main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    We talking about the dumping of the EU or did something else happen that I missed?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just that. Is that not enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Well, the RP it's led to is something, at least.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, I must confess I was one of those who did not want to see an EU heavy Ep 7. But why they did not leave the literature and comics as they were ... as a seperate canon ... is hard to understand. So many tales which people held dear gone from canon ... not all were good, but people invested time and love into them. A little tragedy how they were wiped away to support a movie that needs no more support than it already has, really.

Winged_Jedi likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So far nothing has been contradicted funnily, bar Depa Billaba having a Padawan and dying in Order 66...

... For our purposes she simply recovers from her coma. Painless.

6. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    The problem (or gift) is though is that, playing in this world for so long, I hardly give a crap about what people say :p Other than my thoughts on the EU as a whole, what happens is still canon to me albeit in its own separate universe. Its gonna take more than just someone saying the EU isn't canon for me to actually believe it considering all that time and fun in it. No reason we can't stop playing in it.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It is still a separate universe or something, right? Hence this Legacy label chicanery?

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Legends.

The old stuff is being reprinted under that label but not continued. So we'll be milked for stuff which isn't part of the story.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Gesundheit.

Ah, that kind of sucks. I guess the Mouse has less confidence in consumer ability to follow "non-canonical" works than the BBC or Paramount does.

10. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    To be fair, I don't much see how they had any other move. It would be folly to attempt to make the EU into movies, ironically enough due to the love the EU has garnered amongst fans. No one would be happy, in the end. We'd either have a ton of just remakes of the most popular books and series, or they'd be jumping hoops trying to find new materials, new takes. I'm far happier to just give em a clean slate to work with and see where the ride goes.

To be fair to those who still love the EU, it does suck that stories won't be finished, and nothing will be continued. That much i can agree on.

11. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh it makes sense, that much I know. But unlike a bunch of others, I'm not exactly disappointed that stories won't continue cause, honestly, things were getting too crazy for me. At the end I really was thinking "EU...stahp...no more."

My headcanon is that the EU ended with Legacy and anything between that and Fate of the Jedi isn't worth mentioning :cool:

Chukles38 likes this.
  12. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005

Didn't want to say it for some reason, but yeah, that first part there. :p

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I loved Caedus, Abeloth and the Tribe so not much I can add to that.

I don't see why we couldn't have the sequels after 44 ABY but before 120 ABY.

14. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    This is just my personal opinion. The Legacy comics were certainly awesome but it was the apex of a trend that I was seeing which came from a growing a lack of imagination. Many of the issues just got reused over and over again except things getting more ridiculous as time went on. It was more than just Jedi vs Sith as it as, once again, you have the struggle between the Jedi and the very government of the GA, something that has been done extensively with NJO and the Vong, then we got to the Dark Nest, then LOTF, then FOTJ. It was getting played to death. Even worse, you kept sending out more ridiculous circumstances that led to Jacen - who I already disliked - worming his way to the head of GA and, once he was done, people upped and gave full control of the GA to freakin' Daala literally overnight! And with those circumstances, those characters we liked just kept doing dumb things in order for those circumstances to play out with Daala, a character who I respected, suffering the worst from it.

The Tribe I thought was an interesting idea although I cringed a bit at how easily they just upped and infiltrated Coruscant so easily and near-completely. Later on this, too, became a bigger problem as it began overusing the Sith infiltration angle. This is, admittedly, my weakest complaint and not as bad but it did come to me later on that between Palpatine's successful infiltration that led him to power, the Tribe getting into power through infiltration, and now - as it was alluded to at the end of the comics - its what the One Sith are planning on doing.

In order to bring some originality to it, they threw in plot points, schemes, and other, minor villains who were, in the end, a hundred pages of wasted space at least. Meanwhile, they kept trying to throw in more fantastic ways and concepts with the Force. While at that end of the spectrum I'm not that adverse to either despite their linkings of the Ones in Clone Wars, it just added to what inevitably made me give up the Star Wars EU: that being they're turning it into something that is beyond what the original material started off as. I'm sure there are plenty of others who call it natural evolution of the franchise and I'm sure they enjoy it and I have nothing against them. For me, however, I just thought it was being turned into something that wasn't my personal image of Star Wars and I dropped it.

The Legacy comics was a good end for me: going back to a more standard, easy-to-follow conflict that made up the original trilogy, seeing our heroes triumph with the weapons, powers, and factions that have evolved since then but still felt very Star Warsy, and bringing the galaxy on the right path to coming back together. I'll be interesting to go back to square one and see how Star Wars will evolve in a possibly different direction and I might even like it.

15. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I need to expand my knowledge in this subject

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    No harm in doing so. But it's not canon now, sadly,

17. Shira A'dola

Sep 4, 2012
    I still consider it cannon. They can't change that for me :p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Good! I'm happy :)

19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Indeedz :p

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    But I do intent to Retcon it as I go along. So far I reckon there is nothing to worry about.

21. Shira A'dola

Sep 4, 2012
    It seems to be most people's mindsets

22. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I have a mindsets? Plural? No wonder my head hurts :p

23. Shira A'dola

Sep 4, 2012
  24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Hey all, just a quick heads-up! :) Intervention: Echoes in Eternity is looking to refresh our ranks! If anyone wants to play in a Original Trilogy game, just come visit us at the Rocketjock Eatery for any questions or information on how to join up! :D I will be out of town this upcoming weekend, but Echoes' Co-Game Master, Sith-I-5, can handle any character sheet submissions is my leave.

25. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    So, is anyone else getting Destiny? *just curious*