main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I know I can't wait until we get our first bisexual, albino, Mexican, dwarf senator with a fetish for dressing in women's clothes. That's gonna be a big load off my mind and a big check on my checklist.

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I also find checklist candidates silly and it has nothing to do with my being straight, white, or male. Rather that making a big deal about it cheapens their accomplishment, as if they're so alien as to let their genetics affect how they'll vote. No, they'll vote in the same way any other congressperson would: by how much the lobbyists pay them.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Here's an actual article on it

There is a part of me that would like to open the consideration that the Christian groups in the US backing/pushing this are basically supporting terrorism in the same way that any other group that gets involved with a terrorism in another country is (presuming the stories that they're playing a role in this happening are true). Creating a system to instill fear by, apparently, allowing for the killing of people just for being homosexual. Although I feel that's very much a knee-jerk response, but it seems very hard to separate the methods of killing people to scare them into different behavior.

5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's appalling that supporters of the Bill cite "protection of children" as one of the reasons for the law. This from a country which is notorious for child slavery and child labour.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
  7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Maybe that's how they're protecting children. See, homosexuals are seen as weak and inferior. They want their child laborerers and slaves strong.

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm sorry, you must have mistaken this with one of those "other" forums around here.-Darth Boba

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Sarcasm detector broken?

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The Supreme Court ruling wouldn't have any effect on Washington State's laws no matter which way it goes.

Consider the "worst case" scenario for supporters of SSM: If Proposition 8 is upheld, it wouldn't make any difference in Washington, because it's a California-only amendment. The question there is whether the 14th Amendment prohibits states from defining marriage in the traditional manner (one man, one woman), but that isn't the same thing as saying that any other definition is invalid nationwide. It only says it is not required, not that it is forbidden. And if DOMA is completely upheld, then nothing changes from how it is today, because it is still currently in effect.

12. Mr Jewjitsu

Mr Jewjitsu Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2012
    Seriously, is homosexuality legal Afghanistan? Considering their cultural habits it would not suprise me.

13. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The same-sex marriage vote is nearly upon us in the UK. Hoping that it'll pass of course. Something good needs to come from David Cameron's term...

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It'll pass. It's expected to be the biggest upset to date within the conservative party,120 MPs are expected to vote against, but labour and the lib dems will probably push it through Parliament. Though recent comments by Lord Carey make it sound like any change in the law could get struck down in the house of lords.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Aye, getting it through the Lords will be a bloody nightmare. Is the Lib Dem and Labour vote whipped? I was under the impression it wasn't, but now seeing stuff on Twitter that indicates that it is.

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the Lib Dem vote has been whipped, if only because they can claim the legalization of same sex marriages as a result of them being in the coalition, which would be a handy debate point in 2015. When it comes to Labour though I honestly have no idea.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As Kimball said, and I said before, in the worst-case scenario the result is the status quo.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I still think the grounds are there to blow DOMA out of the water. I could very well see a decision that allows the states to choose what they'll issues marriage licenses for, while at the same time getting rid of the federal decision to not recognize them or, more importantly imo, let states choose to ignore the marriages of other states.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    If Republicans want small government, getting it out of people's personal lives is the appropriate venue to do so in.

That's really all I have to say in regards to that.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not necessarily. The SC approving of same-sex marriage bans and DOMA would set a precedent that other Federal courts would pretty much have to follow, and that far reduces the chances of challenges to such laws making it. And obviously they're rather unlikely to overrule themselves. See: Plessy v. Ferguson. The SC affirming Jim Crow and "separate but equal"-- the status quo at the time in many states-- helped stall nationwide de jure civil rights for 50 years. Of course, all three branches of the Federal government were complicit, and Jim Crow is not the same thing. I'm just saying that what the Supreme Court says is always important.

23. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Except it wouldn't change things from where they are now. States that already have same-sex marriage in effect won't lose it, and nothing will stop other states from implementing it through legislative means.

All it would do is prevent lower courts from mandating same-sex marriage through reinterpreting the Constitution to require it. That's it.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It would entrench the status quo. Many states with same-sex marriage bans have constitutional amendments, so that already ties the hands of the state courts. Some states are sure to follow with legislative and voter action in the coming years, but it will probably take decades for that to happen in every state, if ever. Action by the Supreme Court would expedite the process tremendously (yes, I know you would jump for joy if they decided to take that course).

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Russia seems to be taking steps backward...