main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 5.0! "We've got more Insanity than Ysanne Isard has Cleavage

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Thok, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    100th Post in teh hizzle!

I guess it makes up for the 10,000th post NP stole from me in the other Hoopers. :p

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    8-}

And I use that face really.... rarely...

But it works I suppose... :p

Yes, you know how I get when I'm drunk... [face_mischief]

*Laughs*

Nothing more frightening than a drunken philosopher...

Woo!

-I_H

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Nothing more frightening than a drunken philosopher...

Well actually, a drunken, pissed off Wookie philosoper...

4. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Yes, well, you haven't seen my brother here, drunk. [face_plain]

:p [face_laugh]

5. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I didn't figure Imp to be a drinking man. I thought he was way smarter than that....

6. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    *Laughs*

It is true I am a smart man... or at least would like to think of myself as such

Fact of the matter is.... I drink the sweet, sweet elixer of life itself...

After all, who said anything about liquor? :p

-I_H

7. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    So do you frequently get drunk off of dark matter, or is that just for special occasions?

8. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    More like the weekends....what? It's true. :p

9. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    *Has a big jug of it*

Its absolutely delicious...

Mmmmmm, dark matter.

Hey, gotta unwind somehow...

Dark Matter just as good as any.... :p

-I_H

10. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I hear they use real Rocky Mountain filtered water during the brewing process...

But does it exist?

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    mmmm ... unidentified liquid causing changes to your behavior ... mmmm

And, I have to say that from firsthand experience, nothing is funnier than a bunch of PhD Physicists running around after they announce "free beer" at a convention.

12. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    I'll take your word for it, Integral... :p

13. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    W00T!!!!! 4,000th Post!!!!

Wanted to put it here in Hoopers. :D

I'm exactly 1/2 of the way to the milestone of 8,000! :p Got it before my one year anny too, which is coming up soon.

[face_dancing]

[face_dancing] [face_dancing]

[face_dancing]

14. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Hmmm. That makes me wonder: does anyone here think that the Christian faith will die out in the far future? And if not, why?

How are Santa and the Easter Bunny trivial? They are part of our culture and culture is most certainly not trivial.

In other news, I feel grouchy because I just got crushed in Risk.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    IH, you realize that Christianity is just another pagan cult that just happened to last longer than the rest. Though it might look like some modern established religion, it is--in fact--outdated and rooted in peasant myths.

Is there anything wrong with that? No.

But it is no different from any other ancient religion. If you want a rationalist and modern religion, I recommend the Big Spaghetti monster. :)

16. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    That would be Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I question your status as a Pastafarian.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're right to do so, since I am not one. :)

As an ideologically balanced and disinterested person, I am capable of arguing for things that I am not a part of--unlike many people.

So thanks for the correction. ;)

18. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I have the feeling I'm putting my foot in the trap, but...

Christianity is not a pagan religion. Just because it was regarded as a pagan religion in the past does not mean that it is one today.

How is Christianity outdated? And how are you using the word modern in your post? Also, what makes Christianity a cult and not a religion?

19. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    *appears by the bar and smacks down a twenty*

I was Hoopers Magic Hangover Cure and I want it NOW!

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Congrats on that 4,000th post YoungAngus!

I am a Christian. Tomorrow, the Easter bunny is going to bring me candy! :D

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    'Fraid I'm going to have to corner you on this one boss...

Christianity is by no means "Pagan." Most "pagan" faiths are polytheistic, whereas Christianity is monotheistic. Most "pagan" faiths originated from what is now known as Europe... Greece and Italy included, where Christianity spawns from the "Holy Land." Any connections it has to "paganism" are of mere surface value, having little to no bearing on the core tenants of the faith. Symbolism and co-opted holidays are ultimately inconsequential to the religion as a whole.

As to it being outdated, I beg to differ completely. Christianity is by all means a modern, established religion. Its early roots are heavily anchored by elements of Greek Philosophy, and it continued to garnish strong philosophical support as time progressed.

Augustine. Anselm. Aquinas. Kant. Descartes. Pascal.

Some of the greatest minds the world has ever known defended and believed in the faith. Their work lends credence to the Christian belief as that being more of a mere cult.

Not to mention that Christian belief has served as an anchor for the European/Anglo belief system, the ideological bedrock of the modern world.

If you counted with that being all Greek stuff, I respond saying Christianity is very much so "in the spirit" of the classical people. That is why Philosophers such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle had such problems with the Grecian Religion. It simply did not satisfy the want of the higher and dare I say "modern" intellects of the day, and hence why the system of belief died.

If you mention the fall of the Classical World thanks to Christendom, you know my response. The Papacy and the Christian environment of Europe allowed it to return.

As to its modernity, Christianity is constantly redefined as time progresses, allowing it to keep up. Speaking for my own faith, Roman Catholicism, our last council, Vatican II, fundamentally redid the Church to adapt it with the modern times. I presume this happens in the protestant faiths as well.

Roman Catholicism now recognizes the role science has to play in the world and has adopted many "modern" ideas that sufficiently qualify it as a religion of the day.

Yes, but I generally do not consider them as cultural linchpins...

Santa is a commercialized perversion of Saint Nicholas, and I don't even know about the Easter Bunny, perhaps it is a pagan relic as whoever said it stated.

They have now become secular embodiments of the holidays, but if the ideas of the two disappeared, would anything really change?

I propose not...

Alright Jello, rip right on in... you know you want to. :p

If you try to stick me with the traditional criticisms of Christianity, be advised A.) I can sever out of any literal interpretations of the Bible as Catholicism tends to view most of the Old Testament figuratively and B.) I, personally, can also sever out of some dogmatic issues as I do not jive completely with Catholicism proper.

My ultimate burden is my own personal belief system, yet I choose to, at the moment, defend most of Catholicism and on a more general level Christianity as a whole.

And lets keep the spirit of the debate to macro issues. I will dismiss micro-issues to be inconsequential if I see them as such.

But if you want to tango, go right ahead. If there is any place I feel myself strong in, its religion, and I feel even stand against the famed Jello and his high power debating. ;)

And pleas

22. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Too much talk, need more drink. [face_plain]

23. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I have a steaming cup of dark matter if you would like some...

24. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    *steals cup of dark matter*

Excellent!

*chugs*

*feels a bit woosey*

*burps*

Mmmmm...existentialist! =P~

25. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005