main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Homosexuality - Huh?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CwrnPuppet, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Welcome to the sparkling, fresh, new and wonderful thread for the discussion of homosexuality!

If you've not been a part of our previous threads, we invite you to join us with this spanky new one. People of all walks of life are not only welcomed, but encouraged to join in on the fray. Please be considerate of others, but don't be afraid to voice your opinion, no matter how much it may differ from that of others.

Just a few groundrules that we have agreed to, in conjunction with KnightWriter, our friendly neighborhood mod:

1)Discussions of religion are fine, provided they are on-topic. Verses in the Bible or other religious texts that deal with this issue are welcome, as is general debate about the validity of faith in terms of sexuality; that said, this should not be a forum for the discussion of religion itself.

2) We not only welcome humor in this thread, we thrive on it - Just bear in mind that others have feelings. Try not to belittle their faith or lifestyle. ie, it's fine to say "I believe homosexuality is wrong" or "I do not agree with your religion," but it is not okay to say "You're a sick, twisted freak" or "You're a deluded religious zealot."

Brass tacks - arguing your point is fine, just don't make it personal

3)Epithets such as fag, queer, homo, etc are acceptable as long as they are not directed at others in the thread. In other words, you can say "Why do people have a problem with queers," but not "You're a queer."

4) Try to avoid being redundant. We've covered quite a few topics in the previous two threads and would prefer not to get into the same debates over and over again. This is not to say that already-discussed topics are off-limits, but if you want to discuss them, please take the time to read what we have already said and take it from there. Below are links to some of our key discussions, so that you can read through them for a diving-off point, should you wish to discuss them further:

Racism wrong, Homophobia acceptable? (Original thread, started by Lord Bane)
    Homosexuality: What's up with that? (Second thread, started by Yours Truly
    Discussion of various Bible verses concerning the subject
    Discussion of Paul's letters
    Ruth and more Leviticus fun
    Jonathan and David

That said, let the games begin! If someone would like to take the wheel and give us a topic to start off with, we'll get this puppy rolling.

Locked in favor of new thread.

2. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    So when are you going to open up the world's first gay laundromat?

(inside joke based on a comment in a previous thread...)

Just kidding. :D

Ok, proceed.

3. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    You homophobe! You just WISH you could be gay! You smell! My God can beat up your God! (all in jest, Snowdog had it coming.)

4. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    I think Homesexuality is wrong, and should not be socialy or legaly acceptiable. I base this opinion of my own veiws on the subject, and likely influence of Christan Views when i was a child.

In any case i personally think it is wrong, and something that we need to stop thinking of as acceptiable behavior. That is all.

5. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Okay.

Why do you think it is wrong?

6. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Wow, you were right Crwn. A new thread would make new people more likely to post. I hated when someone would say they think homosexuality is wrong in the old thread, adn they would never post again to explain themselves.

7. Gorin_Zachian

May 13, 2002
    Why? i think it is morraly irreprehensable, and also a sickening practice. This i likely caused by my close following of christian views, though i do not consider myself christian.

I think the homosexuality is morally wrong, as well as sickening. I realise that other people don't agree with my morals, but they are mine, and therefore, these are my views.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Be as you are. I have no problem with homosexuality, any more than I have a problem with any other lifestyle choice. Basically the way I look at things: it's your life, and you're free to do with it what you will -- unless your will involves impinging on someone else's freedom to do as he or she will. So homosexuality is fine, as long as you're not forcing it on people who aren't interested, just as preferring the color green to the color blue is fine, as long as you don't try to force others to think the same way. To those who say it's morally reprehensible: WHY is it so terrible? Sure, it kind of stands in the way of procreation, but y'know, there're quite a few people in the world already. . .so aside from any population issues (which homosexuality can only be *helping* at this point), what's so morally wrong with it?

9. TheScarletBanner

TheScarletBanner Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I think heterosexuality is abnormal and unnatural. God hates HETEROS, man! They're all going to hell.

Okay, seriously.

I'm bi. What, in the opinion of the above poster, does that make me (if anyone says 'greedy,' I'll lose it - that joke is so old)? I still have the ability to reproduce if I desire, however, I'm also attracted to men, and have "sinned" (if that's how you view it) with them. I have a girlfriend, but I have also had a boyfriend (for quite a long time), in the past.

I've felt this way for as long as I can remember. I was first attracted to men around the time I was first attracted to women. It certainly wasn't bred into me - I was educated in a very conservative Christian private school, and come from a similarly conservative Christian family (I was taught at the school that homosexuality was wrong, though my family has always been very tolerant - I got my mouth cleaned out with soap for saying 'queen' (in a derrogatory sense) when I was a kid, and before I knew what it meant).

Am I wrong? Am I a sinner?

- Scarlet.

10. Lyta_Skywalker

Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    I have to ask that you elucidate on your statement that Homosexuality is morally reprehensible and a sickening practice, as I do not understand how loving another human being and sharing your life with that person can be either.

Jaded

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I personally am homophobic.

Why? Partly because I'm a Christian, partly because I think it's just sick. I don't even want to THINK about doing anything with another guy. The natural thing for guys is to be with females. Not other guys.

I also just don't care for the personality that goes along with it. The voice tones, and stuff like that goes along with some gays. I'm saying all are like that, but some are, and I can't stand it.

12. TheScarletBanner

Oct 19, 2002
    I realise that other people don't agree with my morals, but they are mine, and therefore, these are my views.

You've been repeating this like a mantra.

