Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    Last edited by wannasee, Mar 19, 2013
  2. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    oh no one less church in north carolina for "straights" to get married in! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE STRAIGHTS?!
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Mar 19, 2013
  3. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    You don't understand. This is a slippery slope. Pretty soon straight people won't be able to marry anywhere in North Carolina. Next thing that will happen will be that some ***hole in the General Assembly will propose a constitutional amendment banning straight marriage and it will pass.

Oh, wait...
  4. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    epic, Jedi Merkurian, JackG and 4 others like this.
  5. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    This is good and all, but we're forgetting that gay marriage opponents are impervious to fact.
    Last edited by shinjo_jedi, Mar 21, 2013
  6. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    I think they're hoping it's included in the gay marriage court arguments next week.
  7. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    That would be nice. Of course we've known it all along, but scientific data may appeal to Kennedy moreso than emotion.
  8. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Many gay marriage opponents assume that the American Academy of Pediatrics is a "liberal organization" or some **** like that and that's it's all a conspiracy by Satan.

Or something.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. V-2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe they confuse them with NAMBLA.
    Sorry.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. armisto Jedi Youngling

Well, some nation already supports same sex marriage and your right it has more effects on people. I have nothing against them but I'm not a pro either. Besides, same sex marriage is a matter of the states, and the unions stay unrecognized on a federal level. This means that, although gay couples may derive some marriage-related tax breaks on the state level, they will not on the subject of their federal income tax. However, the "second parent adoption credit" actually gives an advantage to gay married couples over heterosexual ones.
  11. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    People getting bent out of shape about "political expediency" would do well to remember that for the most part, we're talking about people from the representative branch of government. Of course their views will "evolve" in keeping with the evolution of the views of their constituencies, that's exactly how our government is supposed to work.
  12. darth-calvin Force Ghost

star 1
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Things sure have changed a lot in ten years, when it was first really being discussed here on the JC.
  14. darth-calvin Force Ghost

star 1
    Yes it has! Some of the arguments were down right nasty. Its nice to see things more civilized and people seem to have accepted the fact of ssm.
  15. Souderwan Chosen One

star 6
    I don't think you're being fair here. I don't think anyone would have any problem with a politician saying "My personal beliefs are X, but my constituents clearly demand Y and as their legal representative, that is how I will vote in office" (Dear God, please oh, please give me such a politician!). What politicians in fact do is say "My personal beliefs are Y and that's how I vote. No, they were never X. Well...oh...so you have me on record saying Y once? Yeah..about that...I've...evolved since then. Oh look! That other politician! He believes X! Can you believe that guy? He claimed he believed in W once! Flip flopper!!!"

It is the blatantly dishonest nature of their wanton political maneuverings that is offensive, not the fact that they properly read political tea leaves.
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    If the United Methodist Church ever again wants to be relevant in American religious life, this is probably just the kinds of things its churches need to continue doing. American progressives need to reclaim true Christianity from the religious Right.
    Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Ah yes. That was the time period in which 3/4 of the posts were along the lines of "Teh gayz can't get married because they can't reproduce!" and all arguments about a promise to reproduce not being included in a marriage license application and about post-menopausal couples and infertile couples not being denied marriage licenses, fell on deaf ears.

This is a much better time.
  18. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Has the discourse really changed in ten years, or have almost all the hardcore religious right/Westboro Baptist sympathizer types been driven away?
  19. V-2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm comfortable with either scenario.
  20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The terms of the discussion have changed at a fundamental level, Nothing shows that better than the difference between 2004 and 2012, when gay rights went from boosting Republicans to helping Democrats. Prop 8 squeaked by in 2008, and it would get crushed if the same initiative were attempted today. You better believe John Roberts is well aware of that last fact in particular.
    Last edited by KnightWriter, Mar 25, 2013
    Juliet316 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  21. wannasee Force Ghost

star 4
    The discourse has changed in that liberals can now insult, accuse, and degrade conservatives with impunity; this bullying is what has quieted conservatives.
    TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  22. darth-calvin Force Ghost

star 1
    I would like to see some evidence of that. The Fox News study suggests the exact opposite
    Juliet316 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    darth-calvin likes this.
  24. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    While you & I would love that, we'll just say I'm not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon...
    Souderwan likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    "...of the people by the people..." is just a pleasant sounding ideal. Kinda like how an oath that I hold close to my heart ensures that my mail will be delivered... in idealistic defiance of a hurricane.