main
side
curve
  1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels (or any show vs any other show) bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.
  2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2014
    It's an ensemble cast, but she's not the titular Supergirl if that's what you're asking.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    We’ll it’s great that one of the main characters is LGBTQ.

I am on board with outright having a gay/lesbian couple who show there love in a similar way to Kanan and Hera or even more obvious then them.

Jedi Princess and cwustudent like this.
  3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Indeed! I'm not good at subtle. *adjusts crown* :p
    Well done, internet.
    [​IMG]

4. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    Surprising literally no one who knows my posts from the sequel trilogy diversity thread, I read Zeb and Kallus's epilogue scene as being romantic. I'd love for some actual confirmation from Filoni and co., but that's looking less likely and so I've switched my hopes to a more direct confirmation in the inevitable tie-in novel we get about them. It did seem a bit rushed since Zeb and Kallus haven't even spoken since The Honorable Ones but as others have pointed out, there are literal years in the show that we don't see where a relationship could have developed.

I do think they need to take an official stance on whether or not it's a romantic or platonic ending at some point though, because leaving it as a "oooh it might be representation!" type thing is kind of awful - fans have been asking for LGBT rep for years now and having the only onscreen couple just be left up to interpretation is not chill.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Didn't you see Alessander nearly have a heart attack when he thought Zeb was in trouble? [face_love]

cwustudent likes this.
  6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    They've been texting off-screen.
    [​IMG]

MandaloreRex2015 and sharasbeys like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    Spoiler alert it’s a surprise.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    @DarthBreezy how could I forget that? [face_love] trust me, during the entire finale I kept yelling whenever they'd stand next to each other or glance at each other - because I thought that was all we were going to get from them. (I've been a shipper for a while, can't you tell?)

On a more serious note, Filoni finally gave an interview on the Zeb/Kallus shipping phenomenon. On the one hand, he definitely uses the word love to describe how they feel about each other. On the other, he says it's entirely up to interpretation. So I guess this means that we can't celebrate having LGBT characters actually onscreen now, unless Word of God changes at some point. Here's the interview for those who are curious: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-r...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I guess that's sort of what I expected - neither a confirmation or a denial. Given that Dave Filoni very firmly debunked the idea of a Sabine/Ezra relationship in the last Rebels recon, he could have done the same here....but chose not to. Which certainly says something.

But I understand and share your frustrations over the canon limbo.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    MandaloreRex2015 and cwustudent like this.
  10. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2015
    Not every close male relationship has to be something homosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with a gay couple or that I would be opposed in this instance (though a digitigrade purple dog monster and a human is a bit weird for me but whatevs). I think its important to be able to show men (or any other character) being compassionate, caring, or loving towards each other without a romantic subtext. I think part of the problem that Filoni mentions with regards to men afraid of showing their softer side to each other is because any kind of such compassion is often assumed to be due to some kind of latent eroticism. Which is unfortunate. Platonic relationships are important part of life too. Not everything has to be characters shacking up.

MandaloreRex2015 and MrDarth0 like this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Force Ghost star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Unfortunately, it seems that over all Star Wars fans aren't exactly.... 'enlightened to subtlety' - Seriously, there are people out there convinced that Kanan and Hera were platonic friends (until that kiss) - Hell, some are even convinced that Jacen may be either adopted or some form of genetic manipulation.

Sex between consenting adults of the opposite gender is hard enough for them to grasp - Love and sex between the same gender? It makes their heads explode....

12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2014
    You say this as if we have never seen a platonic relationship in Star Wars before.

13. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm happy they left Zeb and Kallus's relationship somewhat ambiguous so viewers can interpret it whichever way they like....some can see it as the ultimate forgiveness and redemption for Kallus who finds a home with the very people he almost destroyed....others can see a happy romantic future for Zeb and Kallus.... both interpretations make me very happy. :)

MrDarth0 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.