main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    are you saying we shouldn't ask why? Because if you are, that doesn't seem like the right attitude to have IMO...

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Do you mean to say that no one in this thread called allowing same-sex marriage to be "full marriage equality"? Because that isn't true, that was said before he created that argument. And the issue isn't that, when pressed, people have said they would be allowing of that, but that the term "full marriage equality" is used when it's certainly not talking about expanding marriage to anyone beyond same-sex couples. The nature of it's use has been exclusionary in that sense, in the same way that if there were 10 people at a birthday party, 5 of them had cake, and then I brought more cake so 3 more people could have cake and those of us with cake talked about how nice it was that everyone had an equal amount of cake now. Then, when one of the other people were to ask why 2 people didn't cake, we conceded they should get some cake then that still is that when we talked about equal cake, it was disingenuous. Irrespective of his other points, that has still very much been present, with the nomenclature of talking about it as though this represents equality, and not just, not as unequal as it currently is.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You did ask why, and several of us answered.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    No, I'm suggesting that the line of questioning implies that the prejudice is justified by tradition, and I'm pointing out that the same rhetoric is favoured by a high profile holocaust denier.

5. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I was talking to V-2.

Yes, but a few of you were reluctant to answer (you, shinjo, and V-2, depending on how you want to read her post).

Why so reluctant to examine the issue?

I'm not familiar with that guy, but I think "why" is a fair question to ask. You can answer however you like...

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think it's just as easy to point out that an appeal to tradition is considered a fallacy, as it presumes it was gotten right in the past, and those reasons would hold true for today, without bringing the Holocaust into this.
    If there's a good reason for it, then that reason should be able to be cited in a way that addresses the current situation, not what it was like historically. I've yet to hear any reason why same-sex unions should be differentiated from opposite-sex marriages by not being called marriages as well.

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  7. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    The argument is that marriage has always been between a man and a woman. If you want to have a relationship between two men or two women, you use a different word to describe that relationship.

Maybe it's not convincing to you, but it is a reasonable argument.

8. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm not a she, by the way.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What are you talking about? Nobody has been reluctant to examine the issue in this thread that I've seen. We've just been reluctant to take an appeal to "tradition" and a related arbitrary ban on marriage for certain groups of people seriously.

I'm not sure how "use a different word" is a reasonable argument when your best backup is "it's always been that way." And no, I don't care why it's been that way, given the acceptance of bigotry in the past.

10. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    But marriage isn't always between one man and one woman so it's not entirely reasonable.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Obviously I don't know what you're referencing, otherwise I wouldn't have said what I said. Would you be more specific?

I use my pronouns interchangeably to show how evolved i am with regard to gender issues.

V-2 likes this.
  12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    wannasee
    I'm referring to polygamy.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Referring to another poster by a gender-specific pronoun which doesn't apply to him is " evolved"? Are you ****ing kidding me? Or are you just trolling?

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm faceplaming over that one.

15. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Reluctant to answer what?

16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    This thread could use some Henry.

[​IMG]

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They seem to be using the argument now that straight people will marry someone of the same sex just for the benefits, and that is somehow taking advantage of the system.

LOL, what a dumbass this woman is. If that were really her concern, she'd check all straight married people to make sure that they are really sexually attracted to each other/in love/whatever the hell the requirement is supposed to be for marriage.

Link

18. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Why hasn’t SSM been condoned in any other religion…off the top of my head, all religions have a vested interest in spreading their doctrine (in a cooperative, manageable manner) so that they are the biggest and strongest and richest. Exclusively homosexual relationships in the past didn’t accomplish this so of course they didn’t promote it. However, that is a fear based, power-hungry tenet and has never meant it is right.

Condemnation of exclusively homosexual behavior has likely been around since humans became consciously aware of their vulnerable existence (and perhaps instinctually before that) because of the need for safety in numbers. There is no reason for that anymore in today’s society, which is probably why exclusive homosexual behavior is increasingly accepted. (Perhaps the Catholic church isn’t happy about it because it’s getting more and more expensive to live in their city of gold with an endless supply of Prada shoes. ;) )

I would argue that this is why religion is always evolving on its positions (such as why it is okay to wear blended fabrics now without going to hell). It holds them until it comes to a tipping point where their membership will be dramatically decreased then it changes to accommodate the majority in order to stay relevant. If 90% of their followers decide SSM is alright, you can bet your a** they are going to flip flop on the issue.

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  19. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    “Lord, I’m going to get in trouble over this, but it is not natural for two women or two men to be married,” Everhart said. “If it was natural, they would have the equipment to have a sexual relationship.”

This is my favorite part. So apparently gays and lesbians aren't actually having sexual relationships.

And, of course, straight people have never abused the institution of marriage (noeyerollingemoticonbigenoughtoexpresssuchidiocy)

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As I said in the Derp thread...having sex with someone who is that uptight, isn't natural.

Apparently she thinks missionary position is all there is.

Juliet316 and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  21. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012

Don't forget the myriad of hard-fought battles over maintaining the astronomical fact that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

Edit: A quote from the article:

“You may be as straight as an arrow, and you may have a friend that is as straight as an arrow,” Everhart said. “Say you had a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health plan. I mean, what would prohibit you from saying that you’re gay, and y’all get married and still live as separate, but you get all the benefits? I just see so much abuse in this it’s unreal. I believe a husband and a wife should be a man and a woman, the benefits should be for a man and a woman. There is no way that this is about equality. To me, it’s all about a free ride.”

Imagine a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health care plan.

I'm trying.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I never understood the reasoning behind blended fabrics. Why was that sinful? Seems idiotic to me, to be honest.

V-2 likes this.
  23. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Probably because it led to unnatural fabulousness.

V-2 and darth-calvin like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And fabulousness is evil.

darth-calvin and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  25. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    And gay.

It's all so clear to me now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.