main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I disagree, Absol. Trans men and trans women have the right to serve, whether they are on hormones or not, abroad and at home. Being provided hormones is not necessary for every trans person, as not all feel the need to have a surgery and/or take hormones, but many do. A surgery and hormones should be considered human rights, or at least be more affordable. People are able to change their gender legally without surgeries in Spain, the Netherlands, and Argentina. There are other countries, mainly of them European, but also South Africa, New Zealand, and Canada, all of whom have better national laws for transgender individuals than the United States does, at least at the federal level. Fortunately, there are eighteen U.S. states where one can change one's legal gender without a surgery, and thankfully, there are more people in the U.S. who are or who have become tolerant and accepting than in the past.

As for the armed forces, I'm sure that the commanders generally want all soldiers to remain professional, and they probably don't care who is gay, bi, or trans. As it is, U.S. society tends to be nicer to heterosexual trans women (those who are only attracted to men), although they are often mislabeled as gay out of ignorance.

Also, to answer your question, hormones can be either injected, though must of us take pills orally (androgen blockers and estrogen in the case of trans women).

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016

I agree that it is a human right, but I also know that there is a certain amount of adjustment needed for many people. This is especially true for hormones, as they can have quite the nasty side effects until the person's system get's used to them. I think a certain amount of time is agreeable for people to have to stay in their country, at least, if not put on temporary leave to make sure that the side effects do not have adverse affects. This is both for their safety and the safety of their team, as some of the side effects can cause mental disturbances that need to be sorted before they are allowed to serve active duty, in my opinion. Just so everyone is safe :)

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  4. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016
    What a horrible thing to say. Disregarding gender, religion, race, and more, no one deserves to be gunned down in such a tragic moment. I hope the "hopeful" part of his title is squashed so he cannot be in the Senate in the future.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    What a dumb troll. Got to admire his commitment to the #hashtag too.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  9. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This is funny, needed somewhere to post it :)

[​IMG]

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Jesus is actually transgender. Since he had no human father, that means he has no Y chromosome, and was born female. He obviously identified as male, but his genetic makeup is clear.

13. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    ^ That's golden.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

timmoishere likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

This...this made my day. Thanks.

Ghost likes this.
  15. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
  16. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    For holding hands?!

[​IMG]

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm just glad the store's corporate apologized to the men.

But I can't blame them for being worried about going back.

The comment about feeling like they were in 1960s London reminds me of some of what's happening here.

Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  18. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The £10 Sainsbury's voucher though.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Spoiler from a soon-to-be-released novel, pic originally came from Lit...

[​IMG]

20. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Re: going back... (I bolded my favorite part.)

"In response, dozens of gay men and women arrived at the store, set up speaker systems blasting out Diana Ross and Donna Summer before heading inside to kiss each other amid the canned goods and fresh fruit and veg.
    [...]
    Rees said: “Both of us have received messages from people around the world who don’t even have the courage to hold hands, let alone stand up against something like this. You have to do so.”
    Asked what he hoped the protest would bring about, he said: “Lots of hand holding, hugs, public kisses. Show your love.”
    A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s, which laid on biscuits and water for the protesters, said: “It’s been a really great event and an important opportunity for the community to show their support. We do our best to make sure everyone feels welcome in our stores but occasionally we make mistakes. We are working hard to make sure lessons are learnt.”"
    Link

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Holding hands? Seriously? THESE PEOPLE ARE PAYING YOU MONEY THAT IS FUNDING YOUR BUSINESS IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR GOODS! THIS IS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN AS A BUSINESS!

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You know as well as I do there are parts of America that feel like we are in the 60s……1860s. :p

23. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I can't wait until the day people can just be who they are, without getting hate or discrimination. About to hang up giving a crap about politics after 15 years of b.s., but that will never include fighting for the basics. Gender, racial, LGBT, religious freedom, etc, in a plural, secular, truly democratic society. Basically, I want to make the future seen in Star Trek a reality. I don't know what's happening on these boards that is causing problems (haven't seen it since I started using the boards again recently), but will call out shenanigans when I see it.

24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I just feel like putting some more emphasis on the word "secular" given the events of the past 6 years.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999