main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

chiggity-check b-4 u riggity-wreck

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm willing to bet it'll be Louisiana's same - sex marriage ban that goes up before the court, given that the Federal judge there upheld the ban, and the asinine reasoning he gave behind it.

3. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Florida's was blocked by Pam Bondi, an expert on marriage considering she's on her third.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder which one of her marriages was most sacred and needed the most protection from homosexuals ruining it.

Drac39, Jedi Merkurian , Debo and 2 others like this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    how can she be on her third marriage? she's like 12 years old

[​IMG]

official photo of her in the mickey mouse club as attorney general of the great state of Flo Rida

Drac39 and Debo like this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...lcoming_gays_into_the_life_of_the_Church.html

[face_waiting]

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

To be expected-- the people voting on it were almost entirely installed by extremely conservative regimes. Things have been set in motion, and future discussion of the kind that happened won't be as big a deal. It will take more time-- much more than it should, but fundamental change is inevitable.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    well yeah, as im fond of reminding people, religions change like any other element of culture, they just change really slowly, and catholicism is even less responsive than some other religions. like, the mormons are probably going to beat catholics to this one, not gonna lie

in 30076 AD Space Pope Arcturus CXXII will declare to the remaining 23 members of Holy Interstellar Mother Church that gay people are "probably not all that bad"

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I really hope they aren't still around by then :p

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In two hundred years, Earth religions will be virtually gone. Star Trek predicts the future, folks!

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

im 99% certain humans will not exist that long. that sentence was originally gonna be a warhammer 40k microparody but i got lazy

"In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!" ~Space Anti-Pope Urban LVI The Despoiler, Betrayer of the Lamb, offering communion

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was tempted to post my reply in the Pope-watch thread because I think the focus is a bit too zeroed in on homosexuality, the synod also addressed issues like birth control, cohabitation, and divorce.

KW hit the nail on the head, the synod wasn't going to completely overturn decades and centuries of dogma on these issues in one fell swoop. Like KW said, too many of the Bishops and Cardinals were appointed by JPII, who picked almost exclusively social conservatives (how they ever voted for Francis is beyond me). The more important thing, I think, is the openness with which the synod was conducted, and the inclusion of so many lay voices. There's a German expression, "Der Weg ist das Ziel", in English "The way/path is the goal", and I think that really applies here. More than anything, I hope Francis has a long papacy, ideally as long aas JPII's, so that he can set about bringing in more progressive cardinals and bishops.

Also, someone brought up Francis's campaigning against gay marriage in Argentina. As KW said, I think he's had a change of heart in the interim ("Who am I to judge"). I'll be blunt, I have. If you had asked me 10-15 years ago, I would have said flat out that I was against it. I'm certainly not any longer. The change is mainly due to being around gay men and women far more. I would imagine Francis, who (unlike so many others in the Church hierarchy) spends alot of time among laypeople, may have had a similar experience.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Francis is basically enacting John Paul I's papacy. I think he would have set the Church on a path remarkably similar to the one Francis is charting.

Francis was voted for in part because he hadn't given much indication of being what he turned out to be, and I think the change in mindset after taking office is part of that. Would he win an election now? I really don't think so. Most of the cardinals like the status quo, in no small part because most of them benefit from it.

There's no way Francis is going to have a long papacy-- he's too old for that. He's 77 years old now. The longest anyone can reasonably hope for is maybe to 85 or so, but there's no way to know how long he'll be in the kind of shape he's been in, which has been excellent, given his age. Mentally and physically, he's sharp. No guarantee it will stay that way.

The essential aspect of Francis that sets him apart from most others (particularly in the higher echelons of the Church) is his pastoral concerns, vs. doctrine and dogma. It's not difficult to imagine him mingling with everyday people, and apparently he's done that on many occasions since becoming pope (rumors have had it that he would dress as an ordinary priest on occasion and give out alms). Conversation with people comes easily to him by most accounts. That kind of stuff matters-- maybe not as much now as in the example he sets for future priests and bishops.

Remember, Francis has to deal regularly with people (both in the clergy and otherwise) who love the ritualistic aspects of the faith and who care deeply about doctrine and dogma and all of that. That's what being Catholic is about to them, and not so much about interacting with real people.

Francis certainly has a sense of humor-- he demoted Cardinal Burke to being in charge of the Knights of Malta, which is a charity-based group.

Debo, Drac39, Vaderize03 and 3 others like this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol im so happy that wasnt just a rumor about burke. Obi-Zahn Kenobi are you sure we couldnt convince you to support a burke-headed anti-papacy? what if it was based in greece? what if he agreed to do a greek accent?

16. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    My fear KW is that once Francis is gone that the Cardinals will deliberately elect an ultra conservative Pope in retaliation who will find it much easier to enact harsh changes to undo everything Francis has tried to do.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    also as long as we're raising the spectre of john paul I, can we talk about how francis has managed to avoid assassination this long? dude must sleep with one eye open

18. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    If anyone assassinated him it would vindicate everything he has said so far and he'd be a martyr.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yah but that's kind of the way of popes anyways. you just replace em with the next pope. like i said, it worked with JPI

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I say Cardinal Kasper should be the next Archbishop of Canterbury. Now that would be an anti-pope I would get behind.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Here's a fun little bit

I know Illinois is atypical but our Republican candidate for Senate flip flopped his position on Gay Marriage two weeks before the election because he knew it was political suicide to keep going down that path.

It may be disingenuous but it's fun seeing a Republican(even those in a liberal state) realize that their own self-preservation hinges on supporting gay marriage.

Juliet316 and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wouldn't single out Republicans. Recall that our current president and his likely successor both "evolved" on the issue of same-sex marriage only when it became politically untenable to be a major Democratic politician and be against it. And that wasn't more than a few years ago.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    To be fair, you don't really become pro-gay marriage until you hit level 16 or so.

24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Oh don't get me wrong I agree wholeheartedly and I don't think anyone properly held Obama accountable for that. I'm just saying it's even more ironic and fun when a Republican, the group that is marketed as Christ's vassal for decency on earth, is forced to do it.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Is that a feat requiring enough ranks in Bluff?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.