main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.0 - "Keeping blind people away from Priuses one step at a time"

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Thok, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    About J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars... First he kills Star Trek, now Star Wars! smh...

I'm gonna look forward to the lens flare lightsabers creating seizure outbreaks in theaters!

2. Nick of Time

Nick of Time Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2013
    As if Star Wars wasn't already ruined after the prequels.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Dude I wasn't in to Star Trek UNTIL I saw '09.

It taught me that groups of college freshman could pilot starships.

Nick of Time likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Kev-Mas:
    Because bow-ties are cool.

Also

a) J J Abrams ruined Vulcan, but not Star Trek, in fact, I was impressed that he kept the one we know and love, largely intact, and set the re-boot in an alternate timeline.

b) Till the venison quips on here, I thought that looked like an Alsatian running along the Stop and Shop

5. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, fwiw, I absolutely hated the latest Star Trek, because it completely goes against what Star Trek is about. Its "to boldly go where no man has gone before", not "to boldly revisit what's been done to death".

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It's a reboot - obviously it's going to revisit everything.

7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, in general, reboots suck, and at least in my opinion, this was no different.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I liked Star Trek - it was a fun movie, it kept the essence of the characters while still feeling free to change things up and modernize a bit, and the core dynamic wherein two individuals from different species and different backgrounds learn to become friends was more in keeping with Gene Rodenberry's ideals than the entirety of the post-TNG Star Trek franchise.

9. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't think that it is a particularly well made movie, but it made me really happy, so I shan't complain. I'm really excited for Into Darkness.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It certainly wasn't a cinematographically marvelous film, no; but then, it's genre sci-fi, I don't go in expecting technical mastery.

Which reminds me, I had a dream last night where I was arguing the merits of Annie Hall with someone who was citing Star Wars as an example of the Oscars being a load of crap, whereas I was attempting to make the case that the real evidence for that were the wins for How Green Was My Valley, Rocky, and Forrest Gump.

... My dreams are really boring, is what I'm saying.

11. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Meanwhile, I had a zombie apocalypse dream one time where the first thing I thought of when my alarm woke me up was "OHGAWDTHEZOMBIESAREGONNAHEARTHATNOGFIAJGODUAJGDNAGLJ!"

Ramza likes this.
  12. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    I like that you think in caps.

Sarge221 likes this.
  13. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think I have to hand over my Gundam fan card.

See, I had intended to wait to watch Unicorn until all seven episodes had come out, but I decided I'd rather be able to watch the last two as they arrived so I could talk about them day-of on 4chan's mecha board. So I watched the first episode.

... And I liked it.

[​IMG]

15. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    *Pats Ramza on the back* There there...

*looks awkwardly at everyone else* What's up with him?

16. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    No idea. I know he doesn't like AGE, but this is the first mention of Unicorn I've gotten :p

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's just rather broadly disliked in the fanbase, so I went in expecting to, well, dislike it, because ordinarily I'm par with such verdicts. Didn't pan out. I just can't not like it, it has everything: the robot fights are great, I like the plot because it feels like a throwback to the simpler days of the franchise, it's U.C. so it's automatically better than all of the other series, and freaking Shuichi Ikeda's voice, man (What's he saying here? I have no idea. For all I know he's denouncing my lifestyle while talking about the virtues of How Green Was My Valley. STILL SOUNDS AMAZING!).

Plus fluffy hair variant Char!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    **Floats into the bar**

SOOOO happy at all the lovely posts that I've had to play with lately!!! :D[face_love][face_love]

Lands gently in front of the caffinator, and begins to drink.
    After filling out lovely bits of posting bits looks over towards the clock...

[​IMG]
    Does a double-take...
    And switches over to Bourbon.

No... Just. No.

I would never make it anywhere on time...lol.:p

*goes back into the clouds of lovely, lovely, post writing!....*
    :D

19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Ah Ramza...and you were kind of dreading it too when we were in the jcrpfchat weren't you? Ah well, we'll see if Unicorn can keep it up. ...Although dat fluffeh hair.

Meanwhile, I decided to check out Kotoura-san, a romantic comedy...

EDIT: Hotlinking fail!

Anyway, despite being a romantic comedy, the beginning of the first episode that begins with a mind reading girl's happy life being torn apart when she destroys her parents' marriage by blurting out their affairs, being shunned and hated by her school, mom abandoning her and wishing she didn't give birth to her, and the stray cat she befriended (since she can't read its mind) being sent to the shelter...yep, wasn't expecting that kind of depressing beginning!

So yeah, romantic comedy!

Though that does come later after all that ten minutes of despair! >.>

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They totally had one of those clocks in one of the rooms of the math department at my undergrad. 9 o'clock was literally everyone's pet peeve. :p

21. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I think I would be very tempted to break a clock like that if I had to rely on it :p

22. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004

Here here!

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Ramza I started looking at Gundam UC...yep, I'm sold. May be the first "real" Gundam series that I get into. 00 apparently doesn't count :p

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Penguinator I think it should work for those purposes, though I'm a staunch believer in following production order for Universal Century Gundams. Not sure how easy Unicorn is to follow without the traditional 0079 -> Zeta -> ZZ -> Char's Counterattack progression.

That said, I have made a handy flow-chart.
    [​IMG]

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Hey, I resent that :p

SEED wasn't as bad as AGE or Destiny :p

(may be nostalgia talking though, and I do prefer X these days)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.