main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    But the 2 subjects are not in the same league, Like Mel Gibson is not in the same league as Adolf Hitler because he made some anti Jewish comments.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right, they aren't, but Mel Gibson's behavior is not acceptable just because he is not Hitler.

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I do not accept your definition of the word "mistreatment," but what I am saying is that comparing "mistreatment" - even as you define the word - to mass murder is intellectually and morally bankrupt.

It seems that an awful lot of people in this forum seem unaware that it wasn't a Christian who committed this atrocity.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody is unaware of that. What some of us are unwilling to do is dismiss homophobia in religions other than this shooter's version of Islam, or cave in to the demand that we dare not discuss homophobia in some versions of Christianity simply because the shooter was not Christian.

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    You can discuss whatever you darn well want but fact is an awful lot of people in here have spent far, far more time discussing Christianity and Christian attitudes over the past 30 hours than, you know, the religion of the guy who killed 50 people.

One Christian says something controversial = "Christians are evil"
    Muslim murders 50 people = "Christians are evil"

Talos of Atmora and V-2 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right, we can discuss whatever we darn well want to, and we are. I suggest that if you want to discuss Islam, take it to the Theist/Atheist Thunderdome, and be well aware of our hate speech policies, meaning make sure you are distinguishing between Islam and Muslims as an entirety and the bad interpretation which is used to support terrorism.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree. And it's not a suggestion - take it there, or take it nowhere.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I personally don't give a crap about the guys overall religion.

The facts are (as far as known)

He was a person of a religion although anecdotally he wasn't an ardent believer
    He was investigated for ties to ISIL but they were found to be weak.
    He bought some guns as a result of the US gun laws ability to prevent him from flying but not buying murder tools
    He then went a committed mass murder in a gay club.

Religion aside, this was a homophobic attack. Did the religion have any sway in why he chose a gay nightclub? I doubt we'll ever know, we can make a guess and assume it could but then again based on scripture a Christian could also do the same thing and quote their book as rationale behind why they did it.

The fact of the matter is your gun laws are far too lax and as a nation over 50% of you have zero interest in making your own country safer.

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    According to the FBI, the **** phoned emergency services and pledged his allegiance to IS. IS claimed him as their own after the fact, calling him one of their fighters in an Amaq news report. It looks like he was answering an IS call to arms in the west during Ramadan.

Did his homophobic religion have any sway in his choice of target? Of ****ing course it did. We can jump through hoops to try and convince ourselves otherwise, and make cowardly apologies and employ some racism of low expectation, but it's completely ****ing obvious that his religion inspired his Islamist extremism. And it probably also helped him justify beating his ex-wife, too.

Are Christian ****s also ****s? Of course. But what's that got to do with the price of fish?

The US guns laws are completely hatstand, as you rightly pointed out.

Juliet316 and jabberwalkie like this.
  10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Probably? I'd say definitely.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I love men.

Just saying putting it out there...:)

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Looks the shooter frequented the bar several times, usually drinking and sulking in a corner but sometimes dancing with other men, and once expressed romantic interest in a male friend.

And less than 2 days after the shooting. his father released another of his weekly Anti-Gay Addresses, where he is a pseudo-supporter of the Taliban and pretending to run for President of Afghanistan.

I think we've found the problem. Self-hate that he channeled into Islamist views as a way out to prove his manliness or whatever. I know the father says God should punish gays, not people, but his views and attitudes definitely seem to be an important part of all this.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah it appears he used IS as a catch all for his hate. And now they used him when they claimed responsibility. Sick.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

He also apparently had a profile in a gay dating app.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Anderson Cooper curbstomped phony Pam Bondi today. Good work.

Now somebody needs to get after Rick Scott.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    After Scott tanked on an appearance on a conservative talk show when they found him too evasive, I doubt he'll be consenting to discussions with any reporters any time soon.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stupid is as stupid does, Mrs. Blue.

Reminds me of when Virginia Foxx said Matthew Shepard was just an unfortunate robbery victim.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    So, yeah, it seems this guy was gay himself and driven into a spiral of self-loathing and anger because of it and the homophobic views of his family and the religion he was raised in. And I'm not one to advocate suicide. But if you hate yourself so much that you're thinking about murdering innocent people, just go ahead and shoot yourself. Suicide: Sometimes It IS the Answer.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's what it is looking like. He was gay and couldn't square being honest and open with who he was with his family and the religion he was brought up in. So he seethed with hate and then blew.

Very tragic for the victims.

21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I yearn for the day that sexual preference is treated like any other mundane personal trait like having a mustache or not, or liking apple pie or not. I prefer dogs to cats. Who cares? I prefer men to women. Who cares?

Pensivia, Juliet316, Ghost and 4 others like this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Actually some good, heartwarming news...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...apologizes-to-lgbt-community-at-orlando-vigil

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    **** like this flips me out... the whole "pray-the-gay-away" thing.

When Sarah, a 17 year old in Texas, decided to take her girlfriend to the prom, her parents forced her into an "East Texas Christian boarding facility for troubled teens" from which she has repeatedly attempted to escape.

Sarah was being held incommunicado and must stay for a year (presumably until she attains her majority).
    http://boingboing.net/2016/06/15/family-of-teen-raising-money-t.html

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The LDS Church membership, or at least many of them, are slowly coming around to toleration towards the LGBTQ community.

The latest was UT Lt. Gov. Cox, who apologized this morning to the community for his past comments and support of anti-gay initiatives in the state.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...pologizes-for-past-attitude-toward-gay-people

The Church has a real opportunity here to break away from the evangelicals in their position on taking political stands. The LDS church was fairly new to the political process when they supported the anti-gay marriage Prop in CA some years ago and it really drove many members out of the church or alienated them from it.

They have a chance now to, while not fully embracing the gay community like the Unitarians or congregationalists back East, stand apart from the hard-line conservative evangelicals.

I hope they do it.

Juliet316 and Scapro Tyler like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    UGH.

"Troubled teen."

Not for setting fire to school lockers or beating up kids to steal their sneakers.

Having a girlfriend.

What the hell is wrong with people?

cwustudent likes this.