main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    You gave me an answer that was based on the premise that I didn't know how to use wikipedia myself! I did look at titling conventions on wikipedia and there's no correct answer there because it hasn't happened yet. That's why I was hoping Jay or Jenn would give me an educated (beyond 'I looked on Wikipedia') response.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The spouse of the monarch is usually titled Duke or Duchess. I don't see why it would be different for gays.

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    That's news to me, I thought the wife generally stopped being Duchess and became Queen Consort after her husband stopped being Duke.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You mean like Queen Consort Elizabeth or Prince Albert?

Edit: That was to V-2.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  5. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    You mean the Queen Mother, formerly the Duchess of York, and Prince Albert the Duke of Saxony?

Like Prince Phillip is the Duke of Edinburgh. He's royal consort by virtue of being married to the queen, obviously. The prince of Wales' wife is the Duchess of Cornwall, his son and daughter-in-law are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, etc etc.

I don't see why the tradition would break just for homosexuals. Not sure what the relevance is either. :)

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Stop hating because England and the Monarch are better than America and it's... whatever you have.

7. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd much rather we elected a head of state to do the monarch's job. The monarch could still visit schools and factories and shake hands with awestruck monarchists if that's how they wanted to spend their time, but not on my money.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes everyone has tons of titles, but being married to a monarch means they get a Prince (if marrying a queen) or Queen (if marrying a king), as far as I'm aware. The debate arises over what would happen to a female spouse of a female monarch is a queen consort or a princess consort. I think. And these would be superior to the ducal or any other titles they may also have. That's why he's Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, and not Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Fascinating. I doubt it would cause much of a constitutional crisis, but I see what you're getting at.

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Please make sure your post consists of more than paste work, thanks.
    And while you're at it, make sure it's on topic. - Your Friendly Senate Mod

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Because clearly royal titles have a lot to do with homosexuality.

V-2 likes this.
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Indeed.

Everybody, please stick to the subject. Thank you.

V-2 likes this.
  13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    A CofE priest I know who's pro-women bishops, pro-gay clergy, and generally about as progressive as a CofE priest can be, opposes gay marriage because, "the government doesn't have the right to change the definition of a word".

To me this seems like neurotic pedantry to justify an underlying bigotry. Lots of words have had their meanings changed over time. The word marriage itself does not have one singular meaning anyway.

His solution is to say that nobody should have marriage and we should all have civil partnerships, which to me seems like the reaction of a spoiled child refusing to share his football because his his side isn't winning.

I agree with the sentiments recently expressed by Will Self on Question Time; what is the point in having a state religion if the state has no say in policy? I'd add that the CofE was specifically founded because the state disagreed with the marriage policies of the catholic church, so it seems a little silly to start moaning about it now.

14. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Summer Dreamer likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It works!

Good to see 75 Republican leaders supporting gay marriage.

The Justice Department is also making a legal case to the Supreme Court saying, basically, that they should legalize same-sex marriage nationwide:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/obama-gay-marriage_n_2783912.html

V-2 likes this.
  16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    they don't support crap, they want votes.. Theyre as ignorant as they've always been.. This is just a gameplay change for them. Not a true mental philosophical change on their part...

They do not deserve even 1 second of adulation.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah, everybody stop adulating the Republicans!

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If you're talking about the Republicans, most of them are retired from office and no longer seeking office.

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    oh well that's why theyre for it, the neo cons cant pander to their religious nut jobs living 200 years in the past if they came out in favor of this.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Reminder as this is a Senate-tagged thread to keep this to the topic at hand - Lowbacca_1977

21. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    If marriage ever meant anything, we have certainly forgot it. It's just an empty tradition nowadays.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  23. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    lol how principled of him...

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So... people are never allowed to have a change of heart? Never allowed to have their opinions evolve over time?

JackG, anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  25. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    They're allowed to, but there ought to be a better reason than "this is for my son."