Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Neither the legislature nor the electorate voted the law out of existence, so it wasn't repealed. Gov. Schwarzenegger and then-Attorney General Jerry Brown immediately disavowed Proposition 8 and refused to defend it in court; that didn't change the fact that the majority of Californians who went to the polls voted for it. I guess it's an uncomfortable truth that, despite the momentum it's been gaining in recent years, very few states have allowed SSM through popular vote. But why bother denying it?
    Last edited by Darth Guy, May 21, 2014
  2. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Republican governor refused to appeal precisely because a majority of Pennsylvanians favor legalizing same sex marriage, according to the article, so dismantling it as a potential campaign issue seemed like a good idea.
  3. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Multiple states didn't repeal their anti-abortion laws either, but Roe v Wade made them invalid.

Same goes here.

This is a smart move by Corbett. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and I can tell you he's deeply unpopular in this part of the state. His base is in the conservative "T", which covers a lot of ground, but has substantially fewer people than Philadelphia and Pittsburg, both are which are solidly Democratic (although comprised of different segments of the Democratic base).

Additionally, Tom Wolf, whom Corbett fears the most come November, just won the primary. It's not going to be a good year for Democrats nationally, but PA is probably their best chance to flip a governorship, and the Democratic ticket just got a whole lot stronger.

In terms of gay marriage, other than in the reddest states, the trendline is clear. The GOP doubles down on this at their own peril, especially come 2016.

Then again, if they don't get their act together on immigration reform, the next Presidential election won't be much of a contest.

Peace,

V-03
    Last edited by Vaderize03, May 21, 2014
  4. lovelikewinter Jedi Master

star 1
    The last thing I want is a bunch of ignorant hicks voting on my civil rights. The government should allow gay marriage. If your particular religion doesn't want it- fine. But religion should not control the government.
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Yay for Wisconsin anyway.

The Texas GOP needs reparative therapy for those who want to restore IQ points.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    At this point, restoring the Texas GOP's brain cells seems about as likely as turning a gay person straight.
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  9. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    alabama lets gay people have sex now
  10. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    In North Carolina, General Assembly-backed SBI agents have stopped breaking into people's homes, stealing their marriage licenses from other states and leaving poster-sized copies of Leviticus 20:13 .
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    No. But nothing would surprise me anymore.
  13. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  14. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Obama's advances on transgender rights.
  15. Hank Hill Jedi Master

star 1
    Texas and it's dumb#ss laws.
    UNLIMITED POWER likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Ghost likes this.
  17. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The hold is still in place on that ruling until either the full 10th circut hears it or the Supreme court does.

Edit: *Sees @Hank Hill's post* Dammit Texas!...
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jun 25, 2014
    Hank Hill likes this.
  18. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    So, random bump because a thought came to my head... So I don't know the demographics of the JC but there's a genre of music called trap music (Its amazing) and its kind of a subgenre of hiphop/rap. There's a trap music rapper by the name of Young Thug that people are seriously thinking might be gay, but so far everyone in the rap game.... seems to be firmly behind him. People still listen to his music and at the same time know he's gay. I;m black and there's a big stigma in the black community towards gay black men, so this response really has surprised me.

Thoughts?
  19. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I'm sorry, but your ideas kinds of ran on together at the end there. Are you saying that people would stop listening to his music because he's gay? Why would that matter?
  20. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Thoughts about what? What are you asking?
    Last edited by harpua, Jul 2, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. blubeast1237 Force Ghost

star 5
    Gay is still taboo, especially for certain sects of the population. So yea, people would stop listening to his music. Frank Ocean is an apparent bisexual R&B artist and, no joke, people have stopped listening to him, especially black males, when he came out.
  22. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    So... what did you want our thoughts on, people not listening to gay artists? If so, I think people who don't listen to gay artists, because of their orientation, are ignorant morons.
  23. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I was going to say "sounds like a personal problem to me" as far as people who would not listen to artist's music due to sexual orientation but, yeah, that covers it.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    And let's be honest, if God didn't like gay people, he'd send a plague to wipe them out.

Last edited by Ender Sai, Jul 2, 2014
    Juliet316 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Guys, he's not asking for our opinion on listening to music by gay people.

He's asking for our opinions about the reaction of the genre's fan base to the fact that he's gay. Should it be interpreted as a sign of growing acceptance of homosexuality within the subculture? Is it just tokenism to avoid popular scrutiny? Is this simply a case of exceptionalism trumping otherwise enormous prejudice? Will it trigger a backlash that will make things even more intolerant, if only temporarily? Etc

That's a perfectly legitimate topic to discuss. We had a similar discussion when Iowa became the first state to legalize gay marriage. And a surprising range of reactions all played out simultaneously there, too. I don't see what's silly here.
    Last edited by Jabba-wocky, Jul 2, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 and Rogue_Ten like this.