main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. darkmarc

darkmarc Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 30, 2013
    Respectfully, anakinfansince1983, I too have to side with Tammy Mac on this one. As someone who clearly is open and accepting, you want/hope/presume to think everyone will be equally openand accepting (as do I) and, if they're not, to deny them a platform for their bigotry of whatever sort . But our perspectives are also governed by our own self-identifications, I wager--I identify as heterosexual (as I suspect do you). That means our understanding of the situation differs from someone like TM's who self-identifies differently.

I think the point about how politicizing a character's/person's sexuality is must be addressed. And it certainly would/will be addressed if Disney/LFL ponder the question as we are here. Yes, ignorant people equating sexuality to other traits (corruption, deviousness etc that Tammy Mac listed) "need to get out more"--or more accurately need to get their heads out of their @$$ more--but the reality is that such decisions with characters will have political ramifications no matter how much we all here wish otherwise. That could be a good thing, though, if it opened up more dialogue on the subject of acceptance, couldn't it?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    You know they don't have to kiss right? Not that I would mind it personally and it's not because it's 'hot'. Or stop them because it's 'gross'. I thought you were trying to start an arugument. So my apologies. Their are politics, yes. But we don't need it to be directly shown on the show either. If they make Sabine a lesbian or bisexual, that would be great. I would be happy to they had the guts to actually do that, to be honest and Disney already did it with good luck charlie. So they might do it here.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is politics. But does it have to be brought into every conversation? No. Of course not. We should just enjoy sitting here, and talking about how it could be incorportated into Rebels and perhaps which character would be best suited. I'm not trying to start an argument with you. I'm just saying my opinion.

With kids, I understand that their parents might object, so we all have to bring the LGBT community into a positive light yes? I've know a lot of people who were bigots and not very accepting, but most of the time they go away eventually. Now, if they say put an LGBT character in the show and some parents were mad? Okay. Let's hope their kids turn out better. But I think that their would be some people who would be on board and support the show and the LGBT community to the fullest.

3. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    Of course it is politics, the very fact that we are having this discussion is down to politics.The fact that two same sex characters kissing would get the show a higher rating than two heterosexual characters kissing is entirely down to politics. Also I made no mention of a 'homosexual personality'. Instead I expressed concern as to what personality traits someone who is show as gay will also be given. To make a villainous character gay, yet all the good guys Hetero-normative for example, would potentially associate homosexuality with villainy. To show a gay character as cowardly or devious could be construed as tying those negative traits to all gay people. Cartoon villains across the decades are usually portrayed as camp, effete, cowardly men... a familiar stereotype, no? The fact that a stereotypical view of inept villains and homosexual men seriously overlap is a prime example of what I am talking about.

Of course, the character should just be gay, but equality in law does not mean equality in attitude. We have a long way to go before our relationships are widely viewed as equally valid as hereto-normative relationships, before people stop attacking us in the street or in our homes, before people in backward countries stop executing us, or 'correctively' raping us. I have known people commit suicide rather than face any more rejection or abuse. People are killed for their sexuality every day. The attitudes that lead to these actions, are the same attitudes that would kick off a huge fuss at the show if there was the slightest hint that kids were being told it isn't wrong to be gay. I firmly believe that the best way to normalise something is to show it as no big deal to kids at a young age. Unfortunately there are plenty of adults who disagree.

Yes, it would be wonderful to have an organic "Oh by the way, so-and-so is gay, and now off to Bespin for more OT cameos" but there WILL be backlash from conservative and right-wing religious groups. Disney, keeping its eye on the bottom line, has to weigh the possible results of that backlash and work out it the equality points it gets earn it more viewers than ones it will lose. For now, every single decision that would be made regarding this matter will be made with that in mind... and it sucks.

The fact is that it will be Sabine, if anyone who would be the LGBT character. She's not the lead female so she has no authority (especially over male characters), lesbians are more socially acceptable than gay men, a lesbian (especially active) would pull in a more specific type of an audience (I sure hope she's not under-age) on top of the fact that she already subverts gender roles with her tomboyish behaviour. Female homosexuality is usually dismissed as invalid anyway; more of a personality quirk before the right guy comes along and 'cures' them. I don't think Filoni would ever be the type of guy who would show that kind of story, but as for Disney itself, its views on women in general have been somewhat lagging behind the times until they recently decided to play catch-up.

4. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Tammy Mac

And you've convinced me on the politics. Wow, I had to read that over twice and I find myself agreeing with you. So...no harsh feelings with my earlier posts?

5. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    None at all :)

6. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Thanks :) Are you some type of professional public speaker by any chance? I'm just curious.

7. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013

More of a ranter and blogger. I'm also a screenwriter working on a series looking to give a fair and balanced view of the experience of Trans people... it's why this topic is not far from my mind right now.

8. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Sorry to be a little off topic. But would like be like a T.V. series or a movie?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear with my initial post. I specifically said no discussion of personal politics, as well as a general message to keep on topic. Basically, all I meant was that no one should be getting into any "homosexuality means X to me" or "gays are teh devil". Y'know, nothing that includes or leads to hurled insults, implied or overt. I'm aware of the repercussions of actually including a gay character in a kids show, let alone two gay people in a relationship. Granted, I have zero familiarity with Disney XD, but I know well enough about other kids channels to realize that you just don't have explicitly gay characters. If there ever is a gay character, chances are it's only hinted at, like a certain character in the recent HTTYD 2, or a character will have all the hallmarks of a gay character without anyone ever outright saying they're gay, like Spongebob Squarepants, or Bert and Ernie (until recently at least for those two).

Of course, it is fairly easy to keep any RL politics out of it. Page 3 of this thread barely has any RL discussion about homosexuality, just how it would appear in Rebels. It's a multifaceted topic, which is why this thread exists in the first place.

But this is also the internet. I know all too well how discussions about homosexuality can easily devolve into madness. Fortunately, LACWAC and the JCF in general is a great community with many level-headed individuals. My initial warning was made thinking less about how awful you all are and more about how awful these types of discussions can get. We gotta draw a line somewhere. It's really not much different than most SWTV threads. That's what makes these television threads versus Community threads. But like I said, this topic especially so.

So relax peeps. You're doing fine on your own. ;)

10. darkmarc

darkmarc Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 30, 2013
    Tammy Mac, I think--ok, I'd LIKE to think--ratings for an animated kids show wouldn't be affected by a gay vs. lesbian vs. hetero kiss, tho even as I type I can see it happening. So, yeah, let's keep it at suggestions of sexual preference. But here's hoping Disney has the wherewithal to make the gffa truly diverse!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    There is an LGBT version of the Bechdel Test. It is called the Vito Russo test and it requires the character to meet the following criteria.
    • The film contains a character that is identifiably lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender.
    • That character must not be solely or predominantly defined by their sexual orientation or gender identity (i.e. the character is made up of the same sort of unique character traits commonly used to differentiate straight characters).
    • The LGBT character must be tied into the plot in such a way that their removal would have a significant effect.
    (link for reference http://www.out.com/entertainment/movies/2013/08/21/finally-glaad-makes-bechdel-test-gay-visibility)

Fortunately I cannot see the second point being much of an issue given the nature of the series, and if the character is a series regular than the third would be also be a given. We just need Disney and Lucasfilm to go that first step.
    Say it is Sabine, then that would be great because we've heard so much about her personality and how cool she is before we have any hint of who she's attracted to. I know that she is the most obvious choice over Zeb, and the others have all been shown to be same-sex attracted at least, if not completely heterosexual, but it would be a shame not to take this opportunity. I would just hope that they would give any relationship coverage she has, equal treatment to the coverage of all other relationships in the series. It is not how much is shown that is the key to the quality of the portrayal, but how different the portrayals can be.

( also TheSilentInfluence, if you want to know about my series, I have an overview on my blog here http://thewriterstransition.wordpre...s-based-drama-series-and-i-am-working-on-one/)

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Busy week for me at work; I saw this earlier but just now am getting to address it.

I understand what you are saying, and in no way did I mean to diminish the experiences of Tammy Mac or anyone else self-identifying as LGBT.

I am coming from this from cynical standpoint that opening the dialogue with some factions will not change their minds and will only give them a platform for their (at best) stereotypes and (at worst) hatred and bigotry. And I prefer not to give them that platform. But yes, Disney will pay attention, I get that, and I also get that I am speaking from a comfortable position of self-identifying as heterosexual.

My hope is that if/when Disney includes a LGBT character, he/she will not conform to any stereotypes and indeed no one will know of his or her self-identification prior to a dialogue along the lines of "Hey, [that character of the same gender] is kinda hot."

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, but that assumes Disney is capable of subtlety. I have seen nothing to support this notion. :p

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Sabine is sixteen years old.

15. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    I think they should. Star Wars has a problem with diversity and Episode VII wants to fix that. And Rebels might too! But it shouldn't be played as a big deal make it seem normal. Like maybe have a senator be gay?

16. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    People felt the same way about having African Americans in movies.

17. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    Ralph mcquirre influence in rebels like zeb

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    MrRC-Sev

I'm kind of confused at what your post means. Can you clarify a little more please?

19. MrRC-Sev

Aug 21, 2014
    The original design for chewbacca was Zeb

20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Okay...But what does that have to do with Homosexuality and Rebels?

21. MrRC-Sev

Aug 21, 2014
    Removed. That's strike two.

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lets keep things on topic please. Thanks.

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Okay, new question for everyone.

In what way would you like to see a homosexual character shown on Star Wars Rebels? Would you rather it be subtle, like two characters in the background or more open where someone of the same sex actually states they like girls and or boys? What is the best way to portray this?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Forthright but not over the top. I liked the Ezra and Sabine conversation earlier in the thread in which both of them were admiring the same person's looks.

It could also be along the lines of this:

"Sabine, what do you think of that guy?"

*shrug* "I don't know. I'm more into girls."