main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Interesting way to bump the thread.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Beezer may have found a friend!

Juliet316 and TrakNar like this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    They should meet my brother.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just posted this in the Gun Control thread but it is probably more appropriate here.

Apparently the lieutenant governor of Texas tweeted "God cannot be mocked, man reaps what he sows " as a "reason" for the shooting.

Jedi Ben and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So there's gonna be a recall initiative, right?

Ghost likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We can hope. I got the info from a Texan who was NOT happy.

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Really? A Muslim extremist kills 50+ people at a gay bar, but it's the Lieutenant Governor of Texas who draws your ire?

removed , but Lt. Gov. Patrick tweets biblical passages on a regular basis, especially on Sunday's. And while that was one of the passage he tweeted today, there is absolutely nothing that connects that passage to this morning's tragedy or gives that passage as "a reason for the shooting." It is just typical left wing hate, fear and lies.

I don't know where you got the idea that it's okay to flame anyone, including moderators, at will, but you cannot.

V-2 likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sorry we hold our elected officials to a higher standard than terrorists.

At best, it was a terribly ignorant and tone-deaf tweet. Otherwise, he seems to be implying it was justified, that "man reaps what he sows" for "mocking God." It's not like we've never heard Republicans characterize same-sex relationships in that way before. Absolutely disgusting.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    edit. forget it. not worth the effort

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Why is setting the record straight offensive? His twitter account is chock full of these Biblical passage cards.

Here is the tweet in question. Please tell me how this tweet gives any sort of "reason" - or any connection whatsoever - to the shooting.

• Dan Patrick@DanPatrick 2h2 hours ago
      Have a blessed Sunday!pic.twitter.com/RaoitzD7fV
    • [​IMG]

5:30 AM - 12 Jun 2016 · Details
      3 retweets 15 likes
      Retweet
      Retweeted

Liked
      More
      • Copy link to Tweet
      • Embed Tweet

• [​IMG] Dan Patrick@DanPatrick 3h3 hours ago
      pic.twitter.com/lk4T40Mu7B
      [​IMG]

5:00 AM - 12 Jun 2016 · Details
      25 retweets 34 likes
      Retweet
      Retweeted

Liked
      More
      • Copy link to Tweet

• You're being lied to. There is absolutely nothing in any tweet that ties those passages to this morning's horror. He tweets biblical passages on a regular basis, especially on Sunday's. You're being told something that just isn't there.

V-2 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ghost is correct. At very best, Patrick is being tone-deaf and extremely insensitive to both the victims' families and LGBTQ people who have heard from some groups of Christians for years that "God will punish them."

Even if his reasoning is nothing more than "he tweets Bible passages on Sundays," how many passages are there in the Bible? And he chose Galatians 6:7 on this particular Sunday...why?

Psalm 37:39 is appropriate. He should have stopped there.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Fair enough. Seems like those are the usual innocuous "Bible verse over beautiful picture" tweets. And I don't know that it's "tone-deaf" really either. I mean, he is the Lt. Gov. of Texas and the shooting happened in Florida. Unless he said something elsewhere to indicate that his tweet is connected to the shooting, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it has nothing to do with it. We all know that people who tweet those "Bible verse over beautiful picture" things aren't always paying a tremendous amount of attention to what the verse actually says or how it might connect to what's going on in the news.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems like the kind of thing that could happen by accident. Of course, I don't know anything about the guy. If he has a history of making remarks of this kind about gay marriage and such, then, okay, maybe there's a chance it's connected. But he probably just did a search for images and tweeted some of them out.

V-2 and solojones like this.
  14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Frankly, that doesn't mean **** because most Texans I know don't even know how Dan Patrick got elected to be Lieutenant Governor anyways (I'd put my money on people who are going to vote for Trump though). Not to mention that he's probably certifiable, people's anti-religious views aside, anyways.
    That's a tenuous link at best. I don't particularly care for Dan Patrick, but to say that the tweet is a response to Orlando is thin. But hey, anything to vilify someone who isn't a Democrat or progressive right?

V-2 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Since he logged onto Twitter to tweet the passages way after the news of this shooting broke, I'm not buying that he didn't know about it. I'm not in Florida either and I read about it when I got up at 7 a.m.

I don't care if he tweets Bible verses with pictures, I'm just a bit suspicious of the idea that he was being an insensitive ass with that particular verse by accident.

jabberwalkie , North Carolina's lieutenant governor and gubernatorial elections are separate, the LG is not the running mate of the governor and they can actually be from different parties. Is it similar in Texas?

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    So, the stance is judgement made without the benefit of doubt before evidence or knowing anything about why the tweet is put out? Good to know.
    Yes, they're separate.

V-2 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Given the history of some groups of Christians and the LGBTQ community in this country as well as the fact that this is the worst anti-LGBTQ crime since Stonewall, and he chose that particular verse with this particular timing?

Yes.

He also has not attempted to explain that he was not trying to be tone-deaf after being called on it, and I would accept such an explanation if given without a "b...bu...but" and with condolences for the families.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I missed where that explaining tweets, of any kind, is a requirement that must be answerable for when a tragedy happens. But don't let me stop you from being presumptuous.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    At least now you're no longer repeating the lie that he gave that passage as any sort of "reason" for today's tragedy.
    You're seeing something that isn't there. Here is another fact that is going to maybe..... just maybe...... give you a different perspective: His Sunday biblical passage quote comes from verseoftheday.com. Every Sunday, he picks a passage from the previous week's selections. This particular passage was Tuesday, June 7th's, "verse of the day." So did the folks at verseoftheday.com folks know something about this tragedy 5 days ago? hmmmmmmmmmmm..............

It just blows my mind that after this morning's horror, you're more angry and have levied more criticism at Christians than you have at Muslims. You have made several posts critical of Christian attitudes towards homosexuality, and I have yet to see one from you condemning Muslim intolerance towards homosexuality. It wasn't a Christian that brutally murdered 50+ innocent people in cold blood this morning.

V-2 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Requirement? No. But he can expect that some of us will react the way we have, and neither he nor his supporters can expect to play the victim and claim he was being "misunderstood" if he is not interested in saying "I was not paying attention and that was the wrong verse to pick at such a tragic time." (Or some such, I don't write politician tweets.)

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I think its interesting that you accuse anakinfan of leveling more criticism at Christians at a whole when she criticizes one guy, and you expect her to level criticism at Muslims when it was one guy who killed all those people in Orlando. Do you normally ascribe all individual actions to a larger group? Do you normally take criticism of one indiviidual to mean that of an entire group?

22. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
  23. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I think the above is a very fair minded take, especially in light of how every week he selects one of the previous week's "verse of the day" posts and this biblical passage in question was this past Tuesday's "verse of the day."

He probably made the card last night and scheduled the post for Sunday morning.

Or maybe his supporters already give him the benefit of the doubt and the only people upset by the tweet are people who are looking to invent any reason, no matter how ridiculous, the criticize the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil Christians.

V-2 likes this.
  24. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Hate to let facts get in the way, but here are direct anakinfan quotes (emphasis added by me):

"LGBTQ people who have heard from some groups of Christians for years that "God will punish them.""
    "Given the history of some groups of Christians and the LGBTQ community"
    "neither he nor his supporters can expect to play the victim"

She is going after and criticizing groups of people and not, as you say, "one guy."

25. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014