main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm not saying u bad but I think u need help!

2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    We all need help but there's no cure for loving Star Wars I'm afraid.

3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I for one don't want a cure. :p

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    You mean.....

:D

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Mods can remove this if they want, but I just wanted to post this picture in honor of the Orlando shooting massacre :-*(

[​IMG]

6. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Wow, that is adorable.

Such a shame that there is still a sizeable portion of society consisting of bigots, which results to such unfortunate events.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

It certainly is a shame.

8. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    There's an on going discussion on that in the official homosexuality discussion thread if you were curious.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/homosexuality-the-thread.22965104/page-426#post-53633574

But yeah, what happened in Orlando was horrifying.

Sandtrooper956 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  9. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I do so adore Raikoh's Barissoka art. He does such a great job of conveying the love so many of us wish they had had for each other. It almost makes you forget the reality of their fates.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Thank you for giving the proper credit to the artist; which I neglected to include.

11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I bet secretly DF hated Barrisoka as friends or something "more". I bet that's why he turned Barris into a mad bomber type.

Not that I'm saying DF is a hateful person. But I'm sure he knew Barris was a fan favorite.

I just realized I used the word hated and the phrase not hateful in the same post. Sometimes I confuse myself. Long day I had. Tired I am, sleep I need.

I miss Barris. I wanted her to be the 8th whatever inquisitor.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I don't think Filoni had any regret on the so-called "Barrisoka" phenomenon. I believe it was his full intention to develop the friendship of the two young Padawans only to culminate it with the framing in Season 5.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  13. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I suppose your rite. It just seems the Barris turn came from so "outta no ware!". More so than Ani's.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Filoni hated Barrisoka, but I don't think Barriss going dark was planned very far in advance either.

It came about because someone needed to betray Ahsoka and it could not be someone whose fate was decided in the films. That left Barriss, the only non-film character to have made a good connection with her anywhere in the series.

...except Rex, and using him really would not have made sense.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Rather it have Barris as the betrayer than Lux. That would've been both cliche and redundant for the series.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Technically Barriss was in AOTC, so it would be more precise to say "character whose fate wasn't determined by ROTS". But yes, this seems very likely to be the actual reasoning.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think they planned for having someone do the whole temple bombing thing and Ahsoka being framed for some time. However based on absolutely nothing except a hunch I believe it was probably meant to be someone perhaps like Ventress but as sometimes happen, she'd developed in ways unforeseen and it didn't make sense for it to be her. They rooted around for an alternative candidate, someone, somewhere, threw in Barris' name and the rest is history.

I am of the belief that the 'shipping moments' were probably only ever intended as a little gift for the fans who'd embraced the idea, and it was never seriously in contention for a canonical romantic relationship. But equally, I think that it being inspired by homophobia or a dislike of the relationship in general is also far off the mark.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A lot of people did believe the bomber was Ventress, at least until Filoni did his commentary on the second to the last episode and made it obscenely obvious that it was Barriss.

But there would have been no "betrayal" there and Ventress was headed towards a redemption of sorts, plus she would not bomb the Jedi Temple unless there were something more in it for her anyway.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not sure how this would make sense, since the person who said it was intentional was the director of one of the Geonosis arc episodes - i.e. the first episodes where Ahsoka and Barriss interacted at all. I mean, sure, fans ship characters with no interaction whatsoever fairly frequently, but I kind of doubt that was a thing (especially since Barriss being Ahsoka's peer instead of Anakin's was a TCW change in the first place).

20. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I don't care if there have a homesexual character in Rebels, or a Star Wars film, but it has to be natural. They can't be doing it just to be politically correct. Don't make it a big part of the plot either because I doubt homosexuality is a big deal in the GFFA.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Romance can be a big part of Star Wars. Remember Attack of the Clones? Regardless well I do agree it should be done as naturally and casually as possible I doubt they would do it to be politically correct. Star Wars already has a ton of gay characters in the new canon novels and it's great.

But making people aware that there are homosexual characters in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean it's some big political statement, they just want people who read the books to be able to relate. It would be the same for the books or movies having a gay character.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    For once I'd like a Romance free SW. Gay, straight, questioning, whatever. But I know it will never happen. I don't , I really, really don't want to see Han woo another women in his "solo" movie. Like him saying "Oh baby your the only one I truly love".

A bromance with Chewbacca is ok!

Sorry to go OT.

23. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    By big deal I meant the character saying he/she is gay. If the character has a same sex partner or romance that is fine. Treat it like it's a normal occurance in the GFFA.

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    If they say their gay it's okay. Or bisexual or whatever their sexuality is. I can see your point though, but if they handle same sex couples and characters the way they do in the books should we ever get an lgbt character in the show, I'm sure it's going to be normal and casual.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Normal and Casual don't fit in the SWU! Unless you're flying the Falcon by a Star Destroyer!