main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    This is even worse than the time they stopped mandating prayer in schools. If we don't make them attend religious services how can we continue to claim that this is a christian nation? God's not going to love America for much longer, at this rate.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Dear Andrew

Thank you for the invite to your wedding. I confirm that in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. 19-3-11(d) I do hereby give you notice that I have elected to exercise my discretion in favour of attending your wedding. However, I also do hereby give you notice that in in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. 19-3-11(d) all of my rights are hereby reserved in relation to the provision of any subsequent notice (to be served upon you at any time prior to the day of the said wedding as per the date specified in your invitation) in which I may notify you of a change in the exercise of my discretion in favour of not attending your wedding. As you will appreciate, the decision whether to attend your wedding,or not attend your wedding (as the case may be), is a matter of discretion in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. 19-3-11(d), therefore you hereby agree to indemnify me and hold me harmless from and against all claims, damages, liabilities, losses, costs, lawyer's fees, catering fees, beverage fees and other associated costs arising out of, or relating to, any decision by me whether to attend your wedding, including, but not limited to, any decision not to attend.

Sincerely

Paul

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure of the answer to that, but Pro-equality groups are planning a legal challenge.

This all came about because Charlotte passed a law allowing transgender people to use the restroom of the gender they identify with. It's a massive "**** you*" to all the "evil liberals" who live here, even though our City Council does not make laws for the rest of the state.

The governor plans to sign it, therefore ridding himself of any respect I ever had for him, including when he was mayor.

*Actually it's more like a "bless your heart" because they are far too passive-aggressive for an honest "**** you"

5. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    At first glance, this appears to be a back door way of covering people like photographers and bakers. If a photographer cannot be forced to attend a gay wedding then they cannot commit to the job. For bakers, from my experience, many of them attend the wedding reception to cut and serve the cake (since they often involve removing dowels and elaborate cake decorations) so same thing for them.

EDIT: But I haven't fully looked at the bill to know this for sure.

6. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Horrifying. Surely the bill will be defeated or, if it passes, will be challenged on constitutional grounds. A man is suddenly concerned for the future, and is glad he doesn't live in North Carolina or Georgia.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Ugh, I hate this North Carolina bill with a passion, and while I'm confident it won't stand forever, it still sucks for trans people in the meantime. It sucks for folks like me! I get mistaken for a man allllll the time, though I'm not one, and I can just see the interrogations (at best, god forbid the worst happens) I'd be facing if I tried to use the ~legally and personally correct~ bathroom in North Carolina if the wrong person happened to be in there, too. I mean, I get regularly harassed in good ol' New England where, AFAIK, there are no laws like this. At least I'd have the right of things if I took my harasser/assaulter to court, though a successful court battle is so much less desirable than not getting harassed/assaulted in the first place. I imagine the same goes for the trans folks who will now be forced into the bathrooms that don't match their gender. Sure, any trans woman who gets assaulted in the men's restroom was legally in the right place. But that's little consolation after the damage has been done.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The footage of a trans woman crying in front of our ****ty legislators because she does not feel safe in the men's room was heartbreaking.

On a better note, a trans man tweeted to Pat McCrory that "I now have to use the same restroom as your wife because of this law." ***damn that was funny.

DavBacca, beebee-ate and Aphra like this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Tracy... you need to leave NC. You're far too awesome to live in that backwards hellhole.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm staying long enough to vote in November; after that we'll see. I'm looking at other places.

harpua likes this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Disappointing to hear this news from NC. I'm sure it won't stand, and hopefully the legal challenge doesn't take years to make things right.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We may lose the NBA All-Star game and have several large companies pull out of the state if this does not get repealed.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    That varies by the individual. We don't even know if it's that factor of biological causation or not.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I could only see gay people wishing they were straight if they were very young and impressionable and lived in a backwards area surrounded by adults who think that being gay is something that needs to be "fixed."

And they are better off understanding that that line of thinking is what needs "conversion therapy," not homosexuality.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've signed a petition to get it repealed, for whatever that's worth. And more and more businesses are threatening to not operate here.

Meanwhile, the Governor of Georgia has vetoed similar legislation.

Juliet316 and Ghost like this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have to say that I genuinely did not know that North Carolina was this backwards. I mean, I feel like, up until recently, places like Oklahoma, where I live, and Alabama and stuff get the bad rep for stuff like this. But I rarely heard people talking that way about NC until I met you. And now it seems to have finally broken on a national level. But, yeah, it sounds pretty terrible.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Up until the current General Assembly got elected, we were considered fairly progressive compared to the rest of the southern US. It's really gone downhill the past few years. Just one example other than this bill and Evilmendment One: we have gone from one of the top 15 or so states for education to the bottom since this GA took over.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Jesus. I mean, that alone should be unacceptable enough to get everyone of those people thrown out of office. If a state's populace is really okay enough with that kind of drop in education to keep electing those responsible, then I just don't even know what to say.

20. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
  21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah. Gerrymandering is just political gamesmanship at its most cartoonish and blatant. I don't know how anyone thinks that's okay. It would be nice if more of the public at large knew about and understood that. It's as big an issue as money in politics, I think, in terms of keeping the government screwed up but I even forget about it a lot of the time myself.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In North Carolina, there is also the fact that our last two Democrat Governors, Mike Easley and Beverly Perdue, both had corruption scandals around them (Purdue when she was Easley's lieutenant governor), and a few Democrat General Assembly members did as well. In my parents' district, for example, the Republican in the GA is among one of the worst but his Democratic opponent was in jail on felony charges at election time.

Purdue did not announce that she would not seek re-election until late 2011, giving the Democratic candidate, Walter Dalton, very little time to prepare, which pretty much guaranteed a McCrory victory although he lost in 2008.

Since this GA took over, they have accelerated the gerrymandering to try to ensure re-election for themselves, and McCrory, who was a moderate Republican when he was mayor of Charlotte, has allowed them to bully him.

He's also got conspiracy theories on his page about Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts making **** up about similar legislations in other state, so maybe he's just lost his mind like the rest of his party.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Not surprised considering the amount of pressure that was planed on Georgia's Governor by several businesses including TV and film productions (including Disney/Marvel and AMC which films The Walking Dead there) to veto that bill.

Springsteen just announced he was cancelling a concert in NC over NC House Bill 2.