main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I put that in the DC thread. I thought there was a Wonder Woman thread but I can't find it.

On the one hand it's great for representation. On the other hand I hope people don't run with the "strong woman is a lesbian" stereotype.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That could perhaps happen under a less capable writer, but Rucka really isn't that.

I like the way he lays it out too, has a persuasive logic to it.

Plus it makes official what the character's gay fan base has likely believed for years too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

There is one, but it's for the upcoming DC filmverse movie.

4. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Which issue is this falling in?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't tell you Sniper as I'm trade-waiting it - the BBC article might give some indication.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Bwah ha ha. :D

Welcome to 2016, Roy, where it doesn't like you and I don't like you either.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As usual - read the article, don't read the comments.

Ye gods - the arrogance and stupidity on display in there.....

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I read a few. The "Satan's shiny trinkets" ones were my favorites.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It didn't pass, and a lot of gay rights activists didn't want it to, because the pardon meant people basically had to admit they'd committed the crime.

It seems like a well-intentioned intent, but perhaps not the beat tact.

They should instead vacate all those convictions.

V-2 likes this.
  14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, I just figure I should point out - it's as of yet sadly undocumented in many places, but December 8th is Pansexual Pride Day, thus the filter over my av. I know it likely doesn't apply to too many here, but still, just something to keep in mind for those who are in or support LGBTQ

15. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    or, alternately, if you support LGBT people you could ignore it, and not propogate the spread of obfuscatory neologisms and ideology that promote sexist attitudes and division within the community. :)

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    ....Pardon?

cwustudent likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

This post reminds me of being told I wasn't welcomed at a LGBT meeting because I was asexual :rolleyes:

Deliveranze, cwustudent and Seagoat like this.
  18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    "Satan's Shiny Trinkets" is the name of my new band.

solojones and DanielUK like this.
  19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    It seems that many, even those in the LGBT, are unready to welcome or even think of the Q, unfortunately, and I'm not sure why

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

It is near identical to feminists, who will not support transgender women.

21. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    The ****? Seriously? I don't want to believe it, but it sadly makes too much sense

I reword myself then: Seems many, even those in the LGB, are unready to welcome or even think of the Q, and also can meanwhile either ignore or push away the T when perhaps that's what's needed most in there

Side note: I did not expect my post to lead to that lol

22. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    well, the thing is the Q is inherently political in nature. calling yourself "pansexual" rather than "bisexual" implies that you think nonbinary genders are a thing. I (and many others within the community) find the entire framework of multiple genders to be sexist at best, transphobic at worst. so. obviously you're free to identify any way you wish; I'm just reminding everyone that recognizing these newer queer identities isn't a must if you want to be a good ally.

DanielUK - I'm not sure what the problem there is? you aren't lesbian, gay, bi or trans; why did you feel entitled to attend the meeting then?

23. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Not every feminist is like that. I consider myself a feminist, and I have no problem with transgender women. The feminists who get a bug in their bonnets about transgender women are called TERFs by the rest of us--"Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists." As in, "My turf. Mine. U can no has."

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Being pansexual isn't just attraction to m/f/nb people. Wikipedia does a horrific job of explaining it, I would think mostly on account of their "No Original Research" rule. It's very different from being bisexual - which, by the way, does not exclude attraction to nb people. Given what society's slowly starting to accept, the prefix is a bit antiquated

So, no, I call myself pansexual because I am not bisexual

Regardless of opinion of what makes a good ally, outright denying its validity and existence is the opposite of that

Cute acronym, but "transphobic hypocrite" works even better

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, "feminists will not support transgender women" is factually false and an unfair stereotype.

Juliet316 , CT-867-5309, V-2 and 2 others like this.