main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Homosexuality and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Do you think one of the new characters introduced in episode 7, should be implied to like the same sex? If so, who? Or like the other films, should sexual orientation of characters be kept in the straight realm?

2. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I am okay with either.

I actually have no clue how the romances are going to play out if that will even play as large a role this time.

3. Big Jim Slade

Big Jim Slade Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2014
    I always thought C3PO had a thing for R2. In these open minded times, maybe the ST could explore that relationship further with R2 becoming jealous after BB-8 rolls on the scene.

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Who knows? Some fans already ship Poe and General Gleeson. :p

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  5. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I think this can probably just be handled by the "how should the romances play out thread"...

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    No. The Star Wars films barely touch on sexuality at all. They best you may get is something implied or fleshed out in ancillary material.

I guess they could make it a character trait of a supporting character or something. Seems like that is a venue they may explore in a potential television series.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Heterosexual couples kiss in the OT and PT, so homosexual couples could certainly kiss in the ST and beyond. I don't think Star Wars is going to go there anytime soon, but it wouldn't be a problem for me, and likely wouldn't be any more about "sexuality" than what we've already seen in the first two trilogies.

8. Big Jim Slade

Big Jim Slade Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2014

Yes, seems like an issue they might explore. . . in the Anthology series. . .

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Just like the romance option, does it add to or take away from the story? If it fit the story you want to tell, don't care who kisses who. If it takes away from the story or seems forced or added only to make a statement, then no.

10. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I don't believe they're willing to play with homosexuality in mainline episodes, however I think there's a possibility in one of the spinoffs. Mainline episodes are old fashioned much like classic Disney, they already seem to be flipping expectations in TFA quite a lot.

11. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Not exactly, because im not wondering in whether or not romance is going to happen in the film. The audience can learn about a characters sexual orientation without any romance given to said character.

12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I could see them subtly hinting at a homosexual character (as with How to Train Your Dragon 2) but they're not necessary "ready" to commit to it. In other words, don't expect any kissing or outward affection in the films. I would personally love to see one (if it's handled right, of course) but the uproar from morons would be unheard of. Just look at the IMDB page for TFA right now. People are seriously angry that the leads are played by a black man and a white woman.
    It would be amusing to see the ""moral outrage"" it would cause. I can already see the news segments now...

Jobertus and Cyreides like this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

What would be the purpose of that though? Sexual orientation in Star Wars only had relevance in the romances, outside of that it isn't an issue.

Just dropping a line or reference about any characters sexual orientation, just for the sake of it seems, pretty pointless unless two characters are having a romance.

Which two? Who cares.

No you can't...!!!:p

Jobertus and Seeher like this.
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Seems like something better for a tv show where it can be probably developed. Here it be two characters in the background at most....its not going to be the main romance in the story at all and thus would get no development

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, then it wouldn't be relevant. It would feel like a stunt. For instance, Obi-Wan, Tarkin, Piett, Palpatine, Chewie, Yoda, all of them might have been gay, but it was irrelevant to the story, so we never find out. The only characters whose sexuality are known is because it's relevant to the story. That's how it should be presented. It should matter to the story, not just be extraneous information.

16. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Jawa's were gay......did you ever see female Jawa

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Good lord...

Drewton and Dak Oolron like this.
  18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That's true. I'd want to see it fleshed out if they decided to do it. Not just a throwaway "audience-service" line.

19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, and they could take lessons on how to do it properly from the writers of Doctor Who .... !!!

[​IMG]

20. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I dislike this idea that, sexual orientation should only be brought up when it deals with people forming romance. For example, lets say hypothetically speaking Rey is a lesbian. In a conversation between her and Finn, it is mentioned that Finn or men are not her type (maybe Finn develops feelings for her). The implication is that she isn't into men, but the opposite. Her being gay, does not have to follow with a same sex relationship on screen. There can be other reasons for bringing it up, such as the audience learning that nothing is going to happen romantic wise between Rey and Finn, and instead use her orientation to further support a strong non-romantic relationship between the two.

There were also references in the OT to Luke liking woman, even though he was given no romance in the trilogy, the same could be said of a gay character.

21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Sure, there's no reason not to. It won't be any of the leads though. They'll want these character to pop out children for sequels 30 years from now.

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  22. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Why does the sexual preference of anyone need to be brought up in this movie let alone in real life? Sure if it's someone you're thinking of dating that might be something you'd wanna check on first. I just don't get why famous actors, musicians or whatever need to announce it to the world. Is it really anybody's business but your own or the people you are interested in? Drawing attention to that kind of topic in this movie will just create controversy and make alot of people uncomfortable. Not unlike a certain Gungan who for some ruined an otherwise decent movie. Let's not have a repeat of that.:rolleyes:

Sarge, dekaneas, Jobertus and 2 others like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The love triangle between Luke, Leia, and Han was a deliberate plot by Lucas. It was only steered away from in ROTJ, when Lucas decided to make Leia Luke's sister. And even then it was used to create tension between Han and Leia. It was relevant. A platonic relationship between characters of opposite sex doesn't need a reason to exist. If Rey were gay it would be more interesting if Finn was in love with her, so to create dramatic tension. It sets up a bit of tragedy and serves the story better.

24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This thread, like all the similar threads before it, is inappropriate. A person's sexuality is their business and doesn't belong in a Star Wars movie.

Sarge, dekaneas, Jobertus and 2 others like this.
  25. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Your comment is contradictory... and homosexuality is already 'a thing' in one of the upcoming novels if I'm correct so why not at least talk about it in civilized manner.

turnip white likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.