You have the right to hold whatever views you want. But if you want to state such controversial ones in a public forums, the responsibility of defending and explaining comes with the right to state them.

And just because you have a right to them doesn't make them any less stupid.

- Scarlet.

13. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    May I just add that "irreprehensable" is not a word and even if it was, methinks it would mean the opposite of what it was intended to mean...

14. Gorin_Zachian

May 13, 2002
    Like i said, it is my opinion, and i know it is not shared by a great many others, so i will just sit here and accept it, even if i don't like it.

Maybe it has something do do with the fact that i have never been attracted to homosexuality, but i cannot understand how it could happen without some failure of the way the world natuarly works, must just be me.

15. im_posessed

im_posessed Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2002
    Homosexuality just doesn't make sense to me
    From a scientific view, if all were homosexuals, the race would end, there would be no reproduction, which is one of man's basic instincts
    from the view of Christianity, it is condemned. as for those who feel they have been made with homosexual urges/tendancies, i agree that could be the case, but i also feel that God is able to overcome that, if the person is willing
    I DO NOT have anything against homosexuals, i just don't understand it

16. TheScarletBanner

Oct 19, 2002
    From a scientific view, if all were homosexuals, the race would end, there would be no reproduction, which is one of man's basic instincts

That's why there's been a fairly consistent number of homosexuals.

Maybe there's an evolutionary purpose for a a chance, during foetal development, of becoming homo- or bisexual. It prevents population overload, for a start.

And for another point, From a scientific view, as you erronously put it (there's nothing scientific about stating obvious fact), contraception must also be wrong, because if EVERYONE used that, then there'd be no humans either.

And as for the poster with the slight spelling/grammar problem, I'd ask him to at least explain WHY he holds those views instead of just repeating them.

- Scarlet.

17. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Why? Partly because I'm a Christian,

Surprise, surprise.

partly because I think it's just sick.

In what way? Are you refering to anal sex? If so, how is it any sicker than heterosexual anal sex?

I don't even want to THINK about doing anything with another guy.

Erm... So don't think about doing anything with another guy. Saying that can be equated to someone going into a doctor's office, shoving a railroad spike into their arm and saying, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

The natural thing for guys is to be with females. Not other guys.

It's also natural for people to defecate in the woods, hunt for all of their food, die without medical treatment, and be generally naked.

I also just don't care for the personality that goes along with it. The voice tones, and stuff like that goes along with some gays.

The operative word being "some". Here, I have excess clues, so I'll give you one - those are just the most recognizable gay people. The rest of us can walk freely amongst you and you just assume that we're straight.

I'm saying all are like that, but some are, and I can't stand it.

Neither can I. Nor can I stand dippy cheerleader-types. Or those people who end every sentence with a higher vocal tone as if it were a question. Or people who have no sense of personal space. You can't ascbribe the actions of some people to the actions of everyone in a similar group. I have met one non-bimbo cheerleader.

18. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    This "I do not have anything against homosexuals, I just don't understand it" mentality actually makes a hell of lot more sense than what others have said.

You being someone who is not attracted to the same sex, you will never fully be able to understand it, but you can try to understand it a bit more - try this:

Remember puberty? How very suddenly, you just KNEW who you were attracted to? How suddenly, people of the opposite sex seemed attractive and specific members of the opposite sex even moreso? Imagine it being EXACTLY like that, only the attraction was for members of the same sex. That's the gist of it.

19. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    First of all, I think it speaks volumes about our culture when we generally find gratuitious violence to be more acceptable than sex. We are so ashamed of our bodies, of something as simple as a collection of cells carrying out a biological function. Is procreation inherently wrong? Is physical pleasure a sin? These are instincts that have been hard-wired into us for our own survival. Being social animals, we have also developed an advanced system of alliances and relationships, prizing love above all other emotions. Why is it then, that we consider love between two individuals of the same gender to be "sickening"? Why is it alright to experience physical pleasure by stimulation from one body design, but not another? These ideas have always seemed ridiculous to me.
    We are a society so desperately starved for love and affection...

20. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. It's something that people are born with and to expect them to not be gay is rediculous.

I have a question to everyone who is against homosexuality for religious reasons. I know some very devout Christian homosexuals. How does that factor into your view of homosexuality?

21. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    I dunno, but I am rather amused by the words of Aaron Earbooker - "Thank God for my homosexuality: It saved me from the evils of religion."

22. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    You know whats funny?

About 4 months ago, i didn't know ANY homosexuals, and had never met any. Since then, i have met and made friends with 3 homosexuals, been to a gay club on halloween, found out that one of my oldest friends is a homosexual, and found out my work placement boss is a homosexual. Very weird, eh? It's like... as soon as i met that first one, the flood gates opened!

Anyway, how many hetero guys are willing to admit they know what an attractive guy looks like? I've had conversations with SO many guys that insist they have no idea what an attractive guy would even look like. That's rediculous. Hugh Jackman. Hugh Jackman is a hottie. Legolas from LOTR is a hottie!

I think some homophobia stems from the idea of "macho"-ness. Men must be seen to be tough. I've never understood that, and i've never fallen into that.

23. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    What about ME, Kaine? Doesn't your strictly-for-women ass think I'M a hottie? Or are your homosexual leanings limited to mutants and elves?

24. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Sorry Crwn, but Sonic The Hedgehog does absolutely nothing for me! ;)

25. CwrnPuppet

May 19, 2002
    Bwhahahahahahahahaha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.