main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I was just thinking because you don't really have a choice in being gay unless I am wrong that no clones of a straight man would be gay.

2. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    To my knowledge the science is still unclear about what makes somebody gay. Though a few years ago there was a apparently a study that showed that boys with several older siblings were more likely to be gay. That produced the theory that changes in the mothers womb may cause male homosexuality. I have no idea if subsequent studies supported or rejected that theory.

Though if that theory is true, it is possible that a slight change in the chemistry of the gestation tubes could have produced a whole batch of gay clones.

3. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    That right when you say no one chooses to be gay.

I guess it just depends. It's really hard to explain. Um, it's like, that's just the way you were born. I don't believe genetics or anything has anything to do with someone's sexuality. But that clone theory has never been tested before. So, who knows right?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I was just wondering since there was a giant clone army but lets talk about the characters in rebels before someone starts talking about politics.

5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Jedi Knight Fett

Yes please. That would be great.

Okay, let's talk more about Rae and her girlfriend/wife. ;)

6. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    What is up with the acute cases of liberal guilt these days and attempts to force stuff into places where it may not fit in popular fiction?
    I would like a subject like this be treated with care in any eventual character and not just forced in for PC reasons..

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Did you read the thread? Aside from the few anti-gay rants, that's what every single one of us have been saying.

Not a single instance of anyone feeling "guilty" either.

8. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    What would Kallus and the Inquisitors ship name be anyway?

Kalisitor?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Inquisitorus.

Or Inquisitallus.

10. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I like Inquisitorus.:)

Okay. How about Rae and Maketh?

Mae?

Raketh?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Racketh.

It's so...Shakespearean.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    :D

So...Rae has to write sonnets for Maketh now?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. MovingPictures73

MovingPictures73 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 12, 2014
    One thing with that, is you run the risk of making it appear as political propaganda. It would be the same manor as including religious overtones in way that awkwardly alters the archetypal nature of the universe.

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I can see where your coming from. But for the most part we would want it similar to how Kanan and Hera are portrayed. You know their in a realtionship; but it's more subtle then obvious. There doesn't have to be any political reason other then acceptance and that it's okay to be who you are. It doesn't have to be awkward or anything as long as it's written well and with care and that they show that a person is more then their sexuality.

15. MovingPictures73

Jul 12, 2014

I see an updated post-modern vibe which I think is cool, I believe it is a matter of culture not dictating the substance too much. I have always believed the essence of Star Wars is the story and narrative coming through the lens of the force itself. That in itself has a certain implied "God" presence, that I believe is the foundation of it all.

16. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I'm not sure what about the archetypal nature of the Star Wars universe would be altered by revealing that it has a similar makeup of sexual/romantic orientations as the real world.

As for the clone thing, my understanding is that RL identical-twin studies have shown that if one twin is gay, the other is somewhat more likely to be gay than the average population, but it's far from a 100% match - there are plenty of identical twin pairs out there with different sexual orientations. That suggests that genetics plays a small role in sexual orientation, but along with many other factors (e.g. the theory about the environment of the mother's womb, etc). So a straight person could have a gay clone.

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Right. You're saying that in theory the force is 'god'? Sorry. I just want to understand where your coming from.

18. MovingPictures73

Jul 12, 2014

For as long as I have been a Star Wars fan what has drawn me in has been the spiritual overtones I have observed personally and connecting me to my faith. I am a Christian but I have seen the lens of my God through Star Wars as much as the teachings of my faith.

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Wow. Okay. I don't really look at Star Wars like that. Not that I'm making fun of you or anything.

So, do you agree with having homosexuality in Rebels and Star Wars in general? They actually had a same sex male couple; Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur. Mandalorian men in the Star Wars EU. And Disney has already portrayed two moms in a show called Good Luck Charlie rather well. Just in case you needed to know.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's cool if that's what works for you, but I also think there's plenty in Star Wars for those of us who are not spiritual.

I've always been more focused on the characters themselves and character interpersonal dynamics, and how those remind me of people I've interacted with or would want to interact with in real life. I don't fit in a 1950s television show or a Norman Rockwell painting and neither do the people I know in real-life or online; I see no reason for Star Wars to fit into that kind of box either.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Star wars can be viewed how ever the watcher wants to view it as witch is one of the great things about it.

22. Coocoo for Lekku

Coocoo for Lekku Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 9, 2015
    Just a quick hello! I've been lurking around the forums for over a year now. But the combination of enjoying the discussion in this thread and Kablob's great series on Barriss' motivations in TCW has finally compelled me to join and contribute.

I'd like to think that western animation is at a tipping point in terms of lgbt representation. You look at the subtle (and sometimes not-so subtle) implications on cartoons like Adventure Time, The Legend of Korra and even Giancarlo Volpe's comments concerning Barriss and Ashoka in Weapons Factory. It seems like the content creators and staff area already including lgbt characters and themes in these shows, even if the networks airing them are still reluctant.

But it seems obvious that change is already happening and it's only a matter of time before some show becomes the first. I'm sure some folks will complain, but I'm equally sure the world won't end and after the first example, many others will follow.

There's no small amount of wishful thinking on my part, but I picked up on the same undertones of Sabine being gay. While many seem to view Disney as too conservative and "family-friendly" the very definition of what makes a family has changed drastically in just a few short years. It's exciting, and I wouldn't rule anything out.

I've loved SW as long as I've been able to crash spaceships together. It would be incredible to see the galaxy I love lead the way!

Antlers and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Coocoo for Lekku

Welcome to the forums. :)

I agree with you. Though Freddie mentioned in a radio interview a while back that Sabine was asexual and had zero interest in Ezra. I can send you the link if you like.

But yeah, Sabine being gay would be awesome. She's already a great role model to people and this would add to her character in a positive way. I mean, she isn't afraid to be herself; so if a viewer who is homosexual; whether that's an adult, teen or child sees that and the creators have her be attracted to the same sex in the show, then it could be really positive. Because they are saying and showing that a persons sexuality is only one part of them and they don't have to be ashamed of being different from others in any way. That they can stand tall and be proud of who they are.

Did you know on Disney's Good Luck Charlie show they had a gay couple?

But well said; I really enjoyed reading that. :D

24. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Sexual orientation is mostly predetermined during conception with genetics. Of course, Humans can also think for themselves. So Jango's clones would be straight (as far as we know). Though, that doesn't mean they are limited to that.

25. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Welcome to the Forums.

Society definitely has an impact on what current TV shows present. Right now the United States is in the turning point of legalizing Gay Marriage and newer generations are a lot more liberal and accepting toward others. It's the same as when integration started becoming the norm. Blacks started appearing on shows and being allowed in relationships more and more without it being considered taboo. Heck, Star Trek is a prime example of this. Family values are changing (thankfully), and people aren't as prejudice as they used to be.