main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.0 - "Keeping blind people away from Priuses one step at a time"

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Thok, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Knowing the edition is the key thing. If you're intending on playing 3.5 edition, then you wouldn't touch a pixie to play a wizard, because of this thing called level adjustment. In an official D&D game, you wouldn't be a level 6 wizard pixie, you would actually be a level 2 wizard -- to make up for the massive advantages a pixie gets at the front end of its progression, it gets nerfed by four levels compared with everyone else. This is Bad, as in BAAAAD, because 3.5 edition prioritises magic over all other forms of pwnage. Literally the less magic you cast, the less powerful your character is. You are basically giving up four levels of spell for some bonuses to DEX, INT, WIS, and CHA. Oddly, this probably makes the pixie a decent martial character -- Paladins benefit from at least three of these attributes, and their casting is pretty crap, so it doesn't matter.

Much of what I'm saying might be a bit moot since I have a funny feeling you're playing fourth edition rather than third, but in passing, a handbook for building pixie characters is here.

Ramza's advise is good. Basically, as far as you can you shouldn't be a one-trick pony in D&D. Your riff will eventually get built against by a smart DM. Best way to avoid this is to be a caster and level up as a caster as quick as possible, because your options increase at a geometric rate.

By the way, welcome to the RPF!

2. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    For a pixie? Why not literally rip off one of Tinkerbell's stories (look up "Tinkerbell's True Talent".) Pixie believes her life is not, in fact, all about dusting dewdrops on leaves, but given the class/caste prejudices of her species, she sets out to see the world, meet new people, and kill them?

:D

EDIT: For better advice, what world are you playing in - Forgotten Realms? Eberron? Dark Sun (woohoo!)?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, I doubt it's Dark Sun, pixie wizard would've been lynched well before level 6. :p

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Precisely! Great character motivation.

5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    PIXIES!!! =D=

OOoohhhhhh!

Love ... love... love l... love ... LOVE Pixies!!! :p[face_money_eyes]

*Did i happen to mention I like Pixies!*O:)
    [face_tee_hee]

[face_coffee]

6. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006

So episode three for Spartan Ops released today which means its back to teaming up and putting the smackdown on any Prometheans or Covenant that we meet wi-

Wait...what? Oh...OH! OH GAWD!

THE COVENANT HAVE MASTERED BURROWING TECHNIQUES! RETREAT ALL IS LOST!

(Clarification: Just ran into an interesting glitch on one of the missions. Apparently, when Covenant spawn, they have a chance to sink into the ground to the point where they only have their weapon and the hand that's holding it sticking out of the ground. Meaning it looks like there's plasma pistols and fuel rod cannons running along the ground and ky teammates and I are desperately trying to kill the Covenant by blasting the hand which is the ONLY thing that we can hit XD )

greyjedi125 likes this.
  7. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Mmm. Mad scientists, or are they just minds ahead of their time? :-B:p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's typically a bit of both.

9. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
  10. chunkeymodest

chunkeymodest Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2010
    I think it's Ebberon. We only defeated the monster because we decided the gm had to go down. mind you he picked a Hooked Horror only AFTER we gave him the new justin bieber movie, so I think we kinda earned it.
    Ktala: I love pixies too:D

11. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
  12. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    PIXIE!!!

Orders a [face_coffee] to go, while typing...hehehhe
    :p

No I will not run a pixie campaign..no I will NOT run.....

*snort*

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking as a long-time proponent of RPG self-indulgence: DOOOOO EEEEEEEEET.:p

On an unrelated note, I am now rereading the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus because Proposition 5 continues to haunt my waking moments. Formalism as a concept never really made sense to me until I read that harsh critique of objective mathematical syntax, because I think the mindset that drives you to pursue the sciences requires a certain degree of Platonism and just gah. The lack of access to the university library is not helping this predicament.

Basically, hastily censored to be board safe pic related:
    [​IMG]

greyjedi125 likes this.
  14. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    I...

I have...

I have ANOTHER game in mind.... *cue evil laughter* [face_laugh]

[face_devil]

15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    So, no evil pixie mad scientist types in the near future? (j/k) :p

Uh oh! sees the GMing bug flying around ( oh noes!) shoo! Shoo!! I say!!

16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I have in mind a RPG. Featuring Ludwig Wittgenstein. And Tinkerbell as a mad scientist. Together, THEY FIGHT CRIME!!

Ramza likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Thinking more back on the original question of a backstory for a pixie on Eberron ... on a quick web search it looks like they're pretty rare, but similar to the Forgotten Realms they seem to be most prevalent in the Feywild, which more or less corresponds to the dimension/land/whatever of Faerie/Tir Na Nog from Celtic legends. This page seems to talk a little bit about it. In essence, in the Feywild you're more or less an agent of the system, at best maintaining the status quo. But on the "material" plane, such as Eberron, you can actually influence things.

When all else fails, throw a plotline that brings you to Eberron for the DM to maybe consider. Perhaps your pixie's brother/seedmate/whatever was abducted from the Feywild? And you've managed to pay enough mages to trace him to Eberron, and you're searching for him? Or perhaps you're an exile from the Feywild because you tried to "romance" a fey princess far above your station. Or perhaps you are simply wanting to be an agent of change. Or perhaps you are simply wandering. Or perhaps it's part of your quest to search the multiverse and experience all forms of magic you can (you are a wizard) and this is part of your tour to the Prime Material Plane.

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    And as a triple post, for some reason I have this sudden vision of Ramza undergoing his final testing ahead of them letting him have that PhD...

[​IMG]

Mitth_Fisto and s65horsey like this.
  19. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    One kid is hyperactively running around and the other is crying at every little thing... I want to rip my hair out!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Horsey, you didn't abduct my kids, did you? ;)

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  22. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    So, I get to meet Wintersun and Eluveitie at the VIP meet and greet for the concert 8 days from now! :D

[​IMG]

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should ask Eluveitie what the hold-up is on Evocation II. It's promised in the title of the first one, dammit! :p

24. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm gonna assume its gonna get a release around the same time as Wintersun's Time II next year.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I love it when I really enjoy writing a post, then stop, think about what I just did, and realize it's probably the worst thing I've ever written.

Still, the fun's the important part, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.