main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    OMG, the slippery slope of blended fabrics finally came to fruition with the arrival of drag queens.

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's honestly one reason I moved away from Christianity, other than the larger reason, which is that I realized that it didn't make a damn bit of sense.

The whole arbitrary self-denial bull**** .

**** that, life is too short.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

It's called the health care plan for the politicians - if only WE had the same plan as Congress.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Senator Bob Casey of Pennsylvania now support Gay Marriage.

How many Democratic Senators don't support it now, 8? And to think, 10 years ago, I don't think any supported it.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe because merchants would rip people off by mixing lesser fabrics with more expensive ones? It's not like synthetics existed. I dunno, I always heard that pork and shellfish were forbidden originally because they were more likely to make people sick. More of Leviticus would certainly make sense if there were practical/secular reasoning behind it.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Opposition to marriage equality would make more sense if there were practical/secular reasoning behind it.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know. Secular reasons can be just as dumb as religious ones.

PRENNTACULAR and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Actually they can't.

V-2 likes this.
  9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    These days, most legitimate scholars and theologians will tell you that the impetus for Leviticus is almost entirely practical/secular, like Hammurabi's code for Jews. It's couched in Jewish mythology and whatnot because that's how they understood the world, but consensus is pretty much that it was way more meant for practicality and culture-building than theology or something.

Granted, the first place I heard that was Bible college. So it should be taken with a grain of salt.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    You can have gay sex in the missionary position. ;)

darth-calvin likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mark Kirk of Illinois becomes the 2nd Republican Senator to support Same-Sex Marriage:
    http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...d-senate-republican-to-back-same-sex-marriage

Tom Carper of Delaware also now supports Same-Sex Marriage, as of this morning too.

12. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    That leaves 50 Senators, I believe, that openly support it.

GOP Rep. Salmon from Arizona refuses to support gay marriage, he announced, despite his son being openly gay. What a father. [face_plain]

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Plus Joe Biden, who you could say started this avalanche. ;) I wonder if the Senate will pass a symbolic resolution, supporting same-sex marriage? Or at least repeal what's left of DOMA after the Supreme Court has its say in June.

14. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I'd love to see it, except it's unlikely to pass. In 2013, the Senate now needs 60 votes rather than 50 ;)

That leaves 6 Democrats that aren't openly for it. Susan Collins will be the next Republican. Her seat is as safe as they come which gives her cover (although it's amazing that opposing it may actually hurt her in Maine now). She also was the primary Republican sponsor, I believe, of DADT repeal. When asked just the other day where she stands on it, she gave the typical ambiguous politician answer.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    While not dealing directly with politics, Magic Johnson's son has come out of the closet. Magic says he supports his son.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Senator Nelson of Florida now supports Same-Sex Marriage

That leaves 6 Democratic Senators who don't...
    1. Tim Johnson of South Dakota (who's retiring in a year, but his son might run for his seat)
    2. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana (up for re-election in a year)
    3. Mark Pryor of Arkansas (up for re-election in a year)
    4. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota (just elected)
    5. Joe Donnelly of Indiana (just elected)
    6. Joe Manchin of West Virginia

Who else is likely?

Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska probably should soon... and maybe there's a few more unexpected Republican Senators like Portman and Kirk too. Hopefully another wave starts in the House and with the Governors too.

17. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I like how nobody explains why they were against gay marriage in the first place.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Because they now think those views were wrong...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Are you still harping on about this?
    Folk devils and moral panic were (and largely remain) effective means of social control. Religion excels at creating moral panic within its ranks, which in our past included practically everybody.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, that's 51 Senators now who support gay marriage.

Only 16 Senators supported gay marriage in 2010.

Only 8 Senators supported gay marriage in 2008.

What changed? Did the number of people who know gay people just reach critical mass or something?

21. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    People have always known gay people. That isn't what has changed.

I would guess that media influence has a lot to do with it.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Known people who are openly gay, people who are their relatives and friends and neighbors and coworkers...

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus, maybe they realise that, unlike what some radio show hosts and religious leaders believe, North Korea isn't going to suddenly start nuking us tomorrow because the US might suddenly legalize gay marriage. They might nuke us for other things, but I doubt gay marriage is high on the list.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Yes, people have always known people who were openly gay. They used to reject them.

This leads me to think that "knowing someone who is gay" isn't what has changed people's opinions.

25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Maybe it's knowing now that others know people who are gay too, and it's not so bad.