main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    yeah i mean i'm judging the **** out of trans people who whine about how their thing has nothing at all to do with being gay. because, frankly, its difficult to see how its not rooted in good ol homophobia. because this stuff doesn't exist in like, a vacuum. there's an ugly history of late transitioning het-married trans women doing their best to distance themselves from the gross diseased **** who they wish they didnt have to be associated with. like, you can see it with caitlyn jenner, lol, its this notion of like yeah ok i like wearing womens clothing and maybe ive actually transitioned but hey at least im not a ******. and i'm not saying that the younger activists parroting it today (or spokespeople, or whatever, sorry, i wasn't aware "activist" was such a charged term lol) feel the same way but its difficult not to look at it in that context, ok?

so yeah sorry when it comes to this one i feel pretty comfy calling them dumb and myopic and maybe even worse things, because they're advocating we toss away decades of shared history and community and trauma and all kinds of other stuff, all so that straight people don't *gasp* mix them up with homos. its... i mean i dont want to be all melodramatic here but its kind of sickening tbh.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not all transgender people who don't view themselves as gay are homophobic. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you should jump at assuming the worst, lumping them all together, and demonizing them.

Why are you judging them?

What does it matter to you?

Why can't we try not judging, or condemning, or generalizing/stereotyping others?

I don't see that attitude you describe at all.

If anything, I sometimes see the reverse, with a few gay people going "eww, I don't want to be associated with trans people." Which isn't cool either. "Eww" never a good excuse, and neither is putting anybody down.

But a few bad eggs doesn't negate that there are real reasons why people think "LGBT" should be split up. Maybe you've had some bad experiences with homophobic transgender people... but I highly doubt that's the main reason that's motivating most transgender people who want the split.

Mikaboshi and Scapro Tyler like this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm glad the cis guy is telling the transgender woman that they're wrong about transgender activists because of what they've seen at training. Is cis-splaining a thing? Cause you're doing it. Some people have different experiences and opinions than the public group that you're used to, Ghost.

I especially like the "What does it matter to you?" comment. Like a trans issue wouldn't be important to a trans person.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We weren't talking about activists, I brought up my transgender coworkers and friends, who gave presentations at work about how to deal with trans issues, and Lambda has repeatedly said they were stupid to think like that and are probably homophobic. You don't think I shouldn't respond to that? I'm telling Lambda that some people have different experiences and opinions than the group that Lambda is used to, Point Given. And yes, again, why does it matter so much to Lambda that other transgender people have a different opinion? Why can't Lambda accept they can have their opinion without being homophobic? That's what I was saying, please don't make it sound like I was saying something else. And this whole thing started because we were talking about combining threads, and I talked about how lumping together LGB and T issues has actually become increasingly controversial over the last few years. Don't imply that I'm not qualified to have an opinion, this is the homosexuality thread isn't it? Does being gay myself not matter? And even if I wasn't gay, the opinion still exists, that's like saying a white guy shouldn't get into debates with women over feminism or non-white people over race issues or disabled people over ableism issues. If someone who was African-American in the race issues thread said something like "I'm African-American, and nobody I know actually likes Black Lives Matter, that's just a bunch of activists, they're all wrong and being stupid" then I'd feel equally justified saying "I know plenty of people in real life, who aren't "activists," who do support BLM."

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I hate that 'homosexuality will lead to beastlity' argument. I really really do.

7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Only if you have sex at fancy dress parties.

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Well I wouldn't go around asking your hypothetical black person "Why it was important to them" as you so carelessly did. As for the rest, I'll let LambdaChop speak for herself. My only interventions I've had in this particular conversation is pointing out your smug sense of superiority when you argue with Lambda. You told her she was "misinformed" about an issue that she is literally living through...because you attended some seminar or something. I don't care if you're gay or not, but I do know that I would never dream of talking down to you or "splaining" homosexuality to you.

Also I never implied that you're not qualified to have an opinion. I'm pointing out that it's completely stupid to accuse a transgender person of being misinformed about a transgender issue and then be puzzled why said transgender person cares about the definition of LGBT.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was saying, in context, "why does it bother you that other transgender people have a different opinion? This is NOT an inherently homophobic opinion. Don't call my friends stupid and homophobic." I've said that a few times now, so the context should have been clear. Including the sentences right before and after.

