main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't see what's hard about it for people who are self-aware and self-assured.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    As I said earlier, I'm single by choice, and I feel no pressure from the media or anything else to change that. I'm not against relationships, or anything, and my choice may very well change in time, but until then, I'm pretty content with my situation. You can't really blame the media... that's not really an effective way to deal with the situation. It's better to just become more secure with yourself and your choices (which takes effort and self reflection--it's not impossible).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    They are motivated by something other than logic: their bronze age mythology. Which is kinda like logic, but not. And a lot more idiotic.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Ben and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  5. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Every time I hear something new about Indiana, I realize the South is not the only place in the US that is bass-awkwards. In fact, I'm not sure the South wins any prizes.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

Here's the photo-op from the signing of this piece of garbage. Am I the only one who really can't ****ing stand nuns?

Hank Hill likes this.
  8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

I didn't realize that Terry Pratchett was still alive and somehow hiding in Indiana as a bigot. 'eh, you learn something new every day.

And the token black nun was a nice Republican touch.

Edit: Ooh...looks kinda like two of them standing side by side. Someone's gonna get a bonus check this year from the RNC.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Our swim team is working on a policy of not participating in any swim meets in Indiana moving forward. Typically we have 3-4 in a calendar year. We have a number of kids on the team whose parents are LBGT, and it doesn't seem fair to ask them to travel to Indiana for events.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Congrats, Indiana, you've overtaken Texas as the most bigoted and hateful state in the union.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

Hogwash. It's impossible to do that since everyone knows the most hateful and bigoted state in our dear union is Kansas. Then Texas followed by Oklahoma. Indiana is fifth at best. They're just over there shaking their tiny bigoted fist wishing they had the pull of idiocy that Kansas manages to wield on a daily basis.

Vaderize03, Hank Hill and Sniper_Wolf like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, figures this particular development would be covered more here than the US Politics thread.

Now the bill is signed all that can be done is for those opposed to it to follow through on what they said they would do if it got signed.

There has to be a sense of consequence to this being done, not least as it establishes one hell of a precedent that could well be widened to encompass others - don't want to serve women or those who are of a different colour? Well, see, this here state said it was OK to discriminate on religion, so it'd probably be OK, after all, business has to be free to do anything it wants, right?

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, sure - that seems obvious. If a business (presumably the business owner, not employees - but, maybe the employees as well?) wants to discriminate against women, or folks dressed a certain way, or teenagers, or "foreigners" or politicians...you can, 'long as you believe associating with them is partaking in their "nefarious activities."

I really REALLY want to see this taken to the extreme just to see the hand-wringing from folks who get the "we don't serve your kind" notices.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits businesses that engage in "interstate commerce" (which has been liberally interpreted, as just about every business technically fits) from discriminating against people due to race or national origin. Anyone who openly violated it would have Federal authorities knocking at their doors, and states certainly can't pass laws saying it's okay. Conveniently for Indiana, LGBT rights wasn't a thing in 1964 and Congress hasn't yet saw fit to use its power under the Commerce Clause to, erm, violate the civil rights of bigots. [Not a legal expert] I would guess Federal courts might still find ways to rule against it, though I'm not sure exactly how. [/not]

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, in the spirit of a certain poster here, I suppose a court could rule that not allowing jurisdictions to pass laws regarding "religious freedom" can be an undue burden - i.e. you can go get a marriage license in another state, or buy your groceries at a different store, or whatever.

With the "right" court, of course.

Whatever.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    One black face in the entire room.

Now that's telling...

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

Actually, looks like two, but they're grouped together.

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Oh yeah....

Either way, this is one of those things that just makes you want to facepalm.

Wait, I did that already..

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm still shocked that Terry Pratchett is still alive and showed up there.

23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm not sure why you're all counting the number of black nuns in a photo.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I ASSURE YOU HE ISN'T.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Haha...I know. The creepy guy in the fedora in the pic was more reminiscent of that creepy dude from Poltergeist.