main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Honor and Remembrance (Over 30 Writer's club challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Pilot, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Title: Honor and Remembrance
    Author: Jade_Pilot
    Time frame: Pre- LOTF
    Genre: Drama
    Written for the Over 30 Writer’s challenge: Death of a Character

The three of them stood there, huddled together like frail, wounded soldiers against the bitter solstice winds. Staring down at the newly-erected headstone, Leia’s haunted eyes took in the scant words meant to represent the life of the extraordinary man who lay below. The man who meant the very world to them.

Someone should say something.

Leia closed her eyes and waited for the words to come. Just the right words—the prefect words that would express the enormity of their profound loss. She was met with an intense throbbing in her chest coupled with the knowledge that her heart would never beat normally again. There simply were no words.

Someone should have brought something.

She grimaced at the thought of flowers laid on his newly-minted grave. Leia had had to fight for the clean-lined headstone instead of the ornate monstrosity with which the New Republic had wanted to commemorate their hero’s death. Stars, how he would’ve hated the huge ceremonial production they had planned. Leia sighed. She’d done the right thing, refusing to allow Han’s death to become an opportunity for a political agenda. Besides, nothing material could ever be a true representation of him.

Someone should do something.

Leis opened her eyes and looked at her two grown children, marveling at how much they resembled their father. Jacen had Han’s eyes and statue, along with a tendency at times to brood. But he didn’t have his father’s drive or recklessness. That was bestowed completely on their daughter who had his nose and stubborn chin. But, both had his full expressive lips and the ‘Solo smirk’ down to an art form.

Then, without ceremony, Jacen reached into the pocket of his great coat and handed each of them a small shot glass. Jaina retrieved a bottle of Corellian whiskey from her pack and filled the stubby glasses to the top. Leia smiled. Her children. They would get her through this. Jacen and Jaina would be the key to honoring the man who had smuggled her heart from her.

Silently lifting their glasses, they remembered their hero, and toasted the man that was no more.

2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Leia's voice rings very true, especially in how she wants Han remembered in a way that actually celebrates the person he was rather than the public figure. I like how it ends not quite hopefully or with the grief resolved, but there is a sense that she and the twins will carry on with each others' support.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That was very beautiful and well done. A very fitting way to remember Han.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Beautifully written! I don't look forward to any of the Big Three's deaths in the novels. :_|

Jade_eyes likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a heartbreaking, but beautifully written story of Han's death.
    I think having toast to Han is a perfect send off in his honor.

Wonderful job! =D=

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Beautiful story^:)^

Jade_eyes likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautifully poignant and true to character. =D= =D= Very insightful, as well, into all the Solos ;) @};- [:D] !!

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello Jade. I love Leia's voice as well. She is suitably unsure of what to do in light of Han's passing even though it appears to have been in the recent past.

I also enjoyed that you kept Jacen alive and on the light side. He would know what to do.

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    You certainly captured the emotions of Leia and the kids on losing their husband and father. Well done. =D=

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Nicely done! I love the use of the refrain.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone!

Kahara: "...but there is a sense that she and the twins will carry on with each others' support." That's just what I was going for. I'm so glad it rang true and appreciate your post!

Briannakin: thank you! And congrats on your modship. You were born to mod!

Jedi_Lover: I hope that they won't 'do' the big 3's deaths. Thanks for your comments!

mavjade: thank you! Han would go out toasting, I think.

brodiew: thank you!

earlybird-obi-wan: You are too kind. @};-

Nyota's Heart: thank you! It's hard to think about any of them dying.

JediMaster_Jen: I appreciate you reading and commenting. Thanks!

divapilot: thanks Sister-Pilot. [:D]

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Beautiful and oh so sad, lady. I love the silent toast to the man they all loved. And how Leia has her twins to help her through.