In the first post, I said misinformed, and that was before Lambda said she was transgender. After she said it, which I then vaguely recalled from the other thread, I didn't say it again, but I said Lambda is still wrong about all transgender people who think that being stupid/homophobic. It's not meant to come across as smug or superior at all, I'm just bewildered someone would say having a different opinion (the opinion that "gender identity" exists) is homophobic and stupid, when that has nothing to do with it, being smug to me and saying I don't understand homophobia. And as I said, I've had multiple transgender friends who I've talked to about this kind of stuff, it wasn't just some seminar one day, I brought up they did a presentation to demonstrate that the 6 of them in that job felt strongly enough about it and felt they did their research enough to be able to confidently say those things. And we weren't just talking about a transgender issue. We were talking about "LGBT" and homophobia. I'm not puzzled at all that Lambda cares about the definition of LGBT, never said I was, I was puzzled that she thought to disagree with her is homophobic and stupid and is proud to judge people who disagree especially if they're transgender.

10. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    @TheSilentInfluence
    What causes a person to steal? (bear with me, I promise this and future question will lead back to the topic)

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Try and not be an idiot all your life.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hyrum, care to tell me how homosexuality is excluded from "natural law", or how it's somehow not a part of how people should treat each other with dignity?

13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

(and a prostitute)

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can tell you what is quite the opposite of "treating each other with dignity":

1. Insistence that everyone be pigeonholed into terrible stereotypes and antiquated relationship roles based on gender. (So many arguments about homosexuality being "wrong" are also blatantly misogynistic.)

2. Insistence that everyone follow the rule of one particular religion (or even more than one) that "all sexual activity must be open to reproduction."

3. Insistence on making two adults who love each other into second-class citizens because they are the same gender, but treating two adults of opposite genders who love each other with greater respect and dignity.

tl; dr

Homophobia: the opposite of treating our fellow humans with dignity.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Gay and lesbian people can have children. They're not infertile.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A lesbian couple that I'm friends with, have more biological children than I do.

And it doesn't matter. Every single person does not have to reproduce in order to continue the species.

"I have no problem with the LGBTQ community/gay people/etc., but..." does not often end well.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I know that's why I am deleting my comment

I do want you and anyone else who read my comments to understand that I did not mean anything homophobic about the question.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Quite.
    Usually the preferred statement of homophobia; similar to "I'm not racist, but..."

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Come now It was just a question and That PS in hindsight was dumb as ****. I am not homophobic.

Is there any anyway I can prove that to you?

22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Running into a LGBT thread, asking a homophobic question and then rapidly deleting comments (after being called out) will result in you being labelled homophobic.

cwustudent, Chewgumma and Juliet316 like this.
  23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Jedi Knight Fett, I don't think you needed to delete your comments, you were asking a question based on a lack of knowledge. Not a big deal.

The question of how homosexuality has survived is somewhat of a puzzle in that we don't have all the details, not that it is some impossibility.

It's not an impossibility, as its been pointed out that gay people are perfectly capable of having children, it just seems like a minor paradox.

Take into account the many times and places throughout history where gay people were not allowed to be openly gay, and in fact were often forced into marriage and reproduction.

There are lots of other intricacies involved.

Guys, I think we can cut him some slack, I think his question came from a place of simple curiosity and lack of knowledge, not anything malicious. I don't think there's any need to go into attack mode. I also think he's panicking and backing out like this because he lacks the confidence to handle sensitive issues, he's afraid to offend and get shamed and attacked in turn. Just my reading of the situation.

He deleted his comments pretty quick, though, I didn't see the second one.

B3 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Fine I will restate the question since it was not homophobic.
    Why scientifically speaking do gay people exist? On average gay/lesbian people have less biological kids then Straight people according to this BBC article http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26089486 . You would think evolution would try to make as much of a species as possible. of course there are outliers to the average as anakinfansince1983 stated.

This was not the quote word for word, but it was the general question.
    Thanks for answering my question! You were right about my motives for deleting the posts

The second post was basicalky saying that I know gay people could produce offspring and a restating of my first question.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Do you know loads of gay people by any chance?

DanielUK likes this.
  26. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya I ain't falling for that bait.

Some of you will obviously not change your mind when it's made up so I'll just leave.