main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, nobody leaked that Pope Francis secretly met with a gay couple until after Kim Davis tried to politicize her meeting (and Francis has since distanced himself from her).

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I read that she wanted to meet with him. But he went out of his way to schedule a meeting with this gay friend because they knew each other in Argentina.

3. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I read that she wanted to meet with him. But he went out of his way to schedule a meeting with this gay friend because they knew each other in Argentina.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His distancing himself from her has been funny as hell.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The Archbishop who slipped her in to the guest list is apparently getting fired.

6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    But...but...but...she lied! Maybe the Pope is covering for her!

You guys are absolutely insane.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    As insane as the Church pretending Jesus didn't have gay anal sex with his disciples?

You know He did, J-Rod, so why do people deny it?

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I like how your stance in the Atheist thread is that Jesus is a completely fabricated figure and your stance in the homosexuality thread is that he was gay.

yankee8255 and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    This sounds much ado about nothing. So the Pontiff met with a queer couple. He doesn't have to agree, but taking time to talk? Sounds like a big step forward for the Big Roman C.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That part is much ado about nothing.

Kim Davis pretending he's fully in her corner? Trying to use his influence? Not so much.

11. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    I'd have more respect for these people if they were just honest about their intentions.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Which people?

13. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    The funny thing is that the people who use religious views as an excuse to point fingers and criticize others (going so far as to push their personal moral views on the public via government) don't realize that they're actually turning people against what they believe in.

It's almost like they forgot about what the country was founded on. For example, being free to choose what you believe or don't believe is a right of any American. We're supposed to be about liberty, not fascism.

Unfortunately many of those people will never change their views. It's all about being on a certain side, not caring about ALL Americans.

Rabs and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    My wife is Catholic. I told her that I respect the pope as a religious leader. He's affable and seems to genuinely care about people, which doesn't appear to be an act. The Kim Davis story was pretty big, so I suspect he just went to talk and pray with her. I don't know many world figures that would go anywhere near her.

I like how he's personally involved in the global community. He has his opinions, but "love thy neighbor" is a big deal for this guy.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm glad we're seeing less of this nonsense. People need to respect other human beings, but folks like this are full of hate...and I daresay jealousy.

16. Sniper_Wolf

Nov 26, 2002
    Alas, I hope in a generation or so most of the cranks will be gone, or at least not making stupid alusions to BS or anal sex.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I want to hit things:

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

That is awful and inhumane.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It really is.

Ghost and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    cwustudent and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I saw this today. When an injustice is done by the justice system the person wronged must feel like there's no help out there. I love my country but sometimes she pisses me off.

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Great news. They sound like good people.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    FDA FINALLY lifts ban on gays donating blood.

Should be a complete lifting of the ban rather than just saying gays should abstain for one year before donating, but it's a huge change from not being eligible to donate at all.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In practice it's no change at all and in principle it's ****ing infuriating. They deserve no congratulations and I'd invite them to kiss my ass but they're probably concerned they'd get AIDS from doing so.

25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yesterday the Greek parliament voted into law a partial extension of common-law couple rights to gay couples.

The new law is really not much -- it basically integrates into national law the minimal European requirements so that Greece can't be fined for discriminating against gays. Gay couples now have rights regarding joint taxation and sharing of social security benefits, and if they're willing to jump through a million legal loops they just may secure some inheritance rights too. There's nothing in there about marriage proper or, God forbid, adoption.

You'd think something so simple would sail through parliament, or at best cause reactions among proponents of gay rights who would say that it's clearly not enough. Instead, we got one of the most tumultuous sessions of parliament ever (and speaking of the Greek parliament, that's saying something) with the homophobes going berserk and monopolising the debate. A few choice words were thrown around that I can't type here because of the TOS.

For good measure, the most reactionary elements of the church thought they should chime in. For instance, the bishop of Kalavryta in the Peloponnese had his church toll the knell all day long.

Welcome to the Middle Ages.

26. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I agree. Anyone should be allowed to donate. We only hurt our communities with such limitation.

Juliet316 likes this.