main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

I think this is probably due to Star Wars becoming a little tired with romance; each branch of the saga has had some form of love story (minus the ST so far) and Disney might want to cool off for a while.

Even Hera and Kanan have been rather lukewarm and Rebels hasn't really explored their relationship.

2. Darth Marcia

Darth Marcia Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2016
    I absolutely love this image! It will be my new desktop image!

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Posted it a long awhile ago (when the Orlando shooting happened), but I'm still glad that you liked the picture :)

Darth Marcia and Ithorians like this.
  4. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    It´s a lovely image, indeed! I´ve been slowly realizing how much I like the character of Barriss Offee. They took basically an extra from AOTC and made a little arc for her to develop as a character in a nice way. The fact that she came from a very "by the book" attitude and is established that she was repressing many feelings because of the Jedi dogma helps make the image so appealing, I think!

Darth Marcia likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Bariss certainly had a huge role to play in several arcs in TCW; not least of which the "fugitive" arc from Season 5.

Darth Marcia likes this.
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Barriss betraying Ahsoka at the end of Season 5 totally ruined the S.S. Barrissoka for me.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ahsoka and Barriss in "Life is Strange"?

[​IMG]

8. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Look at those nerds, with their N64 Rogue Squadron poster. Only a bunch of geeks would have that up.

....or be able to recognize it.

Ahem. Nevermind.

9. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    While playing their PlayStation. ;)

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Is that an original Playstation? For some reason, I need this answered before I can move on with my life.

11. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    no romance in star wars, only lightsaber fights and space battles \O/ pew pew!

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No it looks like the white PS2 version

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I gotta say, it's rather impressive that characters who only interacted in two arcs built up such a formidable shipping fandom that it's dominating the discussion in a thread for a show they're *not even in.*

;)

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Ahsoka is in Rebels. And who knows whether or not Barris will make an unexpected appearance in the show at some point in Season 4?

15. CommanderFlage

CommanderFlage Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2017
    I'd rather there not being any.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, it's TECHNICALLY possible they'll both be in the show and in a corporeal state of existence at the same time.

Honestly though I mostly just posted because I've always been kind of amusedly bemused by the Barriss/Ahsoka people - I don't ship them or even 'get' shipping in general, but I also kind of overlap with them because I *do* consider Ahsoka bi and internalized a lot of how I see Barriss from a thread by Kablob who does ship them. So I can simultaneously sympathize and go "come ON, guys". :p

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I never really gave it much thought about who Ahsoka may have shipped with throughout TCW. She had a brief stint with Lux; but as things went along on Onderon between him and Steela, Ahsoka seemed to give him a friendly nudge of support. I know now that there was supposed to be some fling she had with a new character in the unreleased seasons of TCW, but we'll never know how far that was supposed to go.

18. If thet want to make a homosexual character do it but in a good way
    But I hope they do not do it for muh diversity

I prefer to have a well written character than a character that was created just to satisfy a sector of some community
    In Star Wars does not have to matter much the sexuality of the character the important thing is the story

The only ones who can a create a good homosexual character are the Japanese

19. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Diversity is important to everyone Lord Sith Harloxzz. It's also important that the fans of Star Wars (or any other show) are able to see themselves and relate to characters that are created. And the new canon books already have LGBT characters. Eventually the movies and shows will have them too.

20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I tend to agree with Harloxzz on the point of doing it just for diversity reasons, and solely for that reason, isn't enough. I think I've been fairly consistent here in regards to various things where people want to see it happen, but if it doesn't make sense and wanting it is the only reason because it ticks a box somewhere, just isn't enough. It needs to be done in a way that it homogeneous with the rest of the story being told. That's been an issue with how homosexual characters have been inserted into some of our shows, the addition of the character (sometimes the character being homosexual) comes across as almost an after thought. So it also has to be done well, and one thing I knock on Sense8 about is that while the characters' orientation is critical to not only their background and character, but the stories as well, the show seems to have a good amount of sex in it for no other reason than sex sells. (Sorry, I can think of any other way to write it at the moment.)

