main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    np it was a good question :)

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hyrum_Solo

No one here seems to care about natural law. No one here seems to care for your framework.

I could answer your questions but it all seems rather drawn out and tiresome. If you have some point to make, you can just assume whatever answers you want for the sake of making your argument. Such assumptions are very common when making an argument. So instead of playing question and answer with a dozen people for pages on end, just give a lecture with assumed answers, many great arguments have been made this way.

If you have proof that the homosexual act is against natural law, then provide it. If you an argument, informal or formal, or an explanation, or reasoning, present it.

I just gave you a way to say whatever you were going to say, so if you actually have something to say, then say it.

Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  3. LambdaChop

LambdaChop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    i got yer natural law right here *grabs crotch suggestively*

poor yorick and DanielUK like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I've sometimes wonder if the Supreme Court had not ruled either way on gay marriage how long would it have taken for all 50 states to legalize it. I'd say it would take at least another 10 years.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh it would have taken a lot longer than that in some of the southern states. mississippi didn't even officially abolish slavery until 2013.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya I was being pretty liberal in my guess. It would have happened eventually though because the more time passes the more people either
    A.) don't care enough to argue against it
    B.) Start to be supportive of gay/lesbian people

7. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    @CT-867-5309

I'm too stubborn!
    Welcome to my amateurish attempt at Socratic method. Obviously I am a failure at it.
    Since I am not allowed to come the point in my own way, i.e. asking questions until we both arrive at the truth, I will feel very relieved to leave this thread behind me.

But, so I don't let you feel too cheated out of my opinion I will ask one more question:

Is it maybe possible that Homosexuality may indeed be a disorder and undignified?

To all of those that have asked me questions before this reply, I apologize for not having given a proper response.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    just go.

cwustudent and Juliet316 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No, but it is certainly possible--in fact, likely--that you did not familiarize yourself with this site's hate speech policy.

10. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Can I just say, I very much appreciate you anakinfan

Also that was such a bizarre thing to read. What the hell. Why do people do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    How one defines a disorder is a problem... If we take it to mean a compulsion to behave in ways that would bring harm to yourself and others, then homophobia would better fit the definition. It makes no sense to describe homosexuality as a physical disorder or disability either.

Behaviours that are designated homosexual in human cultures are ubiquitous in the animal kingdom. Natural law, as defined by me, says little about moral judgements or dignity, other than they arose from the same process that spawned the things being moralised over. Natural law must accurately describe fundamentally natural processes. Anything that comes to exist - physically or conceptually - has done so through fundamentally natural processes.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

The Internet is like a dumpster and, sadly, a small minority like to set fire to it and run away.

Juliet316 and SuperPersch like this.
  13. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm not a homophobe, there are plenty of non-straight people that I know and like. However, I don't want to be thought of as gay. I have received some sexuality-related insults and bullying, and it feels bad when it shouldn't apply to you, but it does.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "I'm not a homophobe, I have gay friends" is not exactly convincing nor is it going to win you any points around here.

That said, though, anyone throwing around homophobic insults is a hell of a lot more in the wrong than anyone receiving the insults, regardless of the sexuality of the person receiving the insults.

cwustudent and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I wasn't trying to convince anyone of my views, I was only trying to distinguish not wanting to be seen as gay from not liking gays as a group.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But why would someone think you're gay, just for opposing discrimination against gay people? Like, 60-80% of the population supports that now, and there's probably only like 10% gay people at most.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't know, but it does happen in the world. To me specifically, people have made fun of me for being gay even though I'm not. All I meant before was that even though I don't like being called gay, I am not antigay.
    As for the actual reason why people think I'm gay, its not because I support gay rights, its because I'm not cool.

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Does it matter if people think you're gay? Like, so what?

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

[​IMG]

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, I don't think you need to pre-empt that here, because nobody is going to do that.
    You don't need to answer, but how old are you? I first came to these boards when I was 12 back in 2002... and it sounds like you might be a teenager, if I'm guessing correctly?

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't want to say my exact age, but I am not old enough to drink yet. . When I say that people call me gay for not being cool, I mean in the world, not on these boards.

DanielUK
    I don't understand what the gif is, but I will clarify what I said. Regardless of my perceived sexuality, people call me gay because I'm not as popular as them.

DarthPhilosopher

It's not the idea of being gay that I don't want, it's the negative connotations that go with other people thinking if it.

It's unfortunate that our society has that mentality.

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Who cares if other people think you're gay or not? Why do their opinions matter?

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's important to understand that it's their problem and that their comments are a reflection of their bigotry, although I understand that is easier said than done. I assume you live somewhere where homophobia is particularly prevalent?

Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember getting the assumption that I was gay for attending a Matthew Shepard vigil on a college campus in 1998. My only annoyance was in the assumption that a straight person could not care about what happened to Matthew Shepard.

cwustudent, Ghost and PCCViking like this.
  25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think I see what Ferus means. Don't blame him. Blame the backward people he's surrounded by, or the people that raised them. They still use the word "gay" to mock people, like Colbert used that thing he said to mock Trump. It's not just their problem, it's Ferus' problem as well, because he is mocked for being different.

But they'll use any stick they can find. If it's not homosexuality, they'll find something else. Ferus, find some way to stand up for yourself.