main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 6.0 " Your liver can?t repel alcoholic drinks of that magnitude!"

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Thok, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is about the time Reynar and/or Nick should show up and reference a certain scene from TDK...

2. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    The opening post was... hilarious.

3. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    A, super-massive Black Hole! Did not happen. Is anyone else checking out the CERN-LHC?

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    That's the one that the conspiracy theorists are freaking out about, right?

5. PTMurphy84

PTMurphy84 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2008
    Yup. Turns out we're safe for now, although that thing...

Look, im all for scientific advancement, and that will defiently provide that, but maybe its just that I have no concept of that kind of physics, but having been on plenty of car and truck and whatever wrecks,I know two things colliding at high speed are rarely good for anything, especially those closest to the initial impact...

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I think the media deliberately mis-leads on this one.

They didn't report as big as this when black holes were being artificially made, such as the in New York early this year or last year, and by CERN before.

But this time, when the intention is to recreate the Big Bang, then they start highlighting the black hole concerns, when they are too completely different risks!

As a race, we have pretty much mastered the technology of containing explosions, so the Big Bang experiment is not a concern to me.
    Science insists that nothing, not even light, can resist the gravitational well of a black hole, so with that in mind, don't make one!

It's like the joke about inventing an acid that eats through anything; cool, what we gonna keep it in?

Scientists of a certain level don't seem to think that far ahead.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, for the love of physics...

We're talking about black holes that are so small the relative dent in space-time might destroy some nearby flies (Granted, what a fly would be doing in a collision chamber is beyond me...). While they are very dense, at extremely small scales I doubt there's even a risk of throwing the Earth's gravity out of whack, much less catching us in the event horizon and destroying all life as we know it.

And hey, if we did make a black hole that could destroy the Earth, we would invariably take the entire solar system down with us, so at least we'd go out with a bang... no pun intended.

8. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Well thanks, but ill stick with marine biology. Sharks are downright predictable next to particle physics lol

9. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Should be worrying about more important things like where you should sleep <.< For example, catching a few z's while on the subway may result in someone coming up to you and giving you a wake up call by beating you with a hammer.

10. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Yet another reason why Philly sucks.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Okay, recreating the Big Bang is cool, but if there's even the remotest chance of creating a mini black hole, I'm not a fan of it. Black holes are super cool (as well as supermassive), but I wouldn't trust predictions or "facts" that we have on them. Black holes make sense up until a point, and then everything is out the window.

But I'm told that they can't accidentally make a black hole out of this, so hey, go for it.

12. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    But without creating contained mini black holes...how are we supposed to create our ships jump drive to get across the galaxy like in Event Horizon?

13. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    You see what happens Larry!?

14. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Alright, before the day gets away from me...

As many of you (I hope all actually) know, the most terrible and heinous act of the 21st century we have seen occurred so far in 2001. Of course I am talking about the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Today I did something that I had sworn to myself that I would never do: I sat through a recounting of those gruesome and agonizing hours. Things have changed for me over the years, and I felt it nesseccary to do so, and to share this with all of you.

I am an EMT-Intermediate, working on my Paramedic license as well as various technical rescue courses. I chose this career because it allows me to bring out my best attributes to benefit those who need it most, at least in theory anyway.

Watching what happened not that long ago, I was reminded that in this horrific demonstration of what humans are capable of inflicting on each other, I also realized something else: It demonstrated what it truly means to put yourself in harms way for another.

Those who ran in were rescuers first, weather they were firefighters, medics, police, city personnel, man, woman, black white, or what other tag you could possibly apply to them. The fact is that they ran in to save those who were in their darkest hour, to bring hope to those who had lost it. They never gave up, even when the smoke banked down and the debris blocked the way.
    When the calls became more frantic and the fire raged, they never gave up.

Even when the building crumbled and fell around them, they never gave up!

Today I cried not only for the nearly 3,000 people who died in total, I wept for my 411 brothers and sisters who put themselves in harms way that day and indebted our lives to them with theirs, who proved that even in the face of the worst conditions, there are people who are willing to show even more courage than the cowards who perpetrated the murder of 2,975 people.
    Even as I write this now, I still have a tear in my eye thinking about it.

I realize, as I always do when reminded of their sacrifice, that when I took my oath, when I undertook this profession, my duty is now to serve in a manner befitting their memory.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this was a bit heavy for the bar, I just had to get it off of my chest as it were.

15. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    I drank a few beers today in memory.

16. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Just listened to radio broadcasts about it while going to and from my college and my US History professor had us watch a tribute someone made for 9/11 [face_worried] Was nice though I wish I could've thought of something better to do for this day [face_flag]

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Where were you...when they built that ladder to heav-ennn....nine eleven nine eleven wooooooo.....

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, that's another good reason to stop the supercollider spinning up and firing. Its black hole won't destroy the Earth, it'll just displace it to Hell.

:D

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So I attended that lecture on the LHC and it was extremely enlightening. Here's hoping they find the Higgs' particle. *Raises his glass of coffee in a sort of toast before downing it*

There's also going to be some interesting research into decays for Top flavor Quarks, which I thought was awesome, but that's just not the part that makes the news.

20. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    It still makes my head hurt...

In other science news, the first images and video of an Okapi taken in the wild were made this week. Funny looking thing but its surprising how much of the natural world we don't know about

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Drinks all around. On me.

22. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Right on.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I love how there have been Okapis in zoos for years and yet only now we get photos/videos in the wild. Those crazy zoologists...

*Sips his free drink*

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    *frowns from outside Reality*

I used to get given lots of Wildlife periodicals when I was a kid, National Geographic weekly things, and if an okapi is a deer-like animal with different patterns of fun on different parts, then I'm sure I have seen still pictures from the Wild before.

Of course, one bit of long dried grass looks like any other bit of long dried grass, so I suppose my picture could have been staged...

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, I think what the case actually is is that it's still alive in the wild, and now they have photo confirmation rather than just eye-witness accounts. Apparently they were afraid the wars and poaching might have wiped it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.