main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Homosexuality and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    When was the last time you saw a gay romantic comedy? The studio is going to take advantage of what the majority is unthinkingly drawn to, not what is correctly concluded as being "no different."

2. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't think I've ever watched a gay romantic comedy. However, I'm a big fan of Spartacus, Black Sails, and Penny Dreadful. All three have main gay/bi characters. Especially Spartacus.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm not sure what your point is, Darth Articulate. Are you actually, as you seem to be, arguing that Star Wars is, or should aspire to be, a focus group driven franchise that at all junctions takes the path of least resistance to avoid potentially upsetting or alienating anyone at all?

If so, that's a quite depressing point of view, and I'm not sure how one could even be a fan of something they believed to be quite so corporate driven - I accept there's a bit of that, just not that it's the be all and end all.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    So,
    A gay character/couple in a STAR WARS movie = A movie about tennis
    A gay character/couple in a STAR WARS movie = A gay romantic comedy
    A gay character/couple in a STAR WARS movie = Syria
    Got it. I had no idea that a gay character/couple in a STAR WARS movie had such a negative affect on the biggest movie franchise in the world.

anakinfansince1983 , Rabs and Skaddix like this.
  5. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    My point is that at this point and time, Disney is trying to recoup it's investment and as such, is likely to minimize financial risk and maximize financial gain. So it's worth considering what sort of effect the inclusion of a subject matter to which only a minority of audience members would be drawn will have on the marketing.

It would be vey difficult for me to pinpoint precisely why I'm a fan of the series, but suffice it to say it has something to do with the story told through the six existing films. My fandom began with an independent film series. It remains to be seen whether it will continue now that the series is no longer such. It is a corporate driven series now, like it or lump it. It will probably be enjoyable the way other corporate-driven series have been, but it's doubtful whether it will carry the same meaning for me now. We shall see.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Where is this assumption that "a majority of audience members" would avoid a movie with homosexual characters coming from?

I think only the blatantly homophobic would actively avoid a movie over a character being gay, and the majority of people are not blatantly homophobic.

Star Wars fan response to Moff Mors was mostly neutral or positive. The only people who said that they would refuse to read Lords of the Sith because of Mors were, again, the blatantly homophobic.

Disney is not taking any great risk here. Hell, even when the company wrote Timon and Pumba into The Lion King, the only people who got upset were the blatant homophobes. The movie still did well, and this was in the 90s when the population included a lot more blatant homophobes.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Timon and Pumba were gay?

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Don't know, don't care, but the Southern Baptist Convention--the only ones who did care--thought so.

9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    PK EDIT: Removed personal attacks

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    Has it been so long since you tossed out the word "homophobe" that you had to manufacture a reason to?[/quote]

i can't even see who you're talking to and that's just fine.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Which is why it wont happen true the US has moved forward faster then I expected quite frankly. But again how about that International Box Office? I dont think Disney is taking any extra risk, I mean we have heard JJ had to fight for John Boyega to even get in the film not for Daisy Ridley (who we all have about the same acting credentials as). So enlight of that color me shocked if we see any gay couple do anything of the "dreaded kissing and lovey dovey", a throwaway line perhaps more then that in this movie highly unlikely.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Where is this assumption that "a majority of audience members" would avoid a movie with homosexual characters coming from?

I think only the blatantly homophobic would actively avoid a movie over a character being gay, and the majority of people are not blatantly homophobic.

Star Wars fan response to Moff Mors was mostly neutral or positive. The only people who said that they would refuse to read Lords of the Sith because of Mors were, again, the blatantly homophobic.

Disney is not taking any great risk here. Hell, even when the company wrote Timon and Pumba into The Lion King, the only people who got upset were the blatant homophobes. The movie still did well, and this was in the 90s when the population included a lot more blatant homophobes.

13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    . Must be coming from you, because no one is making that assumption.

As opposed to inactively avoiding it? There's a difference between avoiding a movie and simply not enjoying one enough for a repeat viewing or to recommend it to others. I don't think simply having a homosexual character in a movie is uninteresting. I think having a homosexual relationship with the same degree of focus as the heterosexual Han and Leia relationship may take the majority of audience members out of the movie, not because they hate homosexuals, but because they can't relate to the relationship.

. Right. Because the only people who lower box office take are those who stubbornly refuse to see the films.

You're absolutely right. I totally forgot about all the Lion King scenes where the sexuality of Timon and Pumba became relevant.

jedijax likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's my point. It is possible to have a homosexual character or a same-sex relationship in Star Wars without the sexuality being "relevant." The only time sexuality has been "relevant" in Star Wars was with Anakin and Padme and...well, we all know how that turned out.

Han and Leia's relationship was only part of the story. In fact, if you asked someone to sum up the plot of ESB or ROTJ in 2-3 sentences, Han and Leia's relationship probably would not even be mentioned, because the overall story did not depend on it at all.

And if a viewer would not go back for a repeat viewing because a homosexual character or a same-sex relationship is a part of the story, not the focus of the overall plot...my point stands.

If I learned that Disney was taking such a cowardly angle, I would probably be the one not going back for a repeat viewing. If a homosexual person or same-sex couple just does not fit into the story, that would be fine; a "b...bu...but we're scared!" Not so much.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Mod Warning: Knock it off with the personal attacks guys. You can either get along and take your bowls to the ban line.

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    . The sexuality of Han and Leia was completely relevant to their relationship and most of the scenes they were in together. All that sexual tension and romance between them would not have been there if one of them was gay. And it's that romance which is partly responsible for the box office success of the films. You don't think legions of heterosexual girls fawning over Han and legions of heterosexual boys dreaming about Leia had anything to do with the numbers?

. I think the astronomical box office take did, though.

. You make it sound like refusal is the only reason people don't have repeat viewings. Not true. Most people only go see a film once. That's the default. Someone might enjoy a film and not go back, simply because there was nothing that brought it to repeat-viewing status. That's a standard level of enjoyment. A higher level of enjoyment is when every part of the movie is so thoroughly engaging, that one can't wait to see it again. If a portion of the movie is not relatable to most of the movie going public, it probably won't reach the latter level for said majority.

This has nothing to do with fear. It has to do with profit. It has to do with what will naturally draw in the most people.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If most people only go see a movie once anyway, how is the very few people who won't back for a repeat viewing because "oh noes! Gay people!" going to make a significant enough difference in the profit margin to keep Disney from including a same-sex couple?

And it would be "Oh noes! Gay people!" that would stop them from going back, not "relatability." I'm straight but have enjoyed many stories about a same-sex couple, including J. Edgar, and have found many heterosexual romances not the least bit relatable or enjoyable. It's how the romance is written, not the genders of the people involved, that makes a love story compelling and interesting.

Assuming that straight people would not relate to same-sex relationships operates under the terrible assumption that same-sex couples are some weird phenomenon that are completely different from opposite relationships. Not true at all.

And I was a pre-teen girl at the time of ROTJ, and have never heard of anyone who went to see the movie because they wanted to see Han and Leia make out. I had a crush on Han myself, and his being gay would not make him any less handsome, nor was the romance the focal point of the movie by any means, as I said.

It was a Star Wars movie, not a Duran Duran concert. I remember the focus being on unmasked Vader and CGI Jabba the Hutt.

18. iluvkoalas

iluvkoalas Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Flip that around too, and you add more fans. :)

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Enough.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Homosexuality exists in the books so if they choose for it to be in the films that is their choice. End of discussion. Because at this point this thread is just serving as a breeding ground for our resident trolls.

TK327, Hoggsquattle, Skaddix and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.