1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.0 - "Keeping blind people away from Priuses one step at a time"

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Thok, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    *wince* I am going to pretend I am not tech savvy at all and thus have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about there. Nope, no idea whatsoever ... :p

Ya Dune!
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    For the record, the important part there is that I clearly endorse purchasing the product via legal means.:p
  3. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I actually have got really into iTunes recently. In fact, I find it to be an incredibly dangerous application. Once you've entered your card details the first time, the rest is just a simple click...and at four in the morning when you're in the mood to buy an album or watch a show, and you're too tired to think rationally about it, it's just all too easy...

And my parents thought that money went towards the rent. [face_liarliar] [face_worried]
  4. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh]

Ahh, I never got into iTunes myself. I didn't have a credit card that worked online until recently (blasted security concerns!) and gift cards seemed like such a bother. Then there was the fact that Aussie ISPs charge by gigabyte... :oops:
  5. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It's definitely a combination blessing and curse. As a metalhead, it's more or less the only way I can purchase albums from bands I like, since retailers tend to avoid anything that won't sell at least 100,000 copies. Of course, this also puts a sizable dent in my wallet that wouldn't exist if that sort of "convenience" weren't present.
  6. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that's the same with the connection at my mum's house. She went mental over Christmas because her internet bill had skyrocketed...dating from the exact period that I was back home.

And it was me, of course. But I shamefully took advantage of my mum's lack of IT savvy and planted in her head the idea that it was probably down to my little sister and all the time she was spending on MSN messenger.
  7. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I can't tell what's worse, that you blamed your sister or that such a pricing structure exists.

... I'm leaning towards the latter...
  8. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The latter. Definitely the latter.

Blaming younger siblings is par for the course, really. But don't tell my younger brother I said that. :p
  9. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    WTF? I thought all Australian ISPs simply shaped you, not started charging by the gig! God Almighty, Xan, which ISP are you with? One that calculates bandwidth on an abacus??? :D :D

(And shaping really, really, sucks too. Just thought I'd say that as well.)
  10. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Sometimes I think governments ought to just subsidize the whole affair and provide unlimited internet access, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Or should I say it's a tube dream?:p
  11. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Err... shaped?

For the first few years I was with Ye Olde College Internet, which allowed us a grand total of 800mb/month and charged ... like ... AU$20 per gigabyte on top of that. Which: ridiculous, yes. :p Then we had Internode, which was awesomer and charged less exorbitant amounts for usage above the cap, but was still capped.

Ha ha, Ramz. :p
  12. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I am converted.

The 11th Doctor, new companion, and Steven Moffatt as the new show-runner!

The Doctor, to an alien battle-fleet: "Hold on, who said you could go? Shadow Proclamation, this is a Level Five protected planet. And you were going to incinerate it? What? Get back here, NOW."

As for charging by the Gig, my home internet connection - netbook (like a palmtop) connected by a dongle that taps me into the 3 mobile phone network, is £10 Sterling for 1GB or thirty days.

Ah, Barkeep', a bottle of Peroni beer please, no need for a glass.
  13. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    Happy Easter people!

*snoozes on top of the bar, using this last day of Spring Break for excessive sleeping!*

I-)
  14. Kahn_Iceay Force Ghost

star 5
    *uses his masterful ninja skills to steal Sarge's Dew*
  15. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    *immediately awakens* :eek:

RAWR! *pounces on the kahn* [face_skull]
  16. Kahn_Iceay Force Ghost

star 5
    GAH! *flails*

[image=http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-flail-2605.jpg]

no... not that...

[image=http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u138/cmorrisphoto/waving.gif]

yeah thats more like it
  17. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    *gnaws on his head while he flails around* Minemineminemineminemineminemine! [face_skull]
  18. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
  19. Kahn_Iceay Force Ghost

star 5
    Ahhhhhhh *runs around in circles*

*trips over Sinre* oof!
  20. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    So I tried Mountain Dew throwback today.

It's... different. It's certainly got a mellower taste than I was anticipating, to be sure.[face_thinking]
  21. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    *Sits at the bar*

I'll have the usual.
  22. Sarge221 Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't really like Throwback. It's fine but the natural sugar makes it a bit too sweet for me :p
  23. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Shaped: v., slang.
    (1) A process whereby after a user's use exceeds a certain number of megabytes, that user's Net speed is dropped to around 64 KbP/S so as to discourage them from downloading files further, and to make room for others on the information superhighway;
    (2) An act of ****ery perpetrated by greedy ISPs who want more Lexuses than they want information to be free, yo.
  24. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ah, gotcha. :p We called it 'capped', but it amounts to the same thing.

To me 'shaped' brings to mind either Yuuzhan Vong shaping or shaped charges to blow things up, which is why I was confused.
  25. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, my parental unit ascribes to theory that a shaped charge is a good way to solve a computer problem so whatever works:p
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.