main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I'm very happy to say that I have not seen a single negative comment about the marriage thing in my FB feed all weekend. Even the most religious person I know was quite respectful. She even posted link to an article denouncing the fire and brimstone, wrath of God warnings that have been going around. I love the good loving Christians!

I had debated going to the pride event in Minneapolis to feel the energy, but ultimately decided against it. I went when we legalized ssm a couple years and that one felt just the same as always so I guessed I wasn't missing much.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Folks are too busy trying to get marriage licenses denied right now to post on Facebook, I think.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I just moved out of Philly's Gayborhood, and into the suburbs, due to our daughter needing a slightly more child-navigable neighborhood but I am constantly back there, since my friends are there and it is a mere 10 minutes from my new house. It has been like the freakin Endor celebration in there all week.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    To add to this, the verse in Romans that people use to justify their oddly irrational hate of the gay community is one that is still puzzled over by scholars trying to figure out what the hell it was even saying, since the word translated to mean same-sex sexual relations was translated from a term with a dubious meaning.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently, Oklahoma, Alabama and Mississippi are throwing such raging tantrums that they're going to stop issuing marriage licenses altogether.

And I'm not entirely opposed just so long as the government benefits granted by marriage can just as easily be granted by an equally-simplified legal contract, which is issued without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sexual orientation.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah...probably not going to happen.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know if these judges haven't gone to law school or something, but they still can't do this. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I strongly suspect that Alito and Scalia would fare no better, except maybe in a rhetorical sense, vs. Richard Posner than did Thomas Fisher last year:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...r_destroy_arguments_against_gay_marriage.html

Posner eviscerated the two of them in absentia over at Slate the other day as well.

Posner just demolished Fisher's nonsense, which isn't really any different than what the two justices were saying in their dissents.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Last I checked, it was Kansas, Alabama, and another state that are the most resistant to same-sex marriage licenses. Heads will explode. Heads will roll.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    So, Texas A&M will begin extending health care benefits to employees' same-sex spouses beginning July 1st. Neat.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

“We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of freedom of speech & freedom of religion."

. The government showed up and arrested him for something he said? Nope. Someone stopped him from going to church? Nope. Then his practice of keeping gays out of his store is discrimination.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *Sigh* I'm so tired of people citing freedom of speech and religion to support their bigotry.

Now that we're a few days out from the decision, I've noticed a lot more people on my Facebook getting 'brave' and posting things like that guy, or liking posts about how the fabric of our nation has been destroyed.

But I did love some of the reviews the store was getting. The saloon doors was my favorite.

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    There's something I've been wondering, after being bombarded with rainbows for a week.
    If this Supreme Court of yours can make same-sex marriage legal in all of the US with one swift stroke, why have we been discussing separate states doing it separately for years? Couldn't they have done this sooner? Woulda saved a whole lot of people a whole lot of trouble.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1. Marriage is usually an issue handled at the state level.
    2. States have been legalizing SSM for over a decade, because of state supreme courts, legislation, and voter referendum.
    3. The recent rash of legalization was based on lower Federal courts striking down state SSM bans.
    4. The U.S. Supreme Court is traditionally conservative regarding striking down laws or setting new precedents. AFAIK, even with this landmark ruling the Court avoided making any broader implications as to the rights of homosexuals or LGBTQ in general.

Yes.

16. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Remember how I said the next step would be to take tax-exempt status away from religious institutions that don't perform gay marriage? Remember how everyone said I was wrong?

Well, turns out I was right (as usual). We are already seeing the whispers. The whispers will be shouts in no time, probably after November 2016 when it will do less damage politically.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    We should take away tax exemption from churches.

18. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks. This was as hard to find an answer to as "What's Greece's referendum about, exactly?".
    So does the Supreme Court set itself this task, or is it brought before it?

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Did someone really just say this?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Both. Cases go up the chain of appeals courts and they can appeal to the Supreme Court. The Court chooses which cases to hear. I think they were pretty much forced to take Obergefell, however, because lower appeals courts had made contradictory rulings as to the legality of SSM bans. Someone with formal legal education can correct me.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    beezer was right as usual guys. see the whispers!

Drac39 likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I hear whispers all the time.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Isn't the point of tax exemption for nonprofits to allow them more funds to do specific charity work that they designate themselves to do?

Not "because God"?

I have no problem with continuing tax exemptions for churches that demonstrate that a specific portion of their donations go to charity, and that charity is allotted in a nondiscriminatory manner. There are churches in my area, and probably most areas, that feed the homeless, help Habitat for Humanity build houses, etc.

But I do not think a church or any other religious institution should have tax-exempt status because "God is good, mmmkay?"

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Those whispers must be pretty quiet, because I haven't heard them.

And even if so some are so whispering, I'm sure it's a very small, probably extreme, minority of folks. Like churches or not, like religion or not, I think most of us think churches are free to practice their religion (baptisms, marriages, etc.) however they see fit.

I'm sorry, though, I sure don't see how issuing a marriage license is "conducting" a marrage against one's religion or stifling one's right to religious liberty. I further don't see how the existence of gay marriage is stifling someone's right to free speech or religious liberty (the small shop owner). Selling items is the owner's business so what is the infringement on the owner's rights?

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Beezer do these whispers have names? do these whispers ever tell you to do naughty things? how do these whispers feel about dylann roof?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.