main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Yes. I find that deeply offensive as well.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sadly I always think there will be racists/misogynists/homophobic people in the world even when most of the world accepts something or a group there will forever be the outliers.

Padme501st likes this.
  3. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    As long as it's a good story and the characters are interesting, I don't care. I think Rebels could easily do it, and I think it might be better received than folks think. At least, I hope so.

The only time something like that felt "forced" (lol, puns) in the new canon, imo, was this character in the Aftermath trilogy; http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eleodie_Maracavanya.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but the whole character just felt like tumblr pandering.

On the plus side, Sinjir was the only character from the protagonists that I actually found interesting (hated the Wexleys). Him and his bf were an interesting duo in the second and third books.

Everything else has felt like it fit right into the world, which is where it should be. A character's gender-identity/orientation/etc shouldn't be standout "HELLO EVERYONE HERE I AM AND THIS IS WHAT I AM" regardless of who and what. It should just...be there. Accepted, matter of fact, whatever you want. Things like that should fit seamlessly into dialogues and monologues and not require a literal introduction. Identity and orientation should be *part* of the character, not BE the character, if that makes sense?

Sinjir was a former Imperial who had all this baggage from torturing people and the battle of Endor, he had all of these other very grounded, every-person problems, but he happened to be gay and it felt very natural. It felt like it was part of his character, and not merely the whole point of his existence, as opposed to Eleodie who felt like zhe was invented entirely for the purpose of making tumblr happy. To be clear, I'm not opposed to a gender-fluid or transgendered character; I just felt Eleodie was poorly conceived and introduced to the point where it felt like a gimmick rather than a real, organic character.

4. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    DavrelKex

Transgender, not transgendered. Saying that makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about, which I'm not entirely sure you do.

Also, let characters just be gay. I'm not sure you've ever met someone in the LGBTQ community, but most of us are constantly shouting at the top of our lungs how gay we are, it's not for you to say we can't do that.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  5. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Most of us don't do that actually. Besides, in a sci fi future i would theoretically assume that acceptance would have made the necessity to "flash" a homosexual personality not necessary any more. But there would of course always be queens somewhere, though i am unsure if they would be in a military or the rebellion.

6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I hope Breha wasn't the only queen in Leia's life. :p

7. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

I never said anyone can't do anything. I just said the Eleodie character was very poorly developed and felt, to me, like a gimmick rather than a real organic character. I suggest you re-read my original post. As for not meeting anyone in the LGBTQ community, I have several as friends and a couple coworkers, though none of them are specifically transgender. I also had friends at Pulse in Orlando (Fl resident.). Nope. The fact that you think "to be gay" means to be a queen is in and of itself pretty damn presumptuous, because of all the folks I've met between here and San Fran, very few would I classify as that outside of pride parades and many would be kind of annoyed at that assumption.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    DavrelKex

Don't bait other users because you disagree with their opinion. Knock it off and move on.

Also you editing out my Mod Edit is going to get you banned if you do it again. Last chance.

Mod Edit: And you're gone.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Something I haven't seen in a while is which character do you guys want to be gay/see being gay.

I am cool with almost anything except one thing Kallus/Zeb is just weird....

RexExLiberi likes this.
  10. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I've seen a few Leia/Sabine and Numa/Hera stories online.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think some people would find it weird that after 40 years Leia turned out to be Bi, but on the other hand I think Carrie would love it. I could see it.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Carrie would have been totally supportive. Leia sexuality has never been stated, so it's entirely possible she could be bisexual.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well it's either that or straight. So not the biggest list. :p

14. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    I think Kalluzeb would be good, but I understand why you might see it as weird, Zeb is a big purple alien. I'd love to see a bisexual canon Leia someday, or even Luke too.

Also to be fair, maybe the reason Sabezra hasn't happened is cause Sabine is gay, not cause she doesn't like Ezra. I can dream anyways :p

Oh and and Everyone else when did I say I anything about being queen? Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant my friends and me joke and laugh about it all the time. We're proud of who we are. Also, I'm not a gay guy, but a gay girl.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sandtrooper956: I'm pretty sure Jedi Knight Fett meant more that Kallus's change of heart was rather abrupt ALREADY without also entering into a romance with someone who was his sworn archenemy - for good reason - not too long ago, not that he objects to big purple aliens finding love.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That. Plus Kallus took part in the Genocide of his people.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Headcanon - I can see Leia swinging both ways, Padme, Anakin and especially Obi-Wan* the same. Luke, curious, open to it, but fairly straight hetro. Ezra, same. Kanan (pre his thing for Green girls with headtails) like a gate in the wind.

My ONLY beef with this is it plays to the 'tough girl = Removed' stereotype, but if she is, (indeed, when she was a bounty hunter - was that her blood sister as her former partner/team mate? I'm not up on Sabine lore) but if she is, more power to the PTB for being (and I LOATH to say it) 'brave enough' to do it.

And just and FYI, I have no issues discussing the sexuality of 'cartoon characters' - as a casual writer, full time dreamer of 'other worlds' I live for such things.

*about 15 years ago, I read a series over on another writer's site that had Obi-Wan and Bail Organa in a relationship. It was my first real encounter with 'Non-Trash Slash'. It was an amazingly written set of stories, and had a HUGE impact on my as a writer, and probably as a person too.

Per decorum, I won't share the link but if anyone is interested, DM me.

18. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Sorry, if it's off topic, but I wonder how a thread about homosexuality in Rebels has 54 pages. I mean I know about this whole Kallus and Zeb thing but never saw something what would let me think in this direction in general in Rebels. I wouldn't mind it anyway but I just wondered for what reason people talk about this topic.

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    DarthBreezy

I think the whole Obi-Wan/Bail thing came from Wild Space? Maybe. I could be wrong.

Also don't use that word to describe lesbian. It's actually on our disallowed words list and that's why is was removed. So just use lesbian instead okay?

We're gonna ship what we ship. :p

We always find something to talk about since most shows are becoming more LGBT friendly now.

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

My sincere apologies - I only used it as it was the only thing I could think of that was 'traditionally stereotypical' (FWIW, I just called them women or in many cases, friends :) )

So funny how things change (in a good way) - 12 years before you even joined the boards, I was doing the unthinkable over in fan fiction - helping pioneer the inclusion of SSR's as acceptable stories/characters here at TF.N... and fighting for every inch of it.

*now get off my lawn!*

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    DarthBreezy

It's alright.

So you're a pioneer then? Thanks for fighting for the inclusion of LGBT characters in stories.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    From what I've seen, people 'ship' Obi-Wan with everyone.

23. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Truth be told, I was the chief rabblerouser - I wrote a story with 3 LGBT characters (two ended up bi-sexual, one was strictly on team girls) to prove that it was VERY possible to write stories that weren't 'SLASH FIC' featuring them. It was a LOT harder than I thought (not skipping the 'slash', but making sure that their sexuality wasn't the story). I loved it, and them (and still do) but I know it is a big reason I'll never 'wear colours' here. ;)

Tagging anakinfansince1983 - she was there!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, I was.

Dammit I miss Schurke.

I don't miss the drama in fan fic from the days when this place was not LGBTQ friendly at all though. Thankfully if that same discussion happened today the inclusion would not even be questioned.

Love, Rabblerouser Sidekick

DarthBreezy likes this.
  25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    He's a shippable Jedi. :p

Oh. Is that story still up here or did it get taken down?