main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nah. Fish though. Many times. So I got a shot with at least two. Doubling my chances.

harpua likes this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'd guess millions of years, considering it's found so often in nature.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Nuh-uh, the Earth was created only 6000 years ago. A storybook told me so.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm relatively sure Beezer know the difference. Contrary to popular belief, Republicans know full well how full of **** they are.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I think you're giving too much credit to a group of people that have shown very little self-awareness of why they're so despised. Maybe the corporate lackeys know they're full of it, but from my own experiences, the true believers think they're being the good guys by 'sticking it to the libs' or any other group that's 'against' them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It also sets a limit on how far the religious, private sphere extends - you don't get to opt out of taxes because God says you don't have to pay. In effect that means accepting civic rules.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was a pastor in my home town that tried to do that several years ago. He was arrested for tax evasion and still asserted that God said he didn't have to pay. LOL.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Was he running the Pay-Per-Prayer-Salvation?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Probably. It certainly wasn't the Salvation from Stupidity Church.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    There is nothing about the comments in this forum that distinguishes between the different tenets of Christianity. When someone calls the Bible a "storybook" or refers to "Jeebus" (and other such immature, hateful bigotry) they are using vernacular that is insulting to the entire religion. There is no differentiation in their words among the differing denominations.

As an analogy: Anyone being honest (which I know is virtually no one in this thread) would admit that there are people in here pissing on the entire religion but trying to claim they're only aiming for the extremists and that it's just raining for all the rest of the folks.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There's certainly a loud, vocal minority of a dyspeptic atheists. You'll find, though, that most people don't agree with them or use their language. Most people haven't commented on the particulars of Christianity at all. They just said they thought the law was motivated by bigotry.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    No religion is exempt from criticism, Beezer. I can and I will mock Christianity all I want. And a book that has talking snakes, talking donkeys, and all sorts of mythical and magical creatures is most definitely a storybook. That's not an insult. That's a fact.

Juliet316 , Hank Hill and Drac39 like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I believe someone wise commented in either this thread or the Civil Rights thread that she loves Christians and that many of them do great charity work. It's the "Jesus told me to discriminate" crowd that is the problem.

As far as the Bible being a "storybook," many Christians understand that the Bible contains allegories and parables...IOW, stories. Not everyone believes there literally was an Adam and Eve, or that Jonah literally lived inside a whale. I'm not sure how "storybook" is an insult.

14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Oh, you have the right to be as bigoted and hateful as you choose to be. No one is saying you can't. It's a free country (and this forum's rules certainly allow bigoted, hateful statements attacking religion to be posted).

I was just responding to someone who is lamely trying to state that comments like yours are really only directed at the fundamentalists and the extremists.

You might have a point if the comment was made about the Old Testament, but since the comment is directed towards the "Bible" in general, you point fails.

deathraygun likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not what I said. I pointed out that timmo's comments are timmos. Most people fall much closer to the sort of stuff AG Obama said. You know, in the post directly before yours.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I haven't said anything that is even remotely bigoted or hateful. If you interpret it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I disagree. Most comments are painting all of religion (esp. Christianity) with one broad stroke.
    If I spoke about or generalized homosexuals the way you (and many others in here) speak about religion, I would be banned in a heartbeat and my comments would be labelled hate-speech. But, as I said before, it's a free country and you have a right to live in your frightened, hate-filled little world.

deathraygun likes this.
  18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    You actually think that insulting homosexuals is the same as insulting a religion? Wow. That only proves that the right-wing Christian mindset is so far from reality that you interpret any criticism as hatred, persecution or bigotry. Grow up.

19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Translation: Some types of bigotry are perfectly fine. The left has absolutely no problem whatsoever with bigoted, hateful statements - so long as they are directed towards the right people.

Like I said (and you keep proving): If I spoke about or generalized homosexuals the way you (and many others in here) speak about religion, I would be banned in a heartbeat and my comments would be labelled hate-speech. But, as I said before, it's a free country and you have a right to live in your frightened, hate-filled little world.

deathraygun and JediSmuggler like this.
  20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

A religion is an idea and generally your choice after the age of reason. Homosexuality isn't a choice. It's tricky, but you'll get the difference some day.

Juliet316 , V-2, Drac39 and 1 other person like this.
  21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    generally theoretically.
    In practice ones religious choices are often quite limited by peer pressure, the threat of being ostracised, or even murdered in some cases.

Beezer - you wouldn't deny that your holy book contains considerably bigoted and hateful statements though, would you? I mean, you wouldn't be arguing that religious forms of bigotry are perfectly fine, that would be ridiculously hypocritical. Also, who is this 'left' of which you speak?

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    V-2 I was being generous, but you're right—especially if you're a Mormon or a Scientologist.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I have zero hate in my world, Beezer. It's a shame that you have to make up lies in order to make your own argument seem stronger. But hey, the entire Christian religion is based on a lie, so maybe you can't tell the difference.

24. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Timmo, stop making everything so personal. Be the bigger non-heteronormative-undefined-gender.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've reaffirmed my beliefs into something that I can agree/work with.