main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Pretty much this. You know if you are gay or straight. Someone saying your gay doesn't mean jack. It's all what you think.

It will definitely not win you any points around here. I know from experience... :p

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'd definitely have attended that kind of event if it had been me, I've said before and I'll say again that I am all for fair treatment of homosexuals and I know that you don't have to be one to support the LGBT community.

Yes, I live in a homophobic area where most people are anti gay, and it's hard to live here if you arent a straight white male. It is definitely easier said than done to dismiss other people's perceptions.

V-2 likes this.
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    This in principle, but it's hard to find a date if all the girls think you're gay, and it's hard to find friends if there's a vocal minority (or even a majority) who are committed to ostracising you for whatever perceived slight or difference. Speaking from experience here. I ****ing hated school. Emperor Ferus - the social stuff does tend to get easier as you (and your bullies and bystanders) get older. Having some individuality and oddness will turn out to be a good thing. Hang in there brah.

4. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

I'm dead serious. Media bias is real. Tabloids make money selling emotionally inflammatory 'news'. I'm totally with you that what's going on in Chechnya is horrible and wrong. We all know Russia has a long history of human rights violations. If I saw multiple news sources corroborating the article you posted, I'd be 100% with you and ready to fight to change things.

Media Bias
    Daily Mail

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Of course, there is the old adage that if you over defend yourself on an issue, what are you really trying to hide? If you're not gay, then just tell them to "F.O." and let it be at that. Don't worry about what other people think about you, in my experience 90% of the people out there are idiots anyway.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    A discussion of Colbert's Putin-Trump oral sex joke occurred last week in the US Politics thread, but since the topic has moved on there, I thought I'd post this here. I think it does a good job of identifying and contextualizing the specific reasons why (IMO) Colbert's joke was inappropriate (regardless of his generally gay-friendly positions):

Washington Post opinion piece (May 3): "Colbert may support gay rights, but that doesn't mean he gets to make gay jokes"

I was also disappointed by Colbert's public reaction to the issue:

(May 4 WaPo): "Colbert finally (and unapologetically) responds to #FireColbert backlash: 'I would do it again'"

I definitely don't think Colbert should have been fired for the joke (and of course, the hypocrisy of many conservative/pro-Trump supporters' "outrage" over this is clear), but I wish he would have responded more directly to the types of criticisms made in the May 3 piece (i.e., that the real objection is not to the general crudity of the joke, but for its foundations in homophobic attitudes about gay sex and the "emasculated" status of gay men). I was huge fan of Colbert during the run of his old show, but I found his response lacking (even with his "anyone who expresses their love in their own way is to me an American hero" comment).

7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, but then again, you're dealing with a current political climate in which people can make others lose their jobs through the Herculean act of...bitching on social media over a joke they personally didn't like (i.e. the Colbert scandal).

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Where I stand on Colbertgate:

It's a sad example of the liberal reactionary tendency to attack itself, and a sad example of the right's ability to crudely exploit liberal outrage to their own ends.

Trump's mouth really does look as though it's about to receive a phallus. Trump really does talk complete rubbish. Putin really does have some kind of spell over Trump. The insult was accurate, and the joke, such as it was, was accurate. None of this is beside the point.

Though two men having oral sex is literally a homosexual act, oral sex, even fellatio, is not exclusively gay sex. Neither Trump nor Putin are women, that's just a fact that we have to live with for better, or as it happens, for worse. Claiming that the joke has foundations in homophobia, or exploits audience homophobia is missing the point, and IMO incorrect. Claiming that the joke is aimed at exploiting Putin and Trump's homophobia is also missing the point. The words were calculated to insult Trump, of course, but sexual dominance/submission as a metaphor for Putin's political relationship with Trump is the crux of the joke's biscuit. Both Trump and Putin are sexually objectified, but it's not making a judgement on homosexuality, merely (merely!) the perceived hierarchical relationship between those receiving and giving oral sex.

If I were to choose to be upset by Colbert's attack on Trump it would be for that reason. The genders of the individuals involved is incidental to the issue of a perceived dominance hierarchy in different sexual acts; If it was Merkel with political power over Trump, and if Trump had made a habit of praising her every move, perhaps the joke would have been about Trump's mouth only being good for sucking Merkel's clitoris. For the joke to work, Trump must be submissive to the one who holds power over him. I wouldn't find that joke particularly misogynistic - there's nothing about the act itself which is hateful of women - though I would be sensitive to the objectification of both parties as sexual objects, and of the implication that giving a woman oral sex is less than empowering for a man. Being sensitive does not mean being offended, just to clarify. I don't feel any less 'empowered' giving oral sex. I almost feel like you'd have to have some sort of patriarchal brainwashing or some harrowing incident in your sexual development to hold that kind of opinion! That, or you should get a nicer sexual partner.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the joke were about Trump and Merkel, I would find it incredibly crass, but not misogynistic.

My thought on the Colbert joke is that there are less crass ways to make the very accurate point that the joke makes.

10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I can definitely see different POVs on the joke too (and I realize of course well-meaning people, both straight "allies" and LGBT folks, can and do disagree about it). I guess as someone who tries/hopes to be a "good ally," I tend to land on the side of caution with these types of issues.

But one thing I think many of us can agree on is that it's maddening when those Trump supporters who are not really gay-friendly try to use this incident in a hypocritical, opportunistic way...

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It's not exactly difficult to politically weaponize something like this, unfortunately.

Pensivia likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    cwustudent likes this.
  13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Not unlike his previous work.

14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly to me though the joke rather falls flat when you know someone like Colbert wouldn't be doing the same thing about say Obama and some Saudi Royal, dispite a lot of much more proven dodgy links and the Saudi's having a vastly worse record on gay rights. When in comes to foreign policy I really don't see much high ground for the mainstream democrats.

gezvader28 likes this.
  15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

^^^This

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought that said Indiana...sounded legit.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    More cheerful news:

This 92-Year-Old Has Been Bringing the Same Sign to Pride Marches for Decades

[​IMG]

21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Portland, OR? Woohoo! Been a few years since I went to PDX Pride.

Speaking of pride, are there any out actors in Star Wars? Top of my head, can't remember any.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    None that anybody is aware of.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    According to the article, Lance wasn't apart of the shoot, so it doesn't count.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Serbia now has a lesbian Prime Minister, Ireland now has a gay Prime Minister, and I think Belgium and Luxembourg do too (and Iceland did not long ago). Good to see all the progress in Europe! Not many would have predicted a few years ago that Ireland and Serbia would be breaking these barriers.