Also a character's sexuality/orientation isn't necessarily the only thing that people can find relatable.

People have related to Star Wars characters before now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    jabberwalkie

I get that, but most characters are written up before the show airs along with whoever they are and how they develop. Having LGBT characters is very important, not only to people who find that they can relate to them but also to help show that there are all kinds of different people and that women loving women or men loving men or women and men loving both genders is okay. That needs to be shown on television because that's where most people are looking. Not that books or comics or games aren't important too.

They have related before now, but adding that diversity just helps them feel connected all the more and that's important too. We need to see ourselves on characters.

Mia Mesharad, cwustudent and Vthuil like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Star Wars isn't Sense8. I like both, but for different reasons.

An LGBTQ character in Star Wars would be shown doing GFFA-type activities such as flying X-wings or A-wings or B-wings, fighting bad guys, getting cryptic messages through the Force and landing on single-biome planets...then going home to his husband or her wife and talking about the trip.

That would not be a display for diversity, that would be a characterization consistent with reality as Star Wars fans know it.

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    That's not necessarily true. With how scripts can be pretty much re-written up to when they're filmed/recorded, characters can change throughout the series. The OT in itself is a prime example of this where the background of characters changed between the films, thus changing things about the character.
    When society is already heading in the direction of it being acceptable, and many already have, I have to question the need to do it. What you're describing is a desire or a want, not a need. I need food and water to survive, but I don't need things like coffee, a ribeye steak, or chocolate to survive but do I want them? Sure. (Yes, that's not necessarily equatable, but it's illustrative.) I think Pew Research (first few results that come up on a Google search for me) has done quite a few surveys over the years which point towards homosexuality being accepted by the American community at large, and I think they did a survey or two of some members of the homosexual community and they themselves found that they were being more accepted.

Like I said it should be done in such a way that isn't ticking a box and adds to the story in some way. Personally, I think they missed the boat with Ketsu. And while I don't really ascribe to the Sabeine/Ketsu ship, I see why there's people for it because the chemistry between them was great.
    Never said they were, perhaps you're extrapolating something I didn't say? I meant it as an illustration for an extreme, and how going to that extreme doesn't necessarily add to the story. Who the characters were based on their background, specifically Nomi and Lito, shaped their views and characters. But Sense8 is also a pretty character driven show and Star Wars is more plot driven in nature.
    OK, and that adds to the GFFA story how?
    That's skating pretty close to ticking a box.

So to both of you, the question should be why haven't LGBTQ characters been introduced into the universe since Lucasfilm has become a subsidiary of Disney in visual media? Disney has been a strong proponent of the homosexual community. Outside of Anakin and Padme, and to a lesser extent Han and Leia, relationships haven't really been a focal point or all that important to the larger story of Star Wars. It's one reason why I strongly feel that Rebels has tried to stay away from that. Well, that and I think Filoni doesn't want to deal with another Lux/Ahsoka relationship bit again where the fan base appeared to hate Lux so much that they were completely against the pairing to begin with.

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    jabberwalkie

Society isn't as accepting as you would think. When Disney showed an LGBT couple (that kissed on screen) in their live action show OUAT people lost it. There were plenty who supported it but there were also people who protested and told them how "wrong" they were and that the show should be cancelled. Its not that they won't ever show LGBT characters on screen in Star Wars, but it takes a lot if courage to do so. It'd certainly not about "ticking a box" It's about people seeing themselves in characters and feeling accepted by something that means the world to them. We need diversity and we need LGBT characters. Not just for the sake of having them, but for every generation that needs to related and see themselves in characters they love.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, having a same-sex relationship or LGBTQ character is not about "ticking a box" any more than having white male characters or heterosexual relationships are about "ticking a box." And I have never seen anyone ask why there is a need for a white male character/white male lead. People have asked about the need for a heterosexual romance but not because it is heterosexual.