienating people?":

[​IMG]

13. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007

I'm thinking of religious people. Comparing Christians/Muslims to racists is not an apt comparison and I would argue could be construed as offensive to millions of the worlds population. Best to leave well alone IMO.

As for the snarky comment about "welcome to the 20th century"...
    Guess what, when the bible was written thousands of years ago, many accepted Homosexuality and beastiality way back then. So to say Christians are out of touch with modern life is a fallacy. The pagan lands the Israelites invaded practiced homosexuality. The ancient Greeks didn't even have a name for it, the practice was so common. They were also all pediophiles. It was normal thousands of years ago. Those that have followed the teaching of the bible have traditionally been reviled for their beliefs. We've just getting back tot hat now.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not all Christians and Muslims are homophobic. In fact, the number of Christians and Muslims who are not homophobic is growing.

Those who are homophobic are often also sexist, hence the Hera reference.

As far as the comparison of homophobes to racists being "offensive"--I don't care.

My point stands.

The alternative to being offended is "enter the 21st century". Or stick with a 1950s cartoon in which everyone fits in neat boxes with white picket fences.

I'm not sure why Disney or anyone else is supposed to worry about being "inclusive" of people who have put so much emphasis on excluding an entire group of people.

15. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    Just edited my comment to answer you in full.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Did you seriously just compare homosexuality to bestiality and pedophilia?

17. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Both racists and homophobes seek to deprive groups of people of basic human dignity and respect. Some attempt to use their outdated religious viewpoints as justification for the latter form of bigotry, but fundamentally there is no difference.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm only gonna say this once. Keep on topic. I realize homosexuality is a contentious subject, but let's keep discussion limited to how it can or cannot play a role in Rebels.

If you want to go more in depth, we always have the overall diversity thread. But still means no getting into personal politics or name-calling. Any further derailment and I will not be a happy mod.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I made the point that In the bible all 3 are considered just as bad to God. Leviticus 18:22-27.
    Not saying this is my personal view, but GOD'S.
    Don't like it, hate him, not me.

But I didn't come to a star wars forum to discuss these things. I want fantasy, not real-world contentions. Let's just leave these things out of Star Wars.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If this dialogue happens, the episode will likely be my favorite.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TheNewEmpire I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were already typing that before my last post.

But I really mean it, folks. Keep on topic. TNE's already going in the right direction with that last sentence.

22. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007

Thank you. I'm going to leave the thread. I've come here to say what I wanted to say. And have nothing left to contribute. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to voice my thoughts. Peace.

23. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I would be very open to having a gay character in Rebels, especially Sabine. Now whether they would actually have Sabine in a relationship or just hint at the fact that she is gay is my question. I know they had the two mothers on Good Luck Charlie, but I still have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that the network might block Rebels from showing Sabine (or whoever ends up being gay) in a relationship. But at the very least, when you have Weisman on a show, you can expect diversity. So we will probably have a gay character through subtext.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Any proof that your god exists? Any proof that their will is that which is in the bible? It's about as strong an argument as putting bastards to death, because the people of Westeros barely tolerate them. I don't really care much for ancient texts controlling how I live my life.

Mod EDIT: I warned to stay on topic, and I meant it.

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    credar

I could see them having Sabine chatting up a girl in a cantina or somewhere. Like, you can't really hear the dialogue but you can tell by their actions and maybe a giggle from said other girl.

credar likes this.