main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. JuicyKetchup

JuicyKetchup Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2015
    The problem with these satirical news shows is that many people take them seriously.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't but occasionally Jon Stewart is the only one who will show clips of those idiots just plain talking without the spin.

3. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    UNLIMITED POWER likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i keep thinking his name is "roy kohn" and then i remember its "roy moore" but then i just shrug and go right back to thinking of him as "roy kohn"

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The most interesting thing about this is that when SCOTUS denied the appeal, Thomas posted a dissent wherein he essentially leaked spoilers from the next session. He basically said the court should wait until issuing its decision in the gay marriage case before allowing all these states to go ahead.

Indecorous, he called it. Yes, because the most important thing here is decorum and not a constitutional right everyone (even he) knows is coming.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It looks like the majority of counties are refusing to issue licenses. Is it a little sadistic of me to hope that troops have to come in to force progress?

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ****ing ridiculous and disgusting.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's interesting, because the issuance of marriage licenses (though performed by probate courts) is an executive rather than judicial function. The governor of Alabama has said he disagrees with the ruling, but that he'd follow the law. Alabama's chief justice really has no say here.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    A few couples I know got turned away in Lee County. They headed thirty minutes south to Montgomery instead.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Is this the thread for the rest of us as well, or just homosexuals? Other sexual orientations and stigma that may come with them are not as...err...popular, but they exist.

I have an urge to discuss an issue that may or may not come as an integral part of who I am and I am interested in allosexuals' view on it.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I say discuss it. Why not?

Juliet316 and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Discuss away.

Juliet316 and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks. :)

It's the concept of amatonormativity. I didn't know there was a word for what bugs me about the world in general, a word I need to use when friends disappear because they found a lover and a word for whatever the magazines want humans to be; but ever since I found it, a year ago or so, I've been noticing these things more and more.

"Amatonormativity is “the assumption that a central, exclusive, amorous relationship is normal for humans, in that it is a universally shared goal, and that such a relationship is normative, in the sense that it should be aimed at in preference to other relationship types"

And whenever I talk to this to somebody who is, say, not an anthropologist, psychologist and such; people get me completely wrong. I have absolutely nothing against human beings being in perfectly conventional love, I have a problem with how expected that is in conversations among friends, on television, in books, everywhere and how we validate each other based on that.

Sometimes, I literally get minor fits of rage over this - partly because I fear for my own artistic expression, for how friends may perceive me; but at the same time, I've seen people get triggered by it who are much older and younger than me.

Hope this makes sense.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think I see what you're getting at In my case, I choose to remain single, because that's what feels right for me, for now. Then, there are others who are polyamorous, by orientation. Are you talking about society's [presumed] assumption that people who are not in committed relationships with one other person, or people who are in relationships with more than one person are somehow abnormal? I just want to make sure I know exactly what you're saying.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've had a drink and while the text above looks to be a bit gobbledegooky I believe you are asking.

Does society insist that the normal approach for people is to gravitate towards a relationship of some nature (Male/Female, Male/Male, Female/Female) that is now considered "normal" (I hesitated using normal here)

I believe you are asking if a relationship status is an expectation these days and if you are not in a relationship you are now considered to be outside of the norm.

As I say I've had a drink (not a lot) but please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... that's what I got out of the post. It was a bit vague.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah, a little bit.

IMO there is nothing wrong with being single. Be it either through choice or as a result of being "Unlucky in love".

There is an issue IMO when your mates and colleagues make a big deal about it. If you desire a relationship this can build added pressure which is not needed and if you don't want a relationship it can then make you feel like a bit of an outcast.

either situation is unfair.

harpua and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    All you folks said, but also that non-romantic relationships are invalidated by romantic ones, as well that certain spheres of society may even go as far as to erase people who are aromantic.

I know I didn't make much sense, my foreign language skills tend to vanish for a bit when I get...passionate about an issue. Sorry. :)

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Not a native English speaker? that makes sense.

Again though if you're not interested in romantic love then who cares. As long as you're not going after a horse or something equally icky I don't see why it's anyone business.

harpua likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Something like that: I believe my English is good; just not right now. The dominant folks are sometimes too demanding when it comes to the rest of us. ;)

And yes to what you said, but it does not have to be "me" and it does not have to be on case-by-case basis.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'll even go out on a limb and say that there's nothing icky about "going after a horse." Not my cup of tea, but I'm not going to judge... lol.

Flapjack4 likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Isn't that a paraphilia? :p

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pretty sure if falls under beastiality.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But how do you know the horse consents? Some "two stomps for yes, one stomp for no" kind of thing?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.