main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Don't we wish. Unfortunately, unlike Kim Davis, he's the top dog, judicially in that state.

2. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    So, in one of our local communities things are about to really blow up regarding a trans issue. We have a M2F high school basketball player (on the girls' team) who wants to start using the girls' locker room to change. While this region has been steadily coming along on LGB issues, I'm thinking this is really going to get nasty for Trans equality. And, honestly, I have to admit that I can understand the other side of the issue. While I certainly don't ascribe to the "trans people as sex perverts looking for an opportunity" argument, I do have to wonder about the logistics of an anatomically assigned boy possibly changing and/or showering with girls.

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Actually, homosexuality =/= trans. Trans people may consider themselves gay, straight, bi, or something else entirely. This should probably go here.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. I'm not sure where in my post I equated homosexuality with trans.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh well... hmm... you posted it in the homosexuality thread?

6. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    While I could have created a new thread, T has been included in the lgbt acronym for about 30 years so I think it is still appropriate. It still seems like splitting hairs for the intention of scoring points.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    not really, she was just pointing out that we do have a dedicated thread for discussing trans issues. obviously you weren't aware. no big deal. think she was just trying to be helpful.

8. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    Thank you. The thread is in the Senate?

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  10. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    Thank you. I pretty much stick to the senate with a few exceptions in the amp. With the political aspects of this, I'd much rather have it as a senate discussion.

11. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    darth-calvin d'you happen to have a link to a news story about this? I'm curious about the specifics.

12. darth-calvin

Dec 10, 2002
    It is not out yet. I know about it because I was on an LGBT panel last weekend at an inclusive church and much of the discussion centered around her struggle in this rural area. I got a call this morning that the local paper is working on the story. Knowing the editor and his history in the past it will not be good. Also, the high school had James Nobozny from Wisconsin come to speak on bullying, specifically toward people who are lgbt. The catholic church told students not to attend so the town is already in an uproar.

Instead of starting a new thread, perhaps we can rename this one Queer: The Thread?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We can probably give the other thread a Senate tag and up it. They tend to revolve on separate issues. I've met Transgender people who hate being in the same category as LGB and see it as completely different, and a few LGB people who have said the same.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well if this is the LGB thread one would expect the title to address to more than just G, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, it does? Homosexuality is about the L & G, and I think Bisexuality is pretty easy to lump together with them.

I always thought of this thread as Sexual Orientation.

Where transgender issues are more about gender identity, not sexual orientation.

16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Has anyone ever simply thought as transgendered people as simply confused? Look homosexuality has been around for a while, just ask any ancient Greek. But transgendered seems recent.

I mean really, I'm a man in a woman's body? No, your a confused person in a confused body. I don't know if there true or not but there are cases of people going back and forth.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am not transgendered, therefore I do not know as much about being transgendered as someone who is. As such, I will take their word for it that they are not "confused." It is not my place to decide that their self-identification is not valid.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm fairly sure that there are cases of people deciding they are gay or straight and transitioning too. And of course you then have bisexual people. I assume they are confused too!

No, people are simply more complicated than you, clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    So where does that leave "questioners"?

20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Edit: Nevermind. I thought this was the homosexuality and Rebels thread.

Darth Basin

What do you mean by "questioners?"

21. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    I'd rather not to be honest, in spite of the recent push by activisty types (thanks huffpo!) lots of lgbt people really aren't into the term queer. I think folding trans issues into this topic for senate purposes is pretty reasonable though, they're interconnected and it's not like this thread's super active anyway.

Darth Basin - well the phenomenon of individuals identifying and living their lives as the opposite sex has been around in cultures throughout the world for most of written history and there's prehistorical archaeological evidence for it as well; whether or not any specific case is the same sort of thing as what we today call "transsexualism" is difficult to tell since the technology making it possible to physically alter sex characteristics is only around 100 years old so obviously people couldn't medically transition before then but yeah. It's rare but it's not new.

At any rate it's a fair question; I do actually think the unprecedented visibility of trans issues in the past year or two has led to a number of people who are "confused" in that they're not actually transsexual in the medical sense but are either identifying as transgender or seeking transition anyway. I think you're asking though whether anyone who transitions is confused full stop; and I guess to answer that depends on what you mean by "confused."

darth-calvin and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    LGBTQ I was told the q means an adolescent unsure (questions)

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sorry for the double post but I didn't mean to open a can of worms. There is so much pressure how can some folks not get confused.

24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Right. The Q can also mean Queer as well.

Pressure from where exactly though? I know sometimes parents who don't believe there child is gay/lesbian/transsexual will try to tell them that they need to be straight etc even if the child is gay etc. Because they think the child isn't 'normal'.

That can put pressure on an individual.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sexuality is also somewhat fluid. A person can be attracted to one person or one gender when he/she is younger and then another when he/she is older. Some people are not aware that they are gay until they fall in love with someone of the same gender.