main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah, I feel the same.

And now I'm hoping that dialogue is actually on the show. Can you imagine if Ezra wanted to be Sabine's wingman and help her pick up girls?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I can see him wanting to try...and her telling him that she can manage just fine without his help. [face_laugh]

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Ezra: Hey. I know you don't know me, but my best friend has been admiring you from over there. * Nods at Sabine and winks* and she's really shy for a Mandalorian. But she likes art and explosions, what do you say?"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    I actually think that Sabine is lesbian, her haircut prooves it, Just like tomboy personality

5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That doesn't prove anything. You're just stereotyping.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, discussing the potential of characters being homosexual is one thing, stereotyping based on looks and "tomboy personality" is pretty offensive.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

7. MrRC-Sev

MrRC-Sev Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2014
    i can imagine Ezra hitting on Hera and Sabine, he can be that little boy that always try's to hit on older women but ultimately is rejected all the time, typical disney show.

8. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I think the best way would to introduce a character, not mention his/her sexual orientation and somewhere down the line (if it fits the character) have a scene that maybe states it has such. Maybe they show an old partner or maybe he/she likes one of the main characters or whatever. In any case they shouldn't be introduced as such. There's a video game that actually did this very tastefully called The last of us in which you have no idea the character is gay until they show see a scene that shows the background of said character.

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    This is about Homosexuality, not Ezra hitting on people of the opposite sex. Please stay on topic.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Very good point. If a character is going to be shown as homosexual, it should probably wait until season 2 or so, after we have gotten to know the character and his or her role in the Rebellion.

Introducing a character and immediately presenting that character's sexuality just screams "Hey! Look at the GAY character!" And that's exactly what doesn't need to happen. Too over-the-top.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Indeed. This is the second time tonight we've asked to stay on topic. Further off-topic posts and we just might have to break out the banhammer.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I feel like this is the proper way to do it. I'm going to see someone for their personality and character as a person first before I know their sexuality. So, have it that way. It would be good writing for the team, if done right. Especially if they just made it like everything else and helped it flow with the story. Like a comment or an action they did, like dialogue or something like that.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Worth noting, Obi-Wan told Vader on Mustafar he loved Anakin (granted, a platonic and non-gay love) but Star Wars has never been unnerved on same sex characters expressing love for each other. In the Old Republic Era, Darth Traya tells the Exile she loves her so much she would even destroy the galaxy for her. Even though these relationships are examples of non-homosexual love for the same sex, some quarters of society even find that difficult to bare.

If the mature live-action Star Wars:Underworld ever happens, then we are likely to experience topics of sex because the show is meant to deal with criminals, bounty hunters and gambling cartel. Of interest, too, the wider politics of society were/are included in the underworld story.

But Rebels per say will probably continue the platonic love aspect of personal relationships.

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That's pretty interesting.I never knew people had a hard time dealing with and accepting the fact that Obi-Wan told Anakin he loved him like a brother.Thanks for sharing this DanielUK.

On another note, I feel like even if they did something like say, had characters subtely brush against each other or say they admire someone because of their personality, looks etc. That would be a good way to show homosexual characters in a way that is not so, forward I guess? Like it's still there, but it's not a big deal?

For example, uh let's say Sabine has an attraction to Hera ( Sorry Kera fans) and we see her behaving more shyly then she has been know to do to other characters. Like, being awkward and not knowing what to say around her because she has a crush on her. Could that work do you think?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There are people out there who think that love between anyone that isn't a blood relative must mean sex.

It's stupid, but our culture is a bit obsessed.

16. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    anakinfansince1983

That's really stupid. Why can't people who aren't related have meaningful relationships anymore without it being implied they are having sex? The Ignorance of humanity continues to astound me...

Sorry if that's off topic btw.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm glad to say that before today, I've never heard anyone even suggest anything like this.

It may just be the most asinine thing I've ever read on these boards.

Who in the world could possibly take issue with something like that?

AkashKedavra_93 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't think I even want to meet the people who would take an issue with it to be honest. They'd just give me headaches.

On a side note, on my former post above with Sabine crushing on Hera. I have a bit of dialogue that I couldn't add because of the time out to edit posts.

Ezra: So, why do you look at Captain Hera like that?
    Sabine blushes and focuses on a part of her blaster she is trying to fix.: I don't know what your talking about...
    Ezra glances her to the pilots chair where Hera is sitting and talking to Kanan: Sure. And I don't know what it's like to be alone and feeling horrible about myself. It's okay to have those feelings. You're a good person Sabine.
    Sabine frowns but does not saying anything.
    Ezra swings his legs down from the table: I'll tell her for you. : He moves away from the table and narrowly ducks the blaster being thrown at him. It hit the floor and Sabine can be seen walking out, upset.
    Kanan glances at the scene and looks at Hera: Can I talk to you about something?

So maybe something like this?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I agree, but you'd be surprised at how many people will 'ship two characters who stand in the same room and have reproductive organs.

20. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    People are just strange.

What can you do, right?

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Lock them up for eternity with the Hypno Toad.

I mean...give them hugs. *Shifty Eyes*

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010

[​IMG]

23. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    [face_laugh] That was pretty funny. I wonder how often that's going to happen in Rebels. The Inquisitor and Kanan fight all the time and try to kill each other. They must be in love! *Fanfics start popping up everywhere*

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I was talking in a more general term and not necessarily related to Star Wars.