main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I can see it now: A man and his wife are just mewly married. They move into a nice big house with a white picket fence, a nice car, and plenty of money. Their beliefs are somewhere between Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. Next door are two men, now they might be gay and they might not be. And then that fateful day arrives: they see their two make neighbors kissing and not just kissing, but married and kissing and gay!. Oh, it's revolting. The husband, not sure if he should be merely disgusted or murdering them goes upstairs, beats his wife, then files for a divorce saying it was a meaningless thing now that two ***s are married and kissing in front of them.

And thus gay marriage has ruined another happy marriage. And it's real, folks. It's happening all across the US. Dun dun duuuun!

Ahem...but yeah, I'm pretty sure that thought (sans spousal abuse) is what goes through their heads every day.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly, you're probably right.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    [​IMG]

It's my hope that with such a large majority of MPs voting in favour and with it being supported by the majority of the public they'll have little choice but to pass it.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    well done, UK.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well -- looks like Cameron pulled off what Hollande couldn't.

Ender_Sai and solojones like this.
  7. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Credit to Cameron for pushing for it whilst the majority of his party remain bigoted.

V-2 likes this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's interesting to me that with the free vote (no order from party whips) that the Tories basically spilt 50-50 on this one. Shows what the tide definitely is when only have the conservatives are clutching to the old ways. Well done, Cameron.

Now this'll be a defining moment for England and Wales seeing if the House of Lords (which has come so close to becoming an elected body recently before being pushed back on by some conservatives last summer) decides to hold this up.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Gay Marriage vote in France is set for next week, and the first bit of the bill passed overwhelmingly within the last few days. I wouldn't rule out France yet.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If the House of Lords puts up a strong opposition to this, with the overwhelming majority in that first vote, it could be another nail in the House of Lords' coffin.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Cameron of course decided it was better to be in the US talking to the Gaffinator Joe Biden than it was to be in Parliament voting on a major bill. Not facing his own party rebels is something he can only delay for so long.

I'm not sure how the Lords will deal with it, many seem like the old and bigoted type but there are sensible members there also. Plus no church is being forced into having to marry a same-sex couple if they don't want to which I'm sure will be a big plus in getting the bill passed.

Can't Cameron push it through anyway even if HOL reject it?

12. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You know since NY was one of the first states to allow it, after living in the state for a while it doesn't really matter anymore. It was the right choice and now they live their lives. Of course they still have to pay our wonderful NY taxes. I owe 100 bucks to the state after doing my taxes.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll just point out that currently, the only elected members of the House of Peers are, in fact, the hereditary peers.

Just sayin'. Blame the government appointees (and Tony Blair) if the Peers smash the bill. :p

And yes, Richie, as far as I know the Peers can only delay bills now, they can't stop them.

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    JAY does this put any kinks in the nobility/monarchy? If the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have a daughter and she marries a lady WHAT WILL HER WIFE'S TITLE BE when she becomes Queen?

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    dont worry, by then the royals will long have been exiled/executed

V-2 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    England's still there, so Jesus must be ok with gay marriage? Can the rest of the world now follow the UK's lead? :p

V-2, Alpha-Red and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It can sometimes take up to sixty days for a fire & brimstone strike to be authorized. We'll see where England is in April. (in flames)

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Being funny. It's not that easy. - SuperWatto

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually, they had a bill drawn up about that as well. I don't know if it's going to a vote or not, though.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not to worry. Her title will still be a relic of the middle ages.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I imagine it would be Queen Consort.....

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    People keep answering this question without giving me the reason WHY they think it would be one or the other. Next someone is going to come in and say "I imagine it would be Princess......" and then we'll be back at square one, but thanks for your super valuable input.

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I tried to answer but you shooed